Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski Holiday... Questions, questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

If anyone can advise I would be most appreciative. Family of four going to Alpe D'Huez in a few weeks - first time skiing as a family and now that it is drawing near we are TRYING to be as organised as poss. So, with our lack of experience ... here goes.

My husband has skiid before as a teenager and seems fairly confident that he will be leaving the rest of us novices behind in a puff of powder. I have NEVER skiied and although I am very excited about it and been going to the gym religiously to build up stamina I am still a little wary about just how much of this holiday I am going to enjoy and just how much I am going to spend falling on my a**e.

OK, I'm ranting. My first question is... a one year old (going in to the First Choice creche all day)... sunglasses??? are you kidding me. tried to get him to even put them near his face...it is not happening at all. Help. Also, I feel a little guilty about leaving the little sprog by himself (OK, in a reputable creche facility with many other sprogs) all week.

Erm, other questions I have are... Goggles or sunglasses for a four year old?

Will a four year old need her own back pack with drinks, suncream etc for the ski school/ day time?

Mittens or gloves for a four year old ... or does it make no difference whatsoever (I suspect so)?

Has anyone done the Learn 2 Ski programme in Alpe D'Huez (with first choice) is it a morning thing or an all day thing. I rang the call centre and they couldn't tell me. They couldn't even tell me if it was for five or six days.

Any help would be great.

Lucy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

Having skied with 3 children (now teenagers,) since they were the ages your kids are this is what i would do. buy the one year old sunglasses. Might not wear them for you but when he sees all the others wearing them at the creche he'll wear them too. He will need them. They may only go out in the snow for half an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon but their eyes do need protection.

As for the four year old put sun screen on as you leave them, buy a little squeezy tube of the stuff for them and stick it in his/hers coat pocket. They'll watch the others and learn to put it on themselves. Buy sunglasses better protection against the sun. Goggles will steam up when they get hot and bothered!! unless you can afford very expensive ones, which as first time skiers forget it....... IN FACT PAY AS LITTLE AS POSS FOR THE KIDS STUFF, it won't fit them next year, and they won't remember to come back from ski school with everything! No water ski school will provide drinks and nibbles for them. Well they did when mine were small.

Mittens or gloves? I had one that would only where gloves and two that wanted mittens. Only difference is when they are small is that mittens are easier for them to get on and off themselves

Have a great time
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loobyloo77, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now that C&A is no longer, and ski stuff expensive I will agree, although I did buy goggles for my little ones (years ago) for the bad weather days (boy was I glad, it snowed every day except one). Goggles should still fit next year though, so if you can find some reasonably priced ones fair enough. A couple of euros in her pocket for the hot chocolate (I forgot once and kids didn't get a drink because of it) will be better than snacks and drinks. The chalet hosts or nannies will be able to tell you better though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decathlon is good for bargain ski gear.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Loobyloo77, hey... yes Andy Pandy will leave you in a puff of snow, in the sense that he'll be able to ski on easy runs and you'll be just going up and down a smallish area learning the basics. That's not meant to sound negative - it's the best fun you can have with plastic boots on (wellies excluded Cool ) and you can easily meet up for lunch etc.

As for sunnies - I would say they are absolutely essential for kids as there is a mega amount of potentially harmful UV both because of the altitude and the reflection off the snow - so some how or another they must wear proper 100% UV exclusion sunnies...
I think/hope the kids club will make sure they wear them - but of course you'll have to provide them.

Well done for taking the plunge - you'll soon be addicted just like we all are snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loobyloo77, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sunglasses are essential for kids!
You wouldn't dream of going out on piste without sunglasses - kids eyes are more sensitive than yours !!

If your 4 year can put on gloves and get each finger in the right place every time without your help then gloves it is......if not mittens wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loobyloo77, is you OH taking lessons? If not, he could maybe demonstrate his superiority by coping with all the kids stuff, as well as roaring round the mountain, leaving you to concentrate on enjoying yourself?

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Loobyloo77, welcome to snowheads snowHead

I'm glad you posted this as we are also off for the first time (really) as a family this year. Hubby and I have skied a lot together pre- child and had a crack when he was one but it wasn't great for us due to child with flu, no sleep, no pre-arranged childcare etc etc! So anyway this year he's three and we're back at it so I'd be glad for any tips any of the seasoned family skiers can give us!

Re. your one year old. Have you tried Baby Banz? They are sunglass fronts without the arms on a nice adjustable neoprene band. They are in all the usual baby suppliers mail order catalogues like JoJo, Bloomin Marv etc or ebay. Also I think Boots do their own version of them too. Or the very very smallest gogles you can get which are by Cebe and called Baby Jerry. They do them in Snow and Rock or maybe Ebay. They are much smaller than any of the others. The nannies will put them on for him and he probably won't argue with them Laughing I am sure he will have a great time in the creche my friend is putting her one year old and three year old in it in three weeks time (if it's the Petit Prince??) and so I could report back if that's in time before you go??

Four year old glasses I guess with goggles as a back up if it's not great weather. I have got both for my three year old just in case. TKMaxx are clearing out all ski stuff at the moment and so you could probably pick up a half decent pair of kids goggles there quite reasonably. Re. drinks, suncream etc. For my son I plan to put a small tube in his pocket or in a bum bag if I can find one small enough with a small snack/biscuit/choc whatever in case he needs it whilst actually outside. I will ask them about timings of drinks etc when I get there and if need be will send him with a very small drink.

I'd say mittens as I think they are warmer and I can never get the fingers lined up with the glove fingers when putting gloves on my son it's a nightmare!

Sorry not sure about what's involved in the Learn to Ski programme but someone will know on here! It is a bit tiring as a beginner but you have given yourself a big advantage by going in the gym, you'll be fine snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can I add that its wise to buy some small packets of sweets for the 4yr old...... especially chocolate. They will need the sugar for energy.... we took our son skiing when he was 3 and he was in ski school every morning.......was on the button lift and skiing unaided by the end of the week. We would have a couple of packets of sweets in our pockets for those tearful moments and also, when he started whining and we were waiting for food at lunchtime.
He wore goggles....and a helmet. He called it Mr Helmetman and we made a real game of wearing the gear on the snow. We tried gloves but bought mittens in the end..... kept his fingers so much warmer and there was no fiddling about trying to get the gloves on and juggle skis, poles etc etc....
We took small cartons of orange juice with us in the suitcase and we would have it in our backpack....he rarely wanted a drink during the lesson. He didnt have his own backpack...

As for cheap gear..... try TK Maxx or Argosadditions on line..... we bought B's first ski jacket from the clothes section of Argos and it was fine. Did him for the first two years. Oher than that, it was just layers and layers of stuff depending on the weather every day!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all... great info. Sarah, Yes we are at the Petit Prince I have read nothing but good stuff about the creche so I am just being paranoid I guess about leaving him. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done the 'Learn 2 Ski' as I am utterly clueless.

Cheers
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Decathlon is good for bargain ski gear.
I'm not fortunate to have one of these locally either rolling eyes . Apparently no-one up here goes skiing.
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back with my kids (2, 4, 6), none of them would wear glasses while skiing (because they hurt their ears when their helmet was on) so we needed goggles for skiing (no problems with cheap Cebe goggles misting up) and glasses, for wearing when sledging and in restaurants etc.

As sarah, said mittens keep hands warmer so would be better for lthe littlest ones. Get some with elastic (or put some on) so you can thread it down their sleeves - stops them losing their gloves and is less for them to hold while carrying their skis.

Asda often have cheap ski gear too.

I also bought loads of good cheap second hand stuff on ebay (ski suit, gloves and snowboots).

We used Boots Once factor 40 on my kids all last week (sunny every day) and didn't need to be re-apply it during the day, giving me one less thing to worry about when were in lessons as there's no way they'd have remembered to do it themselves. They are all fair skinned and didn't catch the sun at all.

Have a great time! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, you'll just have to come and visit Sheffield then Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loobyloo77, Klanz Flammer,
Welcome to Snowheads

I got hooked via a learn to ski week 10 years ago - and it's still one of my best ever holidays.

A couple of (none technical) tips - if you want to get technical there's a whole world of technical on the Bend Zee Knees forum...

1. Don't give up - some people do drop out and turn to drink but you will reach a turning point when it starts to work - and that's the best feeling of all.

2. Try to practice out of ski school - every extra hour helps - difficult with the little ones but OH will understand!

3. Acknowledge that OH will probably want to give you lots of useful Puzzled tips and free instruction. You will need a strategy to deal with this...

4. Keep your own energy levels up, including emergency sugar hits of your choice.

5. Tell the instructor if you don't understand what's happening - you'll notice that some pupils get loads more attention than others for a variety of reasons Laughing . One is that some people ask more questions.

Have a fantastic time - you haven't posted where you are going? Lots of local experts here to advise on peripheral issues wink like bars and restaurants. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy