Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski writer attacks helmet cellphones

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Writing in OnTheSnow.com Mike Terrell, a journalist who writes widely on skiing, criticises this year's development of cellphone-linked helmets:

"As if cell phones weren’t already a problem on crowded highways where challenged drivers pay more attention to calls than vehicles, now Giro has developed a helmet that’s wired to speakers in your earflaps with a switch and volume control."...

He continues: "The positive side is that you can call the ski patrol after you run up the back of another skier, smack a tree, or try to take out a lift tower while playing with the gizmos and talking on the way down the hill."

The system he's criticising is Giro's 'TuneUps with SkullCandy Link' which enables simultaneous wiring of an audio system for music, and a mobile phone.

On the surface it does seem odd for a safety device (helmet) to be directly wired to a device now regarded as a road safety liability (cellphone), since snow-related collisions can be just as serious.

Any snowHeads have any views on this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll stick to natural sounds of swishy skis, wind, and helmetted, ear-muffed MPeg heads thudding into each other, if that's OK, David. Carrying a mobile in your pocket for emergency use is sensible. No way would I want to receive calls while on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't believe this will be viewed as a good idea. I don't know about anyone else, but skiing has always required 100% of my attention. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bang goes Giro's reputation for "safety first". What a stupid idea - not only will you not see the avalanche, or hear your mate's warning, or sense the piste basher before it runs you over... if you get buried it will interfere with your transceiver too.

Personally I have concerns about helmets reducing awareness on their own, let alone with playing music and holding a conversation!

It sucks. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think that these helmets with their ear pads, are safer than using in ear head-phones. I understand that these pads let in surrounding noise, which has to be better than the ear phones which plug your ears. You'll never stop people using personal stereos, so they might as well use them in a slightly safer manner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy