Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

working the ski season?

Poster: A snowHead
hi, im considering a job in the alps for the next ski season (09/10) and was wondering if anyone has any advise or info for me? e.g. when should i start applying? what are the good/bad jobs/companies? and any other general advise?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads. There are a few people who have done seasons in the Alps who will doubtless be able to point you in the right directions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads. The best place to start is www.natives.co.uk.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and if you're planning on not getting a job which comes with somewhere to live try; www.seasonaires.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi there from another new member. I did a season last year as a a ski guide. Absolutely brilliant time, the work was really hard at times, but the amount of skiing I got in more than made up for it. I went back to the resort I worked at last week and it hit me how much I miss it! I'm definitely going to do another season Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rolty wrote:
Hi there from another new member. I did a season last year as a a ski guide. Absolutely brilliant time, the work was really hard at times, but the amount of skiing I got in more than made up for it. I went back to the resort I worked at last week and it hit me how much I miss it! I'm definitely going to do another season Very Happy

hi, for that job did you have to know the resort well before going? did you need any qualifications or languages?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had been to the resort the previous year on holiday so kind of knew the basics, but we had a couple of familiarisation days to get to know the resort and plan our routes before the first clients came out. No special qualis needed for the guiding as it was just guiding on piste and all the clients were UK as it was an English hotel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rolty wrote:
No special qualis needed for the guiding

I'm sure that's true. Every English resort ski guide I've skied with has fallen down at some point and said, "Honestly, that's the first time that's happened this season!" Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi wrote:
rolty wrote:
No special qualis needed for the guiding

I'm sure that's true. Every English resort ski guide I've skied with has fallen down at some point and said, "Honestly, that's the first time that's happened this season!" Laughing

Shhhh Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
adam06, I'd try and stay away from the biggest Tour Ops such as Crystal and Esprit. I worked for Crystal two years ago and had a cousin who worked for Esprit, they tend to work under the pretense that there's plenty more where they came from in the staff department, so if one of their employees doesn't like it, they'll be another sucker to replace them.

I'd aim for smaller companies who tend to understand that happy staff = happy customers.

Bar jobs are the best as they mostly mean more time on the slopes and the fact you get to work in a bar everyday which will ultimately mean more free drinks, but don't assume this, that could be your major downfall, although the bar may not allow free drinks for staff at the beginning of the season, if you work hard and show your trustworthy you will be rewarded.

Try here for bar jobs:

http://www.mjweb.info/mountaintradingco/1/mountaintradingco/

They have several bars all over the alps and look after their staff.

As for when to apply, as early as possible is the rule. THe earlier you get everything sorted out, the more time you can plan on what type of skis to get etc. A hint on buying snow outerwear, unless you know what your doing, wait to buy it in resort where it may be more expensive, but there will be people to help you choose the brightest and most bad-ass ensemble you could imagine!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suspect jobs are going to be a lot more scarce next season - TOs have recruited fewer staff this year already, and some people have been laid off during the season. This is likely to mean that the best of the available positions will go to returners/experienced seasonnaires.

I would apply early (June-ish) and be prepared to take less than plum jobs if necessary.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard I agree, but I think the problem will be even worse than you think.

1. More people in their late 20s/30s who have had a "real job", been made redundant and fancy a ski season. Possibly (I can see this being debated for weeks...) more employable than 18 year old school leavers.

2. Fewer jobs. There are loads of empty chalets out there. Seasonnaires have been made redundant and sent home, chalets mothballed. Sad

The upside is, with empty chalets, the French owners are going to have to drop their rents, a lot, next season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These early predictions don't seem to bode well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, when in competition with experienced seasonnaires, redundant ex-bankers who 'fancy a ski season' are about on a par with school leavers. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
James the Last, when in competition with experienced seasonnaires, redundant ex-bankers who 'fancy a ski season' are about on a par with school leavers. Laughing

Well, we agree that supply will increase.

And do note the "possibly" in my earlier statement...
ski holidays
James the Last, the supply will increase until the ex bankers realise that they're being offered £150 a month for a 50 hour week spent cleaning toilets, at which point we will all be back to the usual school leavers. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, it won't just be bankers who are unemployed; you're the one who mentioned bankers. Chefs, chambermaids, secretaries, receptionists, B&B owners, hoteliers, etc. etc.

It may be different with the more down-market TOs, but in the chalet I stayed in last week the very nice just-left-University couple were working a gentle 40 hour week (including the time spent sitting at the dinner table eating with us) looking after a 5-bed chalet for a shade under £100 per week each + passes, lessons, ski hire, tips (not inconsiderable) and a very nice room with balcony & view next door to mine. That's not hard work in my book. Definintely not.
ski holidays
James the Last, it's far from typical as well. (Two staff for five beds?? Shocked )
latest report
James the Last wrote:
The upside is, with empty chalets, the French owners are going to have to drop their rents, a lot, next season.

Most chalet rental agreementa are for 5 or 10 years. Therefore unless the agreement is up for renewal the rents will be the same next year.
ski holidays
I contacted Silver Ski regarding chalet jobs next season and they said that they start interviewing in May/June and basically accept CVs as of now. That in mind You'd probably want to be getting them in ASAP.
snow report
I did a bar job in Meribel a few seasons ago. Decent slope time and defo a great way to meet everyone in resort- chalet girls, ski shop workers, other bar workers, etc, etc. Meant lots of free left-over cake, massive discounts on ski gear, free drinks, etc. Also got accommodation thrown in but, as with all the seasonnaire flats, it was SERIOUSLY cramped and basic. PM me if you want more details.
snow conditions
Just to clarify, Lizzard, 2 staff for a 5-bed chalet, i.e. one with 5 twin bedrooms. (Just like a 3-bed house has 3 bedrooms!)
snow conditions
James the Last, that's a 10 bed chalet. And it's still overstaffed. Laughing
snow report
we had 2 staff between 2*6 person chalets last time we went to a small chalet.
snow conditions
Work like mad till the end of November in the UK. Then don't work in the winter. It might be hard living as cheaply as possible but you'll be able to get first lift on every powder day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy