Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts with chalets....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
do we know of any? We had a really good xmas holiday in France last year but for next season I think the kids would be happier in Austria for the apres etc, not exactly kids as their ages range from 16 to 24, in three lots of families. Our friend has suggested St Anton but having looked at that resort's terrain I thinking the skiing maybe a tad too demanding for some of the group....so I was wondering does anyone know of other resorts that have chalet accomodation in Austria?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria isn't really big on chalets like France is, but Neilson have one called the Chalet Juliane in Saalbach, which would tick the boxes for mixed ability terrain with nightlife. Apart from that it's St Anton all the way. And there is one near (but not in) Lech as well, I think operated by Skiworld, although I might be wrong.

Those are the only ones I know of. There might be more but they are few and far between. Some of the TOs do operate 'club hotel' style places, but not chalets like you find in France.

D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton does indeed have plenty. We stayed in one in Nasserein many years ago, which area is probably a good bet for a chalet as it's a suburb of StA (easy walk to downtown) and is now well connected into the skiing.

Unless you have first (or unconfident second) weekers with you, don't be put off by stories about StA. None of the skiing is 100% easy, but there are plenty of blues. Some of them have a little surprise here and there, but nothing drastic. The worst is the home run down the ironically named Happy Valley, a genuine blue which is a chore at busy times, but easily avoided. It's the off piste which sets St Anton apart, and of course the tales told to each other by impressionable testosterone rich ski bums does nothing to reduce the hype.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
northantsred, Try Crystal if wanting a tour op, they have a few more other than St.Anton.But again not as many as France .
BTW I dont recomend Crystal chalets at the moment, just saying they have some wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond, is the home run avoidable by downloading in a lift?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and another question - does anyone know why there are so few catered chalets in Austria? It's not easy (at least through TOs) to find self catering accommodation, either. I know that it's possible to rent directly, but I do wonder why the TOs do not put more packages together, given the obvious attractions of Austrian skiing. We had two weeks self-catering in a charming little resort near Bad Kleinkircheim once, many years ago, through Inghams, but it hasn't been featured for years as far as I know. Had a fabulous hot spring swimming pool in the garden!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, much of the accommodation in Austria is Pensions. These are usually on a b&b basis, but some of the bigger ones offer 1/2 board option or an evening menu.

I think the reason for this is that the ethos in Austria seems to be different to France. The main Apres-ski is twilight. Maybe up the mountain, maybe in town. Either way, food tends to be done on a more ad-hoc basis in restaurants in the evening, rather than being at a fixed time. After all, you'd hate to miss out on the party just so that you can get back to dinner!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, there is lots of self-catering accommodation in Austria, we almost always self-cater, but you are right it is not normally bookable through TOs. I think this is mainly because most of it is in smaller houses owned and run by local families, so for TOs there would be a lot of different negotiations with lots of different owners to gain access to a handful of apartments. In the french resorts I have been to there have been big blocks of apartments either owned or at least managed by bigger companies or agents, making the 'work' for a TO much less.

Having said that, it seems to be mainly UK TOs that don't do this, our apartment is mostly booked by TUI Germany, and I am constantly getting emails from Czech and Polish travel companies looking for accommodation for their guests.

And also agree with Elizabeth B, the catered chalet model just doesn't 'fit' as well with Austria as it does in other countries, for lots of reasons. Up until a few years ago it was difficult for foreigners to buy property in Austria (and there are many people who wish it still was), and there are lots of restrictions for new build projects, so it's not as easy for TOs to buy or build suitable properties.

Also bear in mind that the catered chalet is a very british thing, and there are not many resorts in Austria where brits are the no 1 foreign visitor. There are of course lots of well known resorts where you do encounter large numbers of brits, but Germany and Holland (and now eastern europeans) are just as important markets for the Austrians. I know we just have one apartment, but I would guess that brits only make up about 10% of our guests, and that is in one of the most brit-heavy resorts.

And Elizabeth B is also right that for most guests in Austria, an evening meal at a set time comes a distant third place to dancing on tables in ski boots and drinking! Having said that there are lots of hald board hotels, but they are more flexible about eating times so it works better.

D
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would really hate going to Austria and find huge apartment blocks as those in France. Why can't people stick with France if they want the usual package and let each country keeps its own identity?

I think Austria has nothing but chalets and virtually no modern massive apartment blocks with timber hiding the concrete interior. The majority are just not self-catered. Their apartment blocks are built as one pitched roof detached house and looks like a oversized chalet from the outside but can have many individual residential units inside. It would be a shame to change such character because even a 5-star hotels blends in as just another monster size pitched roof detached house.

The French have massively increased the number of residences in the resorts beyond the narrow and twisty mountain access roads can cope, with the big sudden influx of visitors. The Austrian do not suffer such a problem yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, yes it is, although it often is the most convenient way to hit the apres from Galzig side, depending on where you end up at going home time, and if you want to refresh at the Mooserwirt or the KK, it's a must (unless you walk up a road to them). From Gampen, you can ski down avoiding HV. The problem with HV is only it's busyness; it's a benign slope in general, although towards the end there are a couple of short relatively steep pitches. At one point, thankfully o a flatish bit, it gets distinctly narrow, and of course there are bound to a few tools steaming down it; even if they're in control, it obviously puts the fear of God into beginners, which is unecessary.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy