Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got wind of some free accom from a mate in VT for the summer. I've been up there in October for work before and its dead as a doornail.

Is there anything going on in summer that would make it worthwhile for a weekend? Hiking, climbing, events?

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
27th July the Tour de France finishes in VT.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, can't do that as the mate in question is having the accom for the Tour. This is how I found out about it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a lot of French families go there in July and Aug. Always plenty of organised activities on offer, plus the sports centre, swimming pools, tennis courts, mountain biking (they open some of the lifts), and loverly mountain walks, with plenty fresh air and scenery etc...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Meltus, shame you're not there for the TdF.

As much as I love VT, I don't think its the best resort in the summer.. however! The lifts are open between 8th July and 30th August for both pedestrians and mountain biking, so while I don't think it's extensive, there should be plenty to keep you active if you like biking.

I know there are a few blue bike runs down from the Moutiere chairlift, and some reds from the Plein Sud side of the mountain. There'll also be other runs down the valley too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, It may be dead in October, but in July and August it will be pretty lively. As well as what the others mentioned there are also via ferrata nearby and of course some good mountaineering. A car would help you make the most of it. My only concern would be only going for a weekend. Not enougth time to really get to grips with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers all. We'd be driving from Cham so would have a car but it's only an idle thought as there's this free accom.

Girlfriend is scared of heights so via ferrata and mountaineering are out unfortunately. Plus I get my fill of that in Cham. Might be nice just to get away for the weekend though...

Is the frog open?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meltus wrote:
Girlfriend is scared of heights

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah I know. No bother on lifts and a nifty skier but chunders if you try and get her on a kiddies high ropes course....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Until about 20 yrs ago, you could have gone ski-ing, on either of the 2 glaciers... Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Meltus, probably not worth a trip from Chamonix then
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Meltus wrote:
Yeah I know. No bother on lifts and a nifty skier but chunders if you try and get her on a kiddies high ropes course....

I'm scared of heights too, absolutely HATE gondolas (literally tremble from fear in them... i dunno whats wrong with me). I'm not that bad on a chair lift, as long as the bar is down (cue debate). Went up that big 150/200 person gondola in VT... literally fighting tears back! After that, I took the bubble car up to the summit there, wind was howling and we were dancing around like a bauble on a christmas tree. Legs wouldn't move for a good few mins when we got to the top. Just had to kneel down and crawl out of the way of people Shocked

With that in mind, I don't dont dropping off a reasonable drop, or getting some height from a jump... I think it's because i'm "in control" of my self perhaps!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@marksymoo, flying must terrify you (unless of course you are the pilot) especially when the Boeing 737 max come back into service.

One of my friends suffers from claustrophobia and like you gets terrified in telecabines and cable cars. When we cannot avoid them we adopt diversary tactics to stop him thinking in these trapped situations. The most effective appear to be showing how we could force the telecabine door and the location of escape hatch onto the roof of the gondola. It wasn't until we got into the funicular at La Daille that I realised just how terrified he was when he had a genuine panic attack. Suddely the crowded cabine gave him a couple metres of space as arms flailed and shouts to get out issued.

It must be horrible to suffer from phobias
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@marksymoo, flying must terrify you (unless of course you are the pilot) especially when the Boeing 737 max come back into service.

One of my friends suffers from claustrophobia and like you gets terrified in telecabines and cable cars. When we cannot avoid them we adopt diversary tactics to stop him thinking in these trapped situations. The most effective appear to be showing how we could force the telecabine door and the location of escape hatch onto the roof of the gondola. It wasn't until we got into the funicular at La Daille that I realised just how terrified he was when he had a genuine panic attack. Suddely the crowded cabine gave him a couple metres of space as arms flailed and shouts to get out issued.

It must be horrible to suffer from phobias

Funny thing is, I grew up abroad, so was ok with flying... until we went to Germany once, where there were hurricane force winds! I remember looking out of the window wondering how come there was a landing strip out of my window when there must be one in front of the plane too... and how they logistically control the flights taking off/landing. I was totally baffled when I saw this runway getting closer and closer, wondering how how these runways/landing strips (perhaps some concrete slabs would have been a more accurate description - tiny airport), until we turned at the last moment to land on said runway. I almost fell out of my chair, as did most others.. and when I stood up you could see a perfect sweat outline of my back, backside, legs and arms. Knuckles were white and my hands ached from holding on so tight Laughing

After that moment, I didn't like flying. I don't really mind the take off, landing or flying it's the bloody turbulence.

Funny you mention the Max 8 -- I've booked a trip with my mates, with enter air (never heard of them before)... which seem to have a couple of those in their fleet. blah! My tactic for trips with my friends are to have 1 or 2 drinks before I get on the plane, i'm a lightweight so dutch courage helps massively there hehe. Family trips - another story. I try to put on a brave face for my kids, but next year I'm looking to see if we can go via the train Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy