Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya, Trying to book a trip for my daughter and I. Past few years we have stayed Reberty 1850 in Les Menuires. We love the ski in /out , access to all mountain, not too busy etc but we have covered all 3 valleys and have decided to try somewhere new. Tignes looks a great but I am unsure where to stay. Do we go Le Lac area or stay higher in Val Claret. Apartment prices are close enough.. Anyone have opinion on both areas, they seem some distance apart.. we will be self catering/driving in an apartment so need parking,shops etc..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whichever you choose there is good communal parking (underground) at a reasonable price if your individual parking doesn't have parking. We use Le Lac and ski in ski out but both are good and have easy access to the lifts and their own shops and restaurants/bars. We unload on arrival and whilst Mrs H and the kids sort the apartment (we tend to use the same one every year) I park the car in the communal and stroll back (5 minutes). https://en.tignes.net/holidays/booking/online-car-parks goes live in the autumn. Plenty of people on here who know the resorts in far more depth than me and can go into apartment by apartment comparison but depending on your apartment choice as to what suits you you can't go far wrong with either. IM me if you want details of the apartment we use regularly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Access to the slopes is pretty similar and very easy from both, they are at the same altitude give or take 5 metres and are 7 or 8 minutes by bus apart. Easy to ski from one to the other via blues or reds or the quickest way would be the infamous Trolles which is quite black. Really depends on which 'scene' you want. Le Lac tends to be more family and over 30s orientated. Val Claret more to the 'yoof' with its late night clubs. In Val Claret location is everything - there are lots of quiet blocks but the centre can be noisy all night, especially if the students are in town.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thank you, great info. Without having been either resort is looked like Val Claret had easier access to the slopes but if there is not much difference it looks like Le Lac might be better suited for us then. Apartment I'm considering is facing Toviere.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kenloen, see also this: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=147700&highlight=
I think your position is perfect, but this is mainly because that's the area I got to know best in previous trips. You are close to a undercover parking/supermarkets/LOOP pub/perfect boulangerie for the mornings, you have Le Vallon Blanc for quality rentals nearby.
Immediate access through Toviere gondola to Val d'Isere and Val Claret area (if you don't enjoy black pistes in the afternoon, return by the gondola. Still Trolles is a good short challenge. Short relatively to Saches)
You have the Palafour on the other side for early blue pistes and quick access to the right side (Aiguille Percee and all the goodies)
The bus between Val Claret and Tignes le Lac is free and often, we finished many of our days in Val Claret (amazing soups and burgers at La Taverne de Neiges, Cocorico apres ski).
As@chocksaway mentioned, Val Claret is better for party animals NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
excellent, we're booked in. Le Lac, not sure I could handle the party scene (daughter might disagree) .. Cant wait. just the Tunnel and overnight hotels to sort.. I think this is the earliest we've ever been confirmed..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kenloen, I'm impressed with thinking of booking the tunnel at least 4 months in advance. I think I'm planning well in advance if I do it a fortnight in before travel.

As others have said the navette is very good so it is no problem skiing back to Val Claret and hopping on the bus. As you must have realised the sports centre (with climbing wall) is in Le Lac as the possibility of diving under the ice on the lake Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shops in Val Claret and Le Lac. If you were going out of season or early December, I would opt for Val Claret as sometimes there is limited skiing from Le Lac before the snow cannons fire for the start of season. I would say there is more life in Le Lac than Val Claret in the evenings, however it is pretty low key compared to Val d'Isere in both areas.

If you are going in the main season, then either would be fine. Tignes les Brevieres would be an option for those on a tighter budget, or with a wish to avoid the altitude. Tignes les Boisses is mainly for those who like missing the last bus at 8pm and walking 5 km up and down to Tignes le lac. (great evening walk in the stars)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bigtipper wrote:
If you were going out of season or early December, I would opt for Val Claret as sometimes there is limited skiing from Le Lac before the snow cannons fire for the start of season.

What season were you in Tignes for 'limited skiing from le Lac'?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kenzie, I was about to ask similar.. I've been early and late to Tignes (typically have always stayed in Le Lac) and haven't had any limited skiing snow wise.. (apart from the odd white out, of course snowHead ). Would love to visit the Tignes/Val D ski area in summer to see the difference for myself!

We stayed in a hotel (first time we've done that) in Val Claret this March just gone, right opposite the Tichot lift. Awesome view to be honest.. and there seemed to be a bit more of a "middle class" feel about VC. I think we prefered Le Lac. We have always stayed in the Montana residence chalets - self catered (though recently have made the switch to catered chalets), and have always had good experiences with those chalets/apartments.

Regardless it's an amazing ski area - we have been back for the past 5 years. You'll have a great time Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:
If you were going out of season or early December, I would opt for Val Claret as sometimes there is limited skiing from Le Lac before the snow cannons fire for the start of season.

November time can sometimes have most of the snow from Val Claret upwards. Certainly any time in the summer, the only skiing will be on the glacier which is accessed from Val Claret. Once December comes, the snow cannons will have covered all areas down to Le Lac, and often down to Les Breviers.

As global warming continues, this is more likely to be the case.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Guys,

A group of us are staying in a Chalet in Le Lavachet called Chalet Reynaud l'Ours Brun which looks a short walk to Le Lac. Having read a few comments about VC being better for nightlife I'm now a little worried we have chose the wrong area as we like a good drink on a night! Can anyone reassure me we'll be fine.

Also whilst I am here can anyone tell me if this chalet will still be likely to be ski in/ski out in April? We are going on the 11th. And Which runs we will use to get back?

Its my first ski holiday for years and I'm organising this trip for 16 of us!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanB234, there are perfectly good bars in Lavachet.
Quote:

Also whilst I am here can anyone tell me if this chalet will still be likely to be ski in/ski out in April?

Probably

A lot happens over April. Early April usually has good snow, mid April (which includes the Easter holiday this year) it can be getting a little heavy, by the end of April, the afternoons can have large puddles and bare patches.

I do recall one Easter after Les Arcs had closed, so it must have been the very last week in April, driving over to Tignes and parking at Le Lac. We skied back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanB234, depends how you define nightlife....... there are great bars in Lavachet, 3 of the best restaurants in Tignes but no night club. Val Claret is only 10 mins by bus and it runs all night.

Not sure where that chalet is in Lavachet, but I have done the last 7 seasons in Tignes and left well after that date and lavachet has always been ski in ski out, as has Brevieres at 1550m!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
@DanB234, depends how you define nightlife....... there are great bars in Lavachet, 3 of the best restaurants in Tignes but no night club. Val Claret is only 10 mins by bus and it runs all night.

Not sure where that chalet is in Lavachet, but I have done the last 7 seasons in Tignes and left well after that date and lavachet has always been ski in ski out, as has Brevieres at 1550m!

Looks like its just off the piste leading to Paquis / Chaudannes, you know if you ski down under the tunnel there is a small track up to the right, goes down that small road at the side of the burn?

We were in a chalet there a couple of times 4-5 years ago. @DanB234, its a short walk to the nearest piste, and also to the bus stop taking you to Lac and on to Val Claret, so you will be fine.

It can feel like a wee hoof up the road to the centre of Lavachet (to the pubs Chocs mentions).

Its deffo ski in/out, in fact if you get enough momentum getting through the tunnel, you can just about flip off the piste, up the wee slope and down the track toward your chalet !!

Excellent drunken opportunities for snow angels on that track if its heavy too Very Happy
snow conditions
@GreenDay, @chocksaway, @johnE, Thanks for your advice all! Makes me feel a whole lot better!

I've read on here a lot of people end their day by skiing down to Loop, would this be a short walk back to the chalet after this? Or is there a way to ski it?

Also what will our best route back from Folie be on the day or two we go there?

Maybe I'm asking too many questions now!
snow conditions
From the Loop to the tunnel mentioned is a 2 min walk and a 30 sec ski, or a 1 min walk and a 3 min bus ride.

From the Folie there are 2 ways back, down the infamous Trolles, maybe not one to do with beer goggles or down Henri into Val Claret, another swift one at Cocorico and then bus back to lavachet to discover you've missed the starter again Very Happy
ski holidays
@DanB234,
This may help you:-
https://en.tignes.net/holidays/getting-around/interactive-map
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
Bigtipper wrote:

The last pre-season bash was Tignes le Lac, 1st - 8th Dec 2018. The lifts around us opened progressively as the week went on. When we arrived the link to Val d'Isere (Toviere + Tommeusse) had just opened and you could ski back to VC via Henri or le lac via Trolles (or more sensibly take the Toviere gondola back down). The glacier and double M run back to VC were also open. After two or three days the lifts to the right of Val Claret opened (Tichot, Grattalu, Merles), as did the drag lift behind the loop in le lac, meaning we could ski out of our accommodation (avoiding a short walk). The day we left the Palafour lift opened, giving direct access to the right side of the map from le lac.

So yes, the skiing was more limited from le lac. But it's one blue run or a 10 minute bus to VC so does it really matter? I'd only worry about it if you need to return to base at lunch time (e.g. pick up kids from ski school).
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
Shops in Val Claret and Le Lac. If you were going out of season or early December, I would opt for Val Claret as sometimes there is limited skiing from Le Lac before the snow cannons fire for the start of season. I would say there is more life in Le Lac than Val Claret in the evenings, however it is pretty low key compared to Val d'Isere in both areas.

If you are going in the main season, then either would be fine. Tignes les Brevieres would be an option for those on a tighter budget, or with a wish to avoid the altitude. Tignes les Boisses is mainly for those who like missing the last bus at 8pm and walking 5 km up and down to Tignes le lac. (great evening walk in the stars)

I’m wondering if it’s a long time since you have been to Tignes. I’ve been for the opening weekend for the last four years and all runs into VC and Le Lac have been open. You can normally get to 1800 (Boise’s) too. Brev involves a download.

The buses run to Boises until 12.45 but there is a short break in service around 9pm.

I have stayed in Le Lac and of the two main villages would choose that again over VC. Great to go to VC for some night life, but glad to get the bus back to a quieter Le Lac afterwards.
ski holidays
It is quite different before the first week of the season, before the snow cannons are fired. However, parking is generally free, and sometimes the snow falls early.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy