Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler - Cell/mobile coverage or radios

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes, GSM coverage in most places, in the village and up the mountains.

Glacier Creek Logde on Blackcomb mountain is a well known GSM blackspot, but go outside by the ski racks and you'll get reception.

Note that the GSM frequencies here are 850/1900, most tri-band phones only cover 900/1800/1900, so you'll only use the 1900 band if you have a tri band phone. Not a great problem in the village itself, but may be slightly limited up the mountains (in the depth of the valley etc.) to only have 1900.

The best option is to have a quad band phone GSM 850/900/1800/1900.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For my money it's radios all the way. Every time you make or recieve a call it's at intetrnational rates!

Technically, if your radios were bought in europe, they're probably illegal to use in North America as they're on the wrong frequency. (Disclaimer over) However we have both european and North American radios and have used them with impunity on both sides of the atlantic for many years now. The benefit of using the "wrong" kit is that the channels are much less congested that the "right" ones... as long as you don't get arrested Happy

If you haven't already visited it, have a look at http://forums.epicski.com wher our north American cousins do a similar thing to snowheads - great resource for tips and ski buddies.

Enjoy

CW
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cardweg, buy a local SIM card then it's as cheap as chips. Besides, how many minutes at international rates do you get for the price of radios that cover the same distance?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Radios are so annoying. I can't stand having to share a chair, or worse a gondola with someone trying to communicate via those things. The reception is poor , so they spend more time repeating themselves then actually getting anywhere in the conversation.
Cell phones are much better, clearer and less disruptive to others.
I realise that radios are free (once paid for) but like hyweljenkins mentioned, you can buy a SIM card here, and buy enough credit to last your holiday for 'probably' around the same price as the batteries you use, and it saves having to pack it all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When you get here, do a quick check in the local papers, the Pique and the Whistler Question. you might get lucky and have someone leaving town looking to sell their phone / SIM card, might save some money that way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wbsr, REAL mountain (patrol) radios with additional full sets own channels and earpieces keep you happy?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from Whistler and we used our UK mobiles to text on mountain if we needed to keep in touch ie meet you at xxxxx for a beer etc. Worked every time. I think it was 38p per text using the UK sim card. So if you keep it brief you are not talking a big outlay
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy