Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski guiding in Stowe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am heading to Stowe for a couple of days. I am a reasonably competent skier (will get down European Red runs, and occasional black runs). Going with a non-skier. Don't really want to head off onto the mountain on my own. Does anyone know if there is a ski guiding service in Stowe? Cant seem to find mention of one anywhere on the web.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski Stowe quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a ski guiding service or programs to show folks around at Stowe. Doesn't mean they don' exist, but I'm not aware of such a service. Assuming you're staying on the marked trails the mountain is fairly straightforward. There is also an interactive trail map on the Stowe website. Here are a few comments: Looking at the main mountain off either the Fourunner Quad or the Mountain Triple, trail tend to be easier on looking left (skiers right going off the lift) and then increase in difficulty as you move across the mountain. The Toll House area has very easy novice trails but the lift is VERY slow. I'd suggest starting on trails like Sunrise, Ridgeview, Lord, North Slope, Standard. I suspect Lord and North Slope would have head walls that would be solid reds in Europe. If that terrain is too tame try Centerline, a baby black that is fairly short and Hayride. Hayride is a fairly steep and longer black. Nose Dive on Skiers far left off the Fourrunner Quad (you need to either go up the hill or we go on a little tiny cat track that goes along side the building to get to Nose Dive. The top is fairly narrow and somewhat steep, it then opens up into a lovely cruiser. The Blues off the gondola tend to be a little tamer though Gondolier is a solid blue. Chin Clip is a favorite black bump run of many, so if you like bumps. Spruce can be nice in the afternoon sun and it's usually less crowded. Sterling is a very scenice nice intermediate trail, Main Street is steeper and has some terrain features. Most of the terrain off the Sunny Spruce Quad is tamer. The Over Easy lift gets you back and forth easily from the Spruce Base area to the Gondola. You have to do a bit of skating to get from the Gondola to the Four Runner quad unless you take (I think it's called Cliff Trail) from the Top of Perry Merrill down to the cruisy part of Nose Dive. Another tip is that we never go to the Mansfield base lodge. To get up to the lifts you have to walk up what is often called "heart attack hill." Also, the mountain triple gets you to much of the terrain on skiers right side of Mount Mansfield, if there are lift lines on the Quad we often ride the triple. I can pm you the names of a couple of Stowe instructors who could give you a comprehensive tour and some lessons as well. If you're looking to ski back country at Stowe I'd definately suggest hiring an instructor or finding someone who knows where to go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stowe isn't all that big. And all the runs come down to the same valley. Wink You won't get lost. (there're multiple base but they're only a hundred yards away from each other and there's even a shuttle bus running circles amoungst them!)

As far as finding the right piste for you, you can start with a couple of greens and then a couple of blues. You'll get an idea of how their rating fits your skill level. And then go from there. If you take a look at the map, the same color runs are "clustered" together anyway. So it's not hard to cover them quickly. IMHO, Stowe has some of the best blue (intermediate) cruisers in the northeast.

The biggest difference is in the blacks. American blacks do include non-pisted runs, which can develope monster size bumps! Ask at the ticket counter for a grooming report so you know which runs are groom on that day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjm100, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your help guys.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy