Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack / Day Pack Size / Volume

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I wondered whether anyone had a view on how big a pack they use during a day on the slope?

I have just purchased a 20 litre Dakine Heli Pro and despite having checked it out in a shop, when I subsequently bought it via t'internet and it was delivered I was quite suprised how big it feels. This might be due to how robust it is, and that it is designed to carry a board/skis and hence has pretty hefty straps/belt and back padding.

Previously I had a neat Ortovox Cross-rider back which i 'thought' was about 15L... by the time I'd filled it with spare fleece, video camera, Haribo star mix (essential!), and all other assorted essentials it felt a bit stuffed, so this time round I went bigger...on the basis I can always use the compression straps to reduce the 'volume' on my back.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richie_S, I like the Heli Pro but found it too small for all my stuff wink. Mine's a 28 litre & allows me to spread the contents & the compression straps then flatten the pack. I'm probably not using more that 20 litres of volume but it does give a low profile for lift use etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richie_S, My Ortovox Cross Rider is 20 lites+. Or so it says on the outside Toofy Grin My SO has a Heli Pro and it seems smaller and heavier Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richie_S,

I think that is a great pack, well thought out and just about the right size-wise.
I take some junk in my 20 ltr Ortovox pack but it is good for my days trips in which I'll take a small rope and harness, vids etc if need be. I, too, do not want a full pack unless necc' and it packs done well very easily.
Skis load pretty easily and quickly as well ...a less full pack helps here as well... but I'd say the heli pro 20 ltr plus version, which a friend has is as good as anything in its class....

If you don't want it, I'll swap my crossrider for it..as long as it is black..... ha ha

The only thing I'd improve on these bags is ventilation but then those arrangemenst might push the pack even further off the back and make chairs, whilst worn, an issue.... and therefore making them a nuisance, IMV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wanted a pack I could use for both walking and skiing.

For me weight rather than size was the main issue, but it had to be able to carry skis, have back ventilation, hip pockets, be hydration bag compatable and fit like a proper rucksack (i.e. with the weight on the hips not the shoulders).

In the end I went for a 35L Osprey Atmos which looks really big even when empty, but weighs very little.

It's fine on lifts - but sometimes getting the safety bars down on older lifts gives the helmet a wack unless I'm careful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
......The only thing I'd improve on these bags is ventilation but then those arrangemenst might push the pack even further off the back and make chairs, whilst worn, an issue.... and therefore making them a nuisance, IMV

Mosha Marc has an Osprey pack & it has a very good ventilation system but it does sit off your back slightly. He has no problems on lifts though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, ya beat me to it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, and you forgot to mention that your pack has to carry the largest avi shovel ever to grace the Alps wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
. Laughing

I forgot............."and it must fit a proper shovel"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree, I like the Osprey and looked at it for the ventilation aspect but I couldn't find a 26 ltr in the shop at the time. I was concerned about squeezing on chairs when the chairs are full with one that sits that high off the back ...

Shovels are an issue, mine is large and weights 900 plus Shocked but it sure shifts some snow..unlike some of the really useless spacesavers out there.... I'd rather people carried an Ortovox pro with the plastic blade as at least it is a reasonable size..unlike the metal spoons some carry... Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

1100g wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a 15l Berghaus daypack, just about manage to fit everything in including metal shovel water bottle camera etc. But wouldn't want anything smaller.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, it IS black, but not ready to swap just yet... Very Happy

snowbunny, I'm pretty sure the Ortovox i have is smaller than 20L but the Heli Pro is definately heavier due to the padding on the back...

Mosha Marc, 35L and i was raising a concern about 20L...!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy