Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor courses in Canada?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! I'm new to snowheads, but you seem a very friendly lot, and I would appreciate some advice! I'm getting married this year and, for honeymoon, we are thinking of going to Canada and doing instructor courses (skiing for me, boarding for him). Has anyone got any suggestions of well established courses? I've been told that the Canadian qualification itself isn't great and that the BASI one is the one to go for? What do you think? Also, neither of us have been to Canada before so would also appreciate advice about resorts too. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends entirely upon what you plan to do with it as to whether CSIA/CASI or BASI is best. Also note that BASI are considerably more expensive and have a bit of a reputation for kind of forgetting about you once you've paid and passed... I'm not sure if you'd even find somewhere to do a BASI course in Canada. Although I'm sure someone more informed will come along soon on that front.

As far as resorts go, they're all supposedly great in their own way. Somewhere like Fernie for awesome powder, Whistler is my favourite for its immense variety (actually, I'll admit it's the only one I've been to in the winter), and places like Banff/Lake Louise and Tremblant have thier own pros and cons that people who've been there can go over. Personally, I'd go for Whistler as you can also spend a few days in Vancouver (my favourite city), it's also where I did my CSIA L1.

When are you planning on going?

Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. We were planning on going sometime next season, no more specific than that at the moment. Still really in the early stages of research as you can tell. It doesn't have to be Canada, but as neither of us have been there before, it seemed like a great excuse!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MaxC, You can do a BASI Gap Year course in Whistler, but not just the individual Instructor courses. CSIA is a great system and much cheaper to do than BASI. If you want a Gap course Nonstopski in Fernie B.C. are really good. For individual Instructor courses just go on the CSIA website.
Welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I'd work it out yourself rather than paying the premium to do something like nonstopski - it's always funny to see nonstoppers go slightly green when they find out they've paid the same as I have and they're here for six weeks rather than the season...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My daughter has done CSIA level 1 and 2 in Whistler. Booked direct with CSIA www.snowpro.com Both done in a week with mixture of classroom and on slope. I have read through the notes and they are great. If you are looking to eventually teach in Europe then CSIA may be a limited option as I do not believe it (level 1 that is) is widely recognised in Europe. BASI have a copmparison chart on their web site. There are loads of people on sH who have a lot of info about this. If you are considering whistler then go to http://www.snowprobc.com/level-one-info/ Good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CSIA level 1 is quite basic and getting it will only allow you to teach beginner skiers, but I think it's intention is to be a short course to get people interested and is therefore a taster before doing CSIA level 2. Whereas the BASI is like a combination of CSIA levels 1, 2 and maybe 3? Something like that.

They also do ski coaching courses in Canada (CSCF I think) which is an alternative to ski instructing.

They have YES Improvement camps for CSIA which you can take to get your skiing up to par before taking a CSIA course. They're helpful if you're not very familiar with lesson formats or up to date skiing techniques. I personally didn't do the YES course because I was familiar with lesson formats from taking lots of normal lessons and hence getting used to particular exercises to fix particular bad skiing habits. The first few days of the CSIA course is spent getting your skiing right anyway (as well as teaching you to teach).

Mind you, if you're a competent and in-control skier, you should have no problems passing the courses. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC wrote:
Personally I'd work it out yourself rather than paying the premium to do something like nonstopski - it's always funny to see nonstoppers go slightly green when they find out they've paid the same as I have and they're here for six weeks rather than the season...

Couldn't agree more but it seems to be a very successful business model.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are another two companies that I heard of this season when I was in Whistler that do these instructor courses but I can't give you any other information except point you to their websites

http://www.peakleaders.com/index.htm
http://www.alltracksacademy.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy