Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stop whinging & just take less!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm slowly loosing the will to live when reading the numerous threads re luggage allowance & boots taken as carry-on etc.

I'm just back from a week in Verbier flying with Easyjet & so I had their 20kg hold allowance + their 12kg ski bag allowance = 32kg total allowance.

Now you can't get a bigger gearHead than me & I had absolutely NO problem taking everything I need.

My huge S&R holdall weighed 20kg on the button which included my boots, a 1.2kg tool kit, helmet, two pairs of gogs, two pairs gloves, armoured shorts, ski jacket, ski pants etc, transceiver, ski lock, boot drier & phone charger etc. Admittedly I'd already cut out the retractable metal handle system & saved a kilo in weight as the holdall has a webbing handle with wheels at t'other end so the metal handle was surplus to requirements & just added weight.

My ski bag with 179cm fat skis, poles, shovel, probe & back protector (all wrapped in copious quantities of bubble wrap) weighed bang on 10kg.

My backpack (which fits in Easyjet's carry-on gauge) was taken as hand luggage & only contained an empty built-in bladderpack, a first aid kit, my travel docs/booking confirmations etc plus my specs, wallet & phone.

So I had still had 2kg spare hold capacity plus as much extra weight as I could get in my backpack!

BTW, I'm not one of those smelly touring types that wear one set of merino's all week so my ski clothing included 6 base layer tops, 7 pairs of ski socks & loads of underwear. And I still brought back two pairs of clean socks & two pairs of clean skids.

SO STOP WHINGING & JUST TAKE LESS Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best....post....ever....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that we had a guy in our chalet who had travelled alone that had a no.2 shaved haircut & he'd brought a friggin' hairdryer with him!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Well said. I take 3/4 pairs of socks and wash a pair at the end of each day. It saves on socks and carraige.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, 3/4 pairs. So that's like one and a half individual socks ? Hardcore, dude. Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, I've never had any problems getting less than 32kg. I've got one large "coffin" boardbag which swallows everything I need for 7 days away. outdoor clothes, drinking clothes and all hardware.
Laughing

My only problem now is does that one 32kg bag get charged £15 as sports equipment or do I need to pay £4 AND £15. Emailing easyjet is a waste of time they never give a straight answer! I should really get my act together and phone them.

joe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, but it's not always about maxxing out on luggage allowance, it's about peeps making sure their boots arrive when they do....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon,

That's with Easyjet though and their 20kg allowance...
About about Ryanair and their 15 kg.... Toofy Grin

I'll get me coat...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm impressed! Easyjet have 12kg ski allowance ?? Bloody Neilson only have 20kg baggage and charged £15 for £6kg so only had 26kgs total to take my board, bindings, boots, clothes etc... AND I still came in under weight... AND I'm a girl with a hairdryer Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

SO STOP WHINGING & JUST DRIVE AND TAKE WHAT YOU WANT

There, fixed for you

ducks and runs for cover
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
spyderjon, but it's not always about maxxing out on luggage allowance, it's about peeps making sure their boots arrive when they do....

Agreed.

spyderjon Whilst I agree with you in the main, I'm yet to get my own skis, so don't have the benefit of the extra space that they can give you.

I assume it was my post that made you feel like this? It was mainly to make a point that there really should be the same answers to the same questions, not a yes from XXX and a no from YYY.

Sorry if it irritated you, but you could always not read the post. the clue was in the title. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMT, The thing I like about snowHead is that you get genuine views and experiences, which can help you make an informed decision. This can be very very useful - lets face it as with any aspect of life, if you don't know or understand - Ask.

However there will also be a fair degree of micky taking at times - just ignore it
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris wrote:
IMT,

However there will also be a fair degree of micky taking at times - just ignore it

I can live with that - it's all good.

spyderjon I can't believe that guy brought his hairdryer - in fact, I can believe he HAS one. Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMT, my male (straight) cousin took his straighteners with him to Tignes last week
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, are you sure he didn't start off gay?
snow report
Quote:

spyderjon Whilst I agree with you in the main, I'm yet to get my own skis, so don't have the benefit of the extra space that they can give you.

But if you don't have your own skis, I'm assuming you also don't have your own probe and shovel? So losing the carrying capacity of the ski bags shouldn't put you at any disadvantage compared to spyderjon?

I don't have the same carrying limitation flying in N. America. Still, I just finished a trip of one week (NA "week" is usually 9 instead of 6 days of skiing) to Aspen and I managed with a ski bag plus "only" two carry-on size bag (one checked and one carried). I could have checked a bigger suitcase, but I would then run out of things to fill it! Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-01-08 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
spyderjon, well said, I came in at 2kg under the 15kg of Ryanair and my board was the only thing in the boardbag. Handluggage contained my tranciever and stuff for the flight/transfer so wasn't excessive either.
snow report
I take 3 Pairs of skis for me, 2 for Kitty, 1 for Boywonder. 3 pairs Boots, enough kit to open up a shop, electrical kit and fill the rest of the boot with Wine & Beer on the way back. I leave in the morning and I'm there for Dinner.
Drive, it's the best way.
ski holidays
I take an iron but no hair dryer .............................. but I do wax my own board Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DebbiDoesSnow, Shocked

abc, Your assumption is correct. Fair point.

Swirly, To be honest, it's not about the weight of the stuff, I just could do without the hastle of losing them. Even if the boots go in the hold, I'll be miles under the limit - always travel pretty light.

Spyderman, Did that at Easter - fantastic. Just not an option this time, with 7 of us going.
latest report
Spyderman,
Quote:

Drive, it's the best way

That's why I don't understand these threads Very Happy Laughing
snow report
I agree that there's no need to be overweight on flights, even with skis and boots. I've flown most continents with kids, no problems. I did a 6 week working trip round the Pacific with hand baggage only (admittedly before the stupid rules that now exist). I have always tried to make sure I can readily hump my own stuff around, and I struggle to carry 20kgs. When you see people staggering round airports with more than they can carry, you do wonder.....
latest report
pam w, This thread is a developing Monty Python-esque feel.... "You were lucky... we had to take 12 skis, 14 pairs of underpants, and the collected works of Shakespere in our trouser pockets... and they had 'oles in..."
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I agree that there's no need to be overweight on flights, even with skis and boots. I've flown most continents with kids, no problems. I did a 6 week working trip round the Pacific with hand baggage only (admittedly before the stupid rules that now exist). I have always tried to make sure I can readily hump my own stuff around, and I struggle to carry 20kgs. When you see people staggering round airports with more than they can carry, you do wonder.....

Last minute "get fit" routine to aclimatize to the altitude? Very Happy
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
IMT, my male (straight) cousin took his straighteners with him to Tignes last week

Are you absolutely sure he is not going to this ? wink
latest report
jtr, Laughing Looks like I booked the wrong week
ski holidays
I know weight will not be a problem, but am I going to be laughed off the platform if I turn up with a large wheeled suitcase? It's the only large bag with wheels that I own and I need to get across London and Paris.
snow conditions
Megamum, you can get some really cheap sturdy wheeled holdalls from TK Maxx & Argos if your that worried. Suitcases arent the best thing to take on a mountain trip if you can help it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They're not the best thing to take up a mountain, no. But a wheeled suitcase beats a holdall type thing hands down given that 80% of the time that you spend with it is in the airport.
snow report
Flying with Monarch via Inghams in a couple of weeks.

Got my tickets today and just looked at the blurb that came with them. They give you a 6kg allowance for my pre-booked skis (cost £15). Just weighed them with poles but without my sport tube, and they weigh, , 6.2kg. With the sport tube just shy of 10kg. I think a phone call tomorrow is on the cards.

Has anyone else experienced such a small ski allowance? Puzzled
snow report
JP, yes with neilson last week ! i have a coffin bag so ended up combining my 20kg with the 6kg to get all my gear & clothes in as my boarg bag & equip weighed more than the 6 kg allowance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 29-01-08 19:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
JP, That's useless isn't it unless you have AT bindings on very light skis. I would claim ignorance and rely on them not weighing them. I have never (knowingly) had skis weighed, and usually slip an extra pair in Toofy Grin

Tell them you lost 5kg weight since you booked the ticket so you are claiming that as an offset...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 29-01-08 19:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Holdalls every time. Until we drove to our own place, my Rossignol ones held the boots in the end pockets, and the clothing in the main section. TWO pairs of skis in one ski bag, wrapped in salopettes, with socks etc in the ends. We have never paid excess baggage charges, even when hubby decides he must bring home Genepi etc. If there are four of us on the trip, we manage with three bags.
snow report
stoatsbrother, They weighed our board bags at both airports
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

Tell them you lost 5kg weight since you booked the ticket so you are claiming that as an offset...

Unfortunately the opposite is the case. Sad
snow conditions
spyderjon, Couldn't agree more. don't have my own skis either and get all I need for a week in one holdall which comes in at 20kg or even just under and that includes spare Bills and socks and base layer.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, I thought you'd have your own Private Jet by now. Which is it to be Lear or Gulfstream? wink
snow report
Quote:

SO STOP WHINGING & JUST TAKE LESS

Hilarious. I see guests turn up every week with more luggage than my staff bring for a season. What have they got in there? Shocked
snow report
JP wrote:
Flying with Monarch via Inghams in a couple of weeks.

Got my tickets today and just looked at the blurb that came with them. They give you a 6kg allowance for my pre-booked skis (cost £15). Just weighed them with poles but without my sport tube, and they weigh, , 6.2kg. With the sport tube just shy of 10kg. I think a phone call tomorrow is on the cards.

Has anyone else experienced such a small ski allowance? Puzzled

JP, I wouldn't bother phoning. The package companies have always had very low ski bag weight limits in their small print which everyone just ignores. In the last few years I've travelled with viturually all of the package operators & they've never weighed the bag. And I've always taken the exact same kit as detailed in my opening post.

A decent pair of skis & bindings weighs 6kg+ by themselves, let alone a pair of poles & the bag they're in.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Cheers. I'll take comfort in what you say and chance it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy