Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near San Francisco

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know the nearest resorts to SF? I might only be able to manage a day next April, so flying off somewhere not an option. Someone did mention somewhere to me, but I can't remember where. I also don't want to drive (55mph on a motorway? I wouldn't be able to afford a ski pass for speeding fines), so somewhere accessible by bus/train would be cool.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mammoth is not too far, and L.ke Tahoe, Heavenly and that lot aren't either.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good luck with access by bus/train this is the US you are talking about - best bet would be a day trip to Tahoe with someone like Snowbomb.

Otherwise if you can bear to get a car - speed limit on I80 is generally 65 (& most people do a cruisey 70) and Sugarbowl is right on the interstate almost. Maybe 3-3.5 hours drive depending on traffic, more if snow. Planning for a year away though??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup, v. forward thinking - OH told me this pm that he needed to be in Berkeley for a mini-conference next April...and if I go with him, I'm thinking I might ski while he's yakking...will have a look at Snowbomb, thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bear Valley maybe?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I meant to add that you can pretty much forget public transport, and that (several years ago anyway) 70mph seemed to be the standard cruising speed - a bit slow for us Euros but you can still get the miles shifted. I assume that you mean a day in resort, rather than a day including travel; if the latter, forget my suggestions (which you probably have already). If you can get a whole day or preferably two or three, Mammoth is well worth a look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, a day in resort. OH's mini-conf will last 2-2.5 days, and since I know everyone there, I should spend at least a dinner with them! So a day with e.g. Snowbomb seems to be my best option, provided I can hire nearly everything - I certainly don't want to take all my gear for 1 day's skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vetski, Heavenly is less than 3 hours drive away (unless you hit a snowstorm like we did and have to fit chains, then it's nearer 4 Sad Worth it though! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd forget Mammoth, then. By the time you get there, it'll be time to go home. Nice drive, mind.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, see this map of the Lake Tahoe area.

Hwy 80 is the freeway from SF, so the resorts before Truckee are the absolute closest. I think most of them are quite small, with Sugar Bowl the biggest and with most vertical. That shouldn't matter too much for a day. As a matter of fact, I'll be spending some time there (probably including visiting other resorts) next March. If you want a big (by US standards) resort, Squaw Valley isn't too much further. I've skied there in April - quite warm, but snow held up pretty well.

The speed limit in California is 65 mph, but you'd be unlucky to be stopped at 70 mph.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vetski, Badger Pass, Donner Ridge, Bear Valley and Kirkwood are the nearest, but a bit off the main drag (I80), after that you're at Tahoe. Fly to Reno and take your pick of the Lake resorts.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
At Squaw you can hire everything except gloves and goggles, and if it's normal spring skiing you'll need sunglasses anyway. The drive from Berkeley is under 31/2 hours, and is easy to do at 4 or 5 am so you would get a full day here. Equipment wise I might be able to help out, since I don't ski on all my skis at once! And you may be able to borrow lots of other stuff if you're any where near my size! It's unlikely that I'll be able to get a comp ticket for you since I only get one a season, but you never know!
The skiing at Squaw right now is still good, and we did have an inch or so of new snow last night - it will warn up again tomorrow and we will be skiing in light jumpers again.

Don't forget the sunblock. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pollittcl, thanks for that - v. kind offer. I'll pm my measurements nearer the time, they may well expand...I know it's a long way in advance, which is completely against my usual holiday-planning pattern, but we want to be ready to book flights as soon as they come up, so I need to have figured out ski-feasibility. It's all looking pretty good at the moment!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy