Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in january

Poster: A snowHead
we are about to book our trip for next january (The 18th) and because of my husbands job we can't go any other time than jan as he can't take holidays between feb and april. I've never been skiing this early before and am worried about the snow conditions. I know this year is fine but what it it generally like.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where about are you thinking of? IIRC on a country by country level, Austria seems to have had the best early snow over the past few years....but obviously that doesn't translate to every resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
charlichops, may be best to aim high in Jan.... where did you have in mind?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, puy st vincent
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charlichops, putting myself in your position I wouldn't book ahead at all. 18 January is low season and there is lots of availability everywhere in a typical season. You will probably obtain the best prices on a late booking, so wait and watch for the best snow. Track the snow reports in the early weeks of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, the problem is we have young kids so want to book up early as we need childcare and want to go with snowbizz for their kids ski school etc. we could probably manage the week after of the 25th january but that is the latest we can go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied at that time of year in the Trois Vallees, Les Arcs, Espace Killy for the last 10 years at least and have always had plenty of snow for on-piste skiing. David is right to suggest that it's low season so you should be able to pick up a holiday at short notice, but if you prefer to book ahead I don't think you need to be unduly worried. You're well into the main part of the ski season by the time you get to the second half of January and snow conditions shouldn't be a worry in typical years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, thanks, i think if the kids were a bit older and had skied before i would have no hesistation in boking a ast minute trip, but for their first time and for their first lessons i want to get it right, and have a bit of time for hubby and i to ski and relax too
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
charlichops, I've skied in early Jan every year for the past...er.., 20+ years and I've always had snow, although last year was touch and go! PstV is high... but southerly and westerly.... but you should be fine. In some ways snow cover is the slight risk you take for cheap prices and empty slopes snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
charlichops wrote:
rob@rar, thanks, i think if the kids were a bit older and had skied before i would have no hesistation in boking a ast minute trip, but for their first time and for their first lessons i want to get it right, and have a bit of time for hubby and i to ski and relax too

I think that's a sensible plan. Lastminute deals are great if you can be flexible about your requirements, but if you have specifics (eg childcare) I think it's better to forgo the chance of a bargain to get exactly what you want.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we always ski in january. have done for 10 years and the only year we had poor snow was last year when we went in feb !!! i know last year was an exception but i would have no hesitation going in jan. we often ski in march as well and march can be warm and slushy in the afternoons. granted in jan ou can get ice in the mornings but by the time we get on the slopes at 10am its not usually a problem. as david says - dont book ahead - you will miss out on the last minute deals. there will be no availability issues - the operators will bite you hand off at that time of year as they will be struggling to fill all their hols. we just got back from st anton and the snow was excellent. why on earth would you choose PSV ?? its tiny and not snow sure. go higher and bigger - somewhere like les arcs or val thorens. varied skiing ans pretty certain to get snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backhojo, see above as why we are choosing PSV and booking early. we don't really need a huge resort at the moment as i'm quite a nervous skier so won't be spending all day trying to get as far around the 3 valleys as possible
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
charlichops, i understand you are tied to a particular date but trust me, there will be hundreds of holidays available for that date , even last minute, as long as you can be flexible on resort. you can always go to a snow sure resort that is big but simply dont ski all of it !!! for example - val thorens has a superb beginner area right outside the main accomodations and is 2300m so pretty snow sure. i think you are taking a risk going to PSV in january if you are not a good skier - its only 1400m so risk of poor snow in jan. Granted - i went to st anton this year which is 1300m but i didnt book until after the early season snow had come and i realised it was going to be a good year. also i am not a nervous skier so a bit of slush or grass does not bother me (obviously i dont like it as i prefer the white stuff but i can get down it if i have to !!).
give some thought to a more snow sure resort - i know we are all differne and like differnet things but why chose a tiny, low donw resort when you dont have to !!! good luck !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charlichops, it's my favourite time of the year for skiing, as the snow is usually fine, and in good condition. I also agree that if you have a particular holiday and need childcare for young ones I would book early too. We have had the best snow conditions on our January holidays. I found it less icy than March, as temps are colder during the day, and less snow melts. backhojo, PSV is an ideal resort for young families, and prices are much more affordable than VT etc. I suspect you don't take kids sking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, thanks Helen.

backhojo, actually the main resort of PSV is at 1600 and the slopes go up to 2750 so not really low down. Also if you look at it's historical snow conditions it is pretty impressive. Helen is also right snowbizz and PSV are perfect for a family and we are not the ricjest of eople so don't want anything too expensive this time, we just want to go to a nice family resort for our kids forst skiing experience. Believe me i am keen to go to the 3V's and the paradiski area as much as anyone but when i know my kids are happy with skiing then will be the time we we will do that
snow report
Helen Beaumont, we have two kids and went to st anton this year and la plagne last year. the difference is that one is in nursery and the other is only 4 so ski slopes are not that relevant yet - basically all resorts have a kiddies area near the lifts. the problem comes next year now that my 4 year old is vernturing out onto real pistes. there is no way he could manage a difficult resort like st anton as the step from baby slopes to blue runs is massive as all the blues are french red standard. I guess we woudl stay away from PSV as my wife and I would ski the 67km in about 2/3 days. we like to venture out on long ski days and explore, we hate repeating the same pistes over and over. I would have thought anywhere in the 3V woudl be ideal for kids as there is such a mixture. courchevel has some excellent easy slopes all close to the resort and i have never found the area any more or less expensive than anywhere else. Courchevel 1600 is a superb place for beginners and children and you can get lunch for 5/6Eu at the panini stall at teh bottom ! Unless PSV is silly cheap I cant see how it can be much different to most french resorts on the cost front ?? . Obviously we all have differnet crietria and i am sure we all enjoy the choices we make - never the less you will probably never see me in PSV !!! unless i go as a one day trip as there might just about be enough pistes for one day !!! LOL
ski holidays
charlichops wrote:
we are about to book our trip for next january (The 18th) and because of my husbands job we can't go any other time than jan as he can't take holidays between feb and april. I've never been skiing this early before and am worried about the snow conditions. I know this year is fine but what it it generally like.

Mid-Jan is almost peak-Winter.

Everywhere, from roughly 700m up, will have snow.

You can pick from any resort in any country. It will be fine.
snow conditions
Whitegold, I agree with him/her for once. This time of year IMHO is the most snowsure.

Most places have good snow this year at the moment. You can pick where you want to go, you shouldnt be dictated to by snow.
snow report
charlichops, We have been to La Plagne/Les Arcs for last 3 years in Jan. Snow last year was rubbish below 1500m but as so much of the resort area is 1600m and above we had a fantastic time. Will go back in January next year to same area, with any luck it will be Arcs 2000 Cool

One to think of is the famous La Rosiere. Supposed to be nice and very family friendly. snowHead
latest report
backhojo horses for courses wink but believe me when your kids reach skiing age you may change your criteria somewhat rolling eyes for the first few trips.charlichops, you stick with PSV Smile The snow will be much better in PSV early season but more importantly it will suit you and your family much better than the bigger mega resorts.
snow report
haven't read the entire thread so apologies if I'm repeating others, but I have skied early to mid Jan every year for 15+ years and have always been OK. Mind you, we tend to head to the higher resorts anyway, but I wouldn't fret at about January at all, usually the weather has been kind to us, sometimes a bit cold but usually sunny. Go for it and enjoy.
snow conditions
hedley, i agree party with what you say although our son HAS reached sking age -this year was his second year on skis. we were thinking that if our eldest had been any better at skiing this year he would have struggled in st anton. i would have no issues going to the big resorts as long as you select carefully - courchevel, la plagne, la tania, peisey, meribel mottaret all have nice easy groomed carpet pistes near to the resort centres. perfect for kids plus there is an extensive network of skiing for us. PSV cant offer ALL that. yes its good for families - but what does that mean ?? kids have nice slopes but nothing to do for the experienced skiers !!! our view is you can get a better MIXTURE by going to a larger / linked resort...but as you say "horses for courses" !!
latest report
backhojo, I agree with what 'most' of what you say there too.
Indeed I am myself going to La Tania 'en famille' at easter.I do think that those of us that are fairly advanced skiers ought to open our eyes a bit to the charms of the many smaller resorts,rather than becoming obsessed with 'clocking up mileage'.
PSV for instance although relatively small in Km's has a huge variation in terrain when you take into account off piste /trees/bumps/below lift pylons etc also true off piste if you ski off the back into the Narryoux valley.Terrain which if you 'dont like to ski the same piste twice' you miss out on.
I guess my point is that if you slow down enough to appreciate your resort a bit more, you can double the skiable area just by seeking out often unseen routes/lines etc,thus when coupled with the cheaper prices,quieter pistes,lack of q's etc etc the smaller resorts like PSV can come into there own a lot more,especially with a young skiing family.
snow conditions
backhojo, I have been to most of those places and like hedley said it is horses for courses. Some of us are perfectly satisfied to do the same pistes over and over again. PSV is substantially cheaper than the French mega resorts. Not only in the restaurants but also for the lift pass. A mega resort will work with kids if they are good skiiers and not having any lessons or are in all day childcare. For that combination of kids in ski school in the morning and family skiing in the afternoon PSV is perfect. In addition the Snowbizz setup is very good at supporting this with excellent instruction in the morning + an extra hour of care so we can ski for 3 hours sans kids and a 2 hour kids club at dinner time in the evening so you can have an adult meal in a restaurant which won't break the bank.

charlichops, we went twice to PSV in January and there was always good snow. In fact except for last year, mid January is a very reliable time to go. One advantange of PSV at that time of year is that the piste front is a real sun trap and we were always comfortable eating outside at lunch time.
snow conditions
thanks everyone, i guess i won't worry too much wether i choose PSV or another resort about there being snow
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy