Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Could do with some help with getting this carving thing sorted!

I’d say I’m a lower level intermediate (being skiing about 3 years, done about 4 weeks aboard and lots of trips to the snowdome, can get down most red’s quite easily, and tried a few blacks before) and can ski parallel (skid) turns well. I want to move away from skid turns and learn how to do proper (i.e. hip scraping on the snow!) carving turns.

I have read loads of books, website, and watched lots of videos to try to learn how to do them. So, armed with this information I went to the snowdome this weekend with a view to putting theory into practise, but it did not go to well! Puzzled

I was starting off by standing facing down the slope using my poles to hold me still and then roll on to the edge of my skis and then rolling forward by letting go of my poles from the snow. Most of the time, the skis did turn without me doing anything, but it felt really unstable and unnatural. I can’t even imagine doing it a at speed! Shocked

It seem’s really strange just relying on the ski’s to turn me and its hard relying on the inside ski and not just the outside one.

I would really like to get this sorted before I go to Courchevel on the 19th Jan. Any one got any tips or tricks?!

Thanks guys!

Matt snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you may find it easier when you have a bit more space than you get in a dome - a bit of speed really helps! use of the inside ski is a bit of a can of worms. i wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage - just concentrate on the outside ski and allow the inside ski to follow you around
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mf-racing, Once you get up some speed ride them like a bike. What I mean is use your body weight on the inside of the curve to oppose/balance the centrifugal force generated by the turn. Get lessons to get the proper position, I have described the basic bit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mf-racing, start on something with a really tight sidecut like a skiboard (or snowblade). This will enable you to get the feel of carving at relatively low speeds. Then gradually move to a bigger sidecut for faster wider carves.

If you really want to do hip scraping carves though it might be better to take up snowboarding.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mf-racing wrote:
I would really like to get this sorted before I go to Courchevel on the 19th Jan. Any one got any tips or tricks?!

Take some lessons to work on it. Some great ski schools in Courchevel (Supreme, NewGen, etc). Don't rush the start of the turn otherwise you will rotate the skis. It's not so easy at a snowdome as you don't have a lot of space or speed to work with, especially on the first turn.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mf-racing, You will need carving skis lots of space and some speed to get the carving going ok. You should be ok when you try it in the resort
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deffinately more speed required. I don't think starting to move with the skis already on edge is ever going to feel very nice.

Something to try - on a relatively empty flat piste, start to run straight down the hill and then gently point your inside knee towards the direction you are turning ie if you are wanting to turn right then point your right knee to the right. This will place your inside ski onto it's edge and the outside ski will follow of it's own accord. Just do the one turn and hold it until you start to point back up the hill. As you progess start to think about weighting your out side ski at the same time.

I found that when I first started to carve I would start to soon and both skis would carve a different line, usually one ski hitting the other. For me, starting to move the inside knee first helps to keep both skis on the same track.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must admit I'm really confused about this whole "carving" thing. Whenever I read about it I always think "hang on, that's what I've been doing right from the start, isn't it?", but then all the time people talk about it like it's something you learn after you've already done a month or two on the snow.

I tend to initiate turns pretty much solely by weight shifting, not by steering the skis (at least, I don't think so...). Am I carving or not?! Maybe I'll never know!

Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will be getting a clear message from riverman's and other's postings: if you are starting off down the flow-line, you need to go straight for a good few metres to get some speed up before starting to tilt your skis. A good exercise for you is to set up more across a slope and start a traverse, feet apart and your skis tilted. Keep the skis at the same angle, let them run and they will take you on a smooth curve till you stop partially uphill. Look back at your tracks: two neatly railed lines in the snow and you're getting it; blurry bits show if you have skidded. As you get the hang of it, gradually move your start towards the flow-line.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paulio, Imagine you were riding a bike around a city that has trams. Imagine you got your wheel stuck in one of the tram tracks and the track heads of around a corner. That feeling of being stuck in a rail is the sort of sensation you get when carving.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
krekeg wrote:
start to run straight down the hill and then gently point your inside knee towards the direction you are turning ie if you are wanting to turn right then point your right knee to the right. This will place your inside ski onto it's edge and the outside ski will follow of it's own accord. .

Have to disagree. If you tilt your inside ski first you will be imbalanced with too much weight on your inside ski.
Aim to tilt both skis simultaneously and to the same degree: a useful exercise (without poles) is to put your hands on your knees and push both knees over to effect a smooth and equal tilt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Have to disagree. If you tilt your inside ski first you will be imbalanced with too much weight on your inside ski.

I find it helps to stop me 'A' framing, particularly on the first turn. Once we're off it's less of an issue.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I'd have thought that working on tilting both skis together was a better way of stopping A framing than going the opposite way with your uphill ski on an edge and your downhill ski flatter. That way you start banking. I just can't get my head round the notion that you "place the inside ski on an edge and the outside ski will follow of it's own accord." How do you resist the centrifugal force that Dypcdiver, mentioned? Banking on an upper edge? How do you initiate a turn in this way, not from the flowline but more usually from the end of one arc into another when you are going more across the slope?

Maybe I'm making too much out of a wee trick krekeg uses momentarily to help him, but I'm anxious that while it works for him, it isn't good advice to mf-racing, who is wanting to start developing carving skills.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there are a multitude of ways to describe the same thing. Some ways click with some people and not with others. It was when I read phase 3 of this website http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/shapeshifter.htm, this website http://www.youcanski.com/en/coaching/parallel_shins.htm and after watching the Warren Smith DVD's that I started to place emphasis on the inside knee. The Warren Smith DVD's teach you to grab just the inside knee and pull it towards the corner. For me it was my urika moment. I don't end up over weighting the inside ski (I know how that feels) but it does help me to maintain parrallel shins and consistent edge angle.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting linkskrekeg. The writer in the first one is talking about consciously rolling the inside knee and letting the other one follow and I am with that - it was your reference to the outside ski following of its own accord that bothered me (sounded altogether too passive and imbalance). I think it does help to be think consciously of moving the inside knee and to seek a physical awareness of the movement because that is the knee that is liable to be left behind. I reckon that the exercise described there is intended to help synchronised movement rather than early movement (on the basis that if you think you are doing it early you have a better chance of doing it at the same time!). I was embarrassed a few weeks ago on a training course to see from a video that my shins were not parallel (it's so easy to be lazy and allow bad habits to creep up on you, ) and had to do precisely that - concentrate consciously on the inner knee. I was also aware, and the second link mentions this, that my weight was not well centred - which will tend to make it more difficult to keep the skis evenly tilted. (By the way, a double pole plant can help to reassert a square on, centred position if things get out of synch.)

All of which is way beyond what you were asking about, mf-racing. Don't get hung up on theory and analysis: get out there, get a lesson and do it. And especially, have fun doing it. Smile
latest report
The best carving lesson, and to be honest the only one I've had, was from a mad Slovenian instructor in Austria who didn't say much but just went like a bat out of hell. Our sole instruction was to keep up Shocked

It worked a treat. We never had time to think about technique or what we were doing with our skis but the only way to stay on his line was to carve. Somehow it worked! Great fun but very scary.
latest report
www.sofaskischool.com do a video which I thought looked good. It was a snowhead who first brought it to my attention, sorry can't remember who. Anyhow I thought it made sense Very Happy
ski holidays
krekeg, To follow the Instructor at a good speed is I would agree is a big help in carving turns . As soon as i could keep up he would go a bit faster and also tighten the turn . Only works in A 1 to 1 situation.
snow report
riverman wrote:
krekeg, To follow the Instructor at a good speed is I would agree is a big help in carving turns . As soon as i could keep up he would go a bit faster and also tighten the turn . Only works in A 1 to 1 situation.

Deffinately needs to be 1 to 1. We were 1 to 2 and my mate who was behind me never got anywhere near the same benefit. He was following me and I was probably going all over the place. Also the tightening the turn thing is magic. It all gets very hectic and very exciting!!!
snow report
Don't use the inside ski when you first learn to carve, you'll be going too slow and and it won't work , get as much weight as poss on the inside edge of the outside ski and keep the inside ski flat. What part of Yorkshire are you, possibly can show you. If your a decent skier should have you carving (albeit long radius ones) in half an hour or so.
snow report
skidonald wrote:
keep the inside ski flat.

Why? Puzzled
latest report
When going slow it is very difficult to use the outsside edge of the ski. We're talking about people trying to carve for the first time.
ski holidays
How about trying this...
pick up your inside ski and tip it into the turn. Your outside leg will tip with it.

(not suggesting it's the only way to carve, but it's one way to get going on a one footed carve which isn't Harb to do.)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, that's far too Harb for me to do. Isn't there an easier way to do it?

Wink
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips guys, I might go to the snowdome on Wednesday night and give it ago again, if not i might just have to wait untill i'm in France...

Skidonald - I'm based in Huddersfield, but i'm over in Castleford SD quite a bit, if your ever there?
ski holidays
ccl, it sounds like skidonald is suggesting something like a Chinese snowplough. I personally don't like that as it starts getting you into an A-frame mentality that you'll need to undo later. I much prefer the progression your posts describe: first essentially a curved traverse, then on repeated circuits progressively point more down the hill at the start which turns it more into a single turn into the hill (also using the hands on knees to stop the tendency to A-frame) and then later into linked turns - but I'm not an instructor, so that can't be right Wink .
snow conditions
Quote:

Thanks for all the tips guys, I might go to the snowdome on Wednesday night and give it ago again, if not i might just have to wait untill i'm in France...

The only thing I would say is that snowdomes can be a bit narrow when you are learning to carve. On a propper piste to control your speed you would carve further around the curve, almost uphill, to control the speed. Obviously at the snowdome you can still carve but you'll be going at a fair old rate of knots by the time you get to the bottom! Skullie
snow conditions
If you look around you will see very few people doing good carved turns. Hints and tips wont get you close, I agree withrob@rar, get some quality instruction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skidonald wrote:
When going slow it is very difficult to use the outsside edge of the ski. We're talking about people trying to carve for the first time.

Well, the "learner" may be developing carving for the first time but he/she is no beginner and will be already be a parallel skier who can be encouraged to go fast enough for carving to be feasible - as indeed several people have encouraged mf-racing to do. There are good introductory drills to help develop positive edging with the lower ski (which is maybe what skidonald is referring to) - eg traversing and turning just on the lower ski, garlands; for developing a "feel" for changing the tilt of both skis together - eg sideslipping; and for getting the notion of being in charge of your edges - yes, Chinese snowploughs* which are great fun anyway (but not too many demos because they are sore on my hips wink ) But this is all introductory and I wouldn't consider starting the overt learning of carving other than with the understanding that both skis are tilted and with the practice of that - as in the traverse exercise I mentioned previously.

Could be, of course, that we are thinking the same things but expressing them differently - always a possibility when discussing technique in this way rather than at best on the slopes and at second best over a beer at the end of the skiing day.Smile Cheers.

(*Perhaps Chinese snowploughs are best left just as a game, but they do involve deliberate use of edges which maybe has a general value?)
snow report
Here's something you can practice at home - even in bed!!! Lying on your back with your knees flexed & feet together....

1. Move your right foot out several inches to the right
This puts your foot on edge as you would be when turning left. However your left foot is still flat and you are in the "A-frame" position
2. Move your left knee several inches to the left
This puts your left foot on edge, and your shins are now parallel with both feet edged & hip-width apart. Bingo - this is how it should feel on the slope
3. Go skiing
If you need help to get out of the A-frame, ski without you poles for a few runs and (if turning left as above) use your left hand to pull your left knee into the correct position
ski holidays
I'm not talking about chinese snowploughs, but I am talking about the first few attempts to carve and complicating things with A Frame talk etc is confusing for the first timer. Have people forgot however simple things seem now, it wasn't so easy the first time. You only need one leg to carve so get that leg working right then move on, keep it simple, we're only talking a few runs here, which is all it takes to feel that carving sensation. I am not trying to teach people to carve with their inside ski flat, I'm getting them to concentrate on their outer ski(the one doing all the work) first, anyone on here who is still learning will surely agree, one thing at a time is easy, bombard them with info it all goes to pot.
snow conditions
And then there's Harald's way : http://www.harbskisystems.com/olb3.htm

I have a friend who has sold his soul to this technique of developing to carving from skidding!

Would anyone else recommend this to mf-racing? snowHead
snow report
I've only read one of Harb's (many) books - but, on-balance, I think it probably helped rather than hindered.

Trouble with the book was that this "phantom move" could have all been explained in one paragraph (as it is in kewhoward's link). Yet Harb has managed squeeze a whole book out of it!

I've ended up adapting the "phantom move" slightly to suit my own skiing: I don't tend to ski with my feet close together (as Harb recommends in his books), and I don't think it's necassary to completely lift the new inside ski before you tilt it.

Certainly worth trying though, and it's certainly helped me with my carving.
snow report
http://www.sofaskischool.com/Carving%20Lesson.htm Still think it is easier to watch someone demonstrating rather than just reading.
ski holidays
ickabodblue, thanks for this - just had a quick look at work (with the sound down!) and it's helped me think about it - has mf-racing had chance to look at it too?
snow report
kewhoward, Don't think so, that's why I've posted it twice. As I said earlier I got it from another snowHead but can't remember who to give them the credit.
snow report
So we'll wait to see if it helps but I can't quite imagine trying to do this at Cas unless you hired the whole place to yourself Laughing
latest report
Thanks guys, i have seen that vid before and I thought it was really good. That’s where i got the idea of starting off with the skis or edge and just going down the slope letting them turn you. I'm not too sure if its worth me going to Cas to try again, I’ll have a think tonight. If i do I’ll let you all know. snowHead

To summarise, after reading all these comments i think i will try, just doing it with my outside ski first, then just with my inside and then both together! I now realise that i need to get some more speed up as well Very Happy

Keep it coming!
ski holidays
skidonald wrote:
Don't use the inside ski when you first learn to carve...... get as much weight as poss on the inside edge of the outside ski and keep the inside ski flat.

Quote:
I am not trying to teach people to carve with their inside ski flat

Hmmmm Puzzled

As I said, there are good drills to develop edging skills many of which concentrate on the lower ski and it may just be an immaterial semantic quibble on my part to define the start point of carving as being when you tilt both skis. It may not just be a quibble, however: I think it is important that the learner understands what you mean by carving and understands that exercises concentrating on one edge only are just that - developmental exercises, not actual carving. But that's a discussion about teaching approaches rather than about helping mf-racing to learn.

Now, after all that, why do members of my family call me a Pedantic Old Fart? I don't understand it at all. wink
latest report
mf-racing, I've sent you a PM.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy