Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speed on slopes question

Poster: A snowHead
What sort of speeds are averaged on most blue/red runs?

Boarders or skiers

This isn't a "how fast have you been?" thread - just that the perception of speed seems to vary greatly & so do the suggested speeds that people say they travel.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've always wondered what speed you get up to cruising along. So this year I took my GPS running watch.
I was averaging 35-40 on blues whilst doing long and medium radius carving, and got a 64 mph straightlining the bottom part of the Trolles black into Tignes le Lac.
While the damn thing worked anyway....
Just average lazy turns were 25 plus. I was quite surprised.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
markP wrote:
and got a 64 mph straightlining the bottom part of the Trolles black into Tignes le Lac.

64mph! That's mental! We have a speed-trap at the bottom of the Haneggschuss in Wengen (they leave it there after the downhill race) and the best anyone can do after a long steep schuss is about 100kph (62mph). And that's on a roped-off track!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmmm... is the watch broken or the speed trap? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seriously?
Can I assume that my GPS isn't very accurate? Very Happy

The only form of checking I've been able to do is in the car. It appears to be reasonably accurate. ( i know car speedos aren't exactly calibrated though...)

It's definitely very accurate at running speeds!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I recon its the speed trap.. the swiss are renowned for their poor time pieces Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mosh, snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Without the GPS or similar devices it's a bit tricky to tell.

So, here's my best guess-timate:

Before Christmas I skied from the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler Mtn to the base in 7 minutes.

Using a combination of Google Earth (in place of a map) and a few train tickets stapled together and a pen (in place of dividers), I estimate the distance between the two (horizontally) to be 4750m. The height difference is apparantly 1175m (given vertical gain of the gondola 675-1850).

Not forgetting that GPS works in three-dimensions...

...With a combination of pythagoras and trig (didn't need to do the trig, I just like doing it... Shocked ) I can estimate that the distance (directly between the two) is a shade under 5kms. Adding minimal route deviations I'd hazard a guess at around 6-7kms total route length (a pretty conservative estimate I reckon). So my low-end estimate average speed would have been around about the 60kph mark. This isn't too far off what I suspect my 'normal' average is on groomed runs, because I wasn't gunning it especially.

I do quite often hang back for the gap on a nice stretch (Grub Stake on Blackcomb is by far and away my favourite for this as there's rarely many people on it and it's not overly bumpy - booster rockets, check... Toofy Grin ). On these I'm probably pushing 80kph (ish).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
markP wrote:
Seriously?
Can I assume that my GPS isn't very accurate? Very Happy

The only form of checking I've been able to do is in the car. It appears to be reasonably accurate. ( i know car speedos aren't exactly calibrated though...)

It's definitely very accurate at running speeds!

It probably is accurate to be honest. Anything over (I guess) 50mph on a normal piste feels absolutely bonkers to me. It's ok on our little speed trap at Wengen as it's a roped-off section and you can absolutely guarantee there'll be no-one else on the slope or the run-out, but over 60mph on a public piste with other skiers must be pretty scary Shocked Skullie Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
markP, 64 seems about right for that piste.

I just got my GPS in the post so i'll let you know when I find some batteries. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In normal ski clothing, you'll top-out at about 70mph. Like the previous poster, I used a wrist mounted GPS. Bear in mind that this will slightly underestimate your speed because it does not take into account the slope of the hill (ie, you're actually skiing down the hypotenuse of a triangle...oops, sorry, Geek moment!! Shocked ). It shouldn't make a huge difference on most slopes but if you're going for max speed...you'll need a decent gradient.

Altitude helps too; I got 72mph on one of the runs at the top of Cervinia. Admittedly, I was tucking it to see how fast I could go on a pair of 171 slalom skis! It's probably pretty uncommon to get to those speeds without making a special effort.

As stated by the previous poster, cruisy mid-radius turns 25-35mph, gunning it a little takes you up to ~50-55 mph...but you've got to be trying fairly hard (in normal ski clothing) to get much above 60mph. I got 60mph out of the very meagre hill at Canada Olympic park, in Calgary a couple of weeks ago (on aggressive artificial snow)...but again, gradient is the main determinant, especially in normal ski clothing.

Am I qualified to comment? I think so...top speed: 241.5mph (150.1mph), Les Arcs, 2005.

A word of caution...only try to set your records when it's safe to do so, PLEASE!!! That is, if there's any possibility that you might hit someone...or (if you crash) bits of your kit might hit someone...wait for a safe opportunity.

Happy speedin'

Dr. Bullet
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh my goodness. I hope you all wear helmets Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike, essentially the bottom part of the trolles is a "roped" off area with a steep concave slope and a good runout separate from the marmottons area and the nursery slope. Two of our crew straight lined it from the last track bit and I did it a few times from halfway down and I could easily believe that kind of speed. On the other hand I was told that instructors regularly look for a gap in the "traffic" and take little un's in the marmottons area across to the nursery slope. We debated long who would be responsible. The uphill skiier or the instructor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevew wrote:
.............We debated long who would be responsible. The uphill skiier or the instructor.

Primarily the uphill skier, IMV.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew wrote:
, essentially the bottom part of the trolles is a "roped" off area with a steep concave slope and a good runout separate from the marmottons area and the nursery slope. Two of our crew straight lined it from the last track bit and I did it a few times from halfway down and I could easily believe that kind of speed.

It does surprise me that terminal speed kicks-in so early. I've seen AdrianV do 88kph down the Haneggschuss on snowblades Shocked yet no-one (and certainly not me!) can get much over 100kph no matter what they do.

Maybe we need something steeper. DrBullet - do you have any suggestions? Toofy Grin
snow report
If you straight lined from the bottom of the mogulled bit on the Trolles black you would hit 60 mph/ish. Never had the bottle to do it personally
snow conditions
telford_mike, There are 2 things that slow a skier down, first friction between the ski and the surface, so longer skis and better wax to go faster and second wind resistance, so clothing and a good aerodynamic shape.

Try Les Arcs. hire a DH suit, Skis, bit of tuition and have a go on the KL. Good controlled area, so you're not going to kill anybody else and it minimises the risk to yourself, when you want to go ballistic.
ski holidays
telford_mike, maybe you need to take up skydiving.
latest report
did the timed speed run in schalming a few years ago and got up to 75km/h which felt pretty quick to me and it seemed to take an age to slow down at the bottom, how the racers stop in the space they have a the bottom of a race course i'll never know !!
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
telford_mike,
Try Les Arcs. hire a DH suit, Skis, bit of tuition and have a go on the KL. Good controlled area, so you're not going to kill anybody else and it minimises the risk to yourself, when you want to go ballistic.

Are you serious? i.e. can normal punters actually do this??
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog, Glad to see my watch investment wasn't wasted! I thought you'd be able to crack 70 with no Jacket on, but maybe not!
It was always a little too busy and bumpy to straight line from the track. I did it from just above where the slope briefly flattens out.
I'm no fan of walking uphill that's for sure...
latest report
DrBullet is right, been keeping an eye on my speed for a couple of years with a GPS device and can't get much past 60mph - have tried on a variety of slopes. Think most people would be surprised by how fast normal skiing is, just a decent upright (as opposed to tucked) cruise down a wide open red or blue will hit 45+mph if you let the skis run.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
telford_mike,

It depends what you class as 'normal'. But yes anyone can have a go, it cost's around 8 euro and you get a certificate. which has your speed on it.

Puzzled
ski holidays
Folk always think they are going faster than actually are Smile
snow conditions
Probably 25-30 mph carving on a wide, open piste. 40 mph if I'm carried away. I've topped out at 56.4 straightlining. Short radius on steeps must be a lot slower and off-piste is almost nothing! snowHead
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
telford_mike,

86MPH for me. The top section wasn't open, but that was plenty fast enough believe me. Normal piste skiing, even when in a tuck is nowhere near that fast.
snow conditions
jeez no wonder i'm scared
latest report
Clocked 91kmh on my GPS on run 7.0 from the top of Zermatt into Cervinia at xmas. Also clocked at 73 km/h coming down from the Glacier there. But then I do have the advantage of gravity on my side Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to a GPS (garmin etrex) my friends 8yr old son topped out at 66kph (I hope it was kph and not mph) in the dolomites over new year. One of our nordic skiers was clocked at 88kph on skinny skis through a speed trap on the downhill section of a sprint race in canada.
snow report
The only time I was measured on a speed gun was when I was 18 using really long skinnies. I topped at 70 mph but that was on a steep, in full tuck, and jacket abandoned.

Honda Kitty, I would say that most people are averaging between 30 and 40 mph on reds and blues.

There will be some faster but the one who are slower are the ones you really have to be cautious of.
ski holidays
The_Hirsty, I would be utterly amazed if most people were averaging anything like that high a speed.

30-40 Kph, perhaps. but not mph.
latest report
REMINDER

"This isn't a "how fast have you been?" thread"

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
DrBullet wrote:
I used a wrist mounted GPS. Bear in mind that this will slightly underestimate your speed because it does not take into account the slope of the hill (ie, you're actually skiing down the hypotenuse of a triangle...oops, sorry, Geek moment!! Shocked ).

In a word - incorrect. GPS works in three dimensions (and has an accuracy to within about 6m horizontally and 10m vertically - of course, moving fast will have a slight effect on its accuracy...).

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-01-08 13:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I had a GPS unit when I was in Les Deux Alpes last year, and clocked up 60mph on a fast, wide and flat blue which leads to the lift at the bottom of the Boarder Cross. Well it was 59.7mph actually, but it's near enough. wink I did it again to get over the 60mph, even pulled my jacket in as much as poss, but still only got 58.6mph.

It's probably easier in the morning when the snow is harder! Very Happy
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
The_Hirsty, I would be utterly amazed if most people were averaging anything like that high a speed.

30-40 Kph, perhaps. but not mph.

D'oh. That was an intentional error to ensure that you are all paying attention.

Honest. wink
snow report
Ha ha... this is the UK - lets have the answers in MPH please!!

Thanks for the replies

So what are we saying between 30 & 40 mph? 30mph is kinda what I thought

Smile
snow report
Honda Kitty, I have an arm mounted GPS that is fairly accurate (measured against my car speedo and satnav. Last week in Maria Alm I was cruising around at 35 kph / 22mph most of the time, but on a bit of a schuss got up to 58 kph / 36mph. 40 kph / 24 mph seems quite quick. Anyone doing over 30 MPH on a piste with other folk is asking for trouble IMHO.

P.S. my 'average' speed over the day was 18kph / 11 mph, but I think that included beer stops Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
Cool = thanks, it was one of those things that when I started thinking about it, I couldn't figure out.

Smile
ski holidays
AxsMan, my SatNav thingy gives similar readings to yours.

Also interesting is lift speeds - ordinary chair approx 7mph, button lift 10-11mph, detachable chair 12mph (all approximate).
snow report

On this slope on Alpe de Suisi in Val Gardena over New Year this year, I clocked approx 94km/hr with my twin tips, only did it once so was getting used to the speed but imagine I could get a few more kms/hr out of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy