Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naive question re. lifts

Poster: A snowHead
As a novice skiier I get lots of information about lifts whenever I look at a resort - but I'm not sure what they all are?

I've been on a POMA lift at XScape and some years ago used ski lifts in the summer at Les Gets - I'm guessing they were chair lifts and a bubble? Anyone able to provide me with a glossary of different types and the pros and cons for skiiers?

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Téléski - drag or button lifts are often called POMAs but this is a bit of a misnomer as Pomagalski make all sorts of ski lifts. Anyway, you know what they are and will probably have realised that they are the least desirable forms of ski lift - at least they are for most skiers Wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 20-01-08 15:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickB wrote:
Drag or button lifts are often called POMAs but this is a bit of a misnomer as Pomagalski make all sorts of ski lifts. Anyway, you know what they are and will probably have realised that they are the least desirable forms of ski lift - at least they are for most skiers Wink
Thanks Nick - I'd been reading about drag and button lifts and was guessing they were the same. Glad you have confirmed wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Télésiège - fixed speed chair lift

Télésiège débrayable - detachable chair lift. The chair comes off the main cable onto a slower system at the top and bottom of the lift for easier mounting and dismounting. Some have a moving carpet incorporated to speed things up a bit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Télécabine - gondola or bubble. Small enclosed cabins, usually for between 4 - 8 people. The skis or boards are normally placed into slots on the outside, causing some distress to newer skiers who are often convinced that their skis will fall off during the journey. The ski slots on older bubbles are usually too narrow for modern 'fat' skis and are a bit of a pain to use.

There are a few open gondolas about which look quite comical.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 20-01-08 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Téléphérique - Cable car. Much larger cabin that can take hundreds of passengers, normally standing. Skis are normally taken inside.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Randonnée skiing, a need for nothing other than fresh air and a pair of lungs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surface drag lifts i.e. button type and T-bar (2 man version) are often knicknamed Poma lifts, as Poma were one of the first major manufacturers of such ski lifts. But Poma now make all kinds of lifts as NickB mentioned.

So lift types:-

Drag Lift (buttons & T-bars)
Chairlift - can be 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 open seaters. The modern faster ones that slow down when getting on/off are often referred to as high speed - detachable)
Gondola - sometimes known as "bubble lifts". You remove your skis and walk into an enclosed bubble. Usually carry about 10 people)
Cable Car - Huge 50-100 man beasts, the sort of thing you see in old James Bond films.

There are also a few tram lifts around, basically a small train.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funiculaire - Surface lift, normally a chain/cable towed train such as the excellent Grand Motte funicular in Tignes which passes through a tunnel in the mountain. These tunnel trains have the advantage of taking many hundreds of passengers, very quickly with minmal impact on the environment.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dont forget the "bucket lifts which carry only two people standing up-right and you have get into on the move.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rope tows - a rope on a pulley system that you hold on to usually combined with a grim expression and clenched teeth/buttocks. Normally fairly short across flat terrain

Magic carpets - shortish conveyors like the moving pavements in airports normally found alongside nursery slopes for kids.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Should've checked Wikipedia first - Ski lifts rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickB wrote:
Funiculaire - Surface lift, normally a chain/cable towed train such as the excellent Grand Motte funicular in Tignes which passes through a tunnel in the mountain. These tunnel trains have the advantage of taking many hundreds of passengers, very quickly with minmal impact on the environment.

"...with minimal impact on the environment"? Well, I suppose it is if you don't count blowing up the inside of the mountain! I seem to remember a big, if unsuccessful, campaign against the Cairngorm funicular a few years ago.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all - clearly should have checked wikipedia rolling eyes

In my defence I did try googling first wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stevo wrote:
"...with minimal impact on the environment"? Well, I suppose it is if you don't count blowing up the inside of the mountain! I seem to remember a big, if unsuccessful, campaign against the Cairngorm funicular a few years ago.
OK, minimal VISUAL impact rolling eyes
ski holidays
Sherpa - someone who carries your skis wherever you direct him!
ski holidays
Mazza,

Poma or 'button' lift - drag lift that normally rearranges your testicles and stops frequently while boarders get tangled and fall off.

T-Bar - variation of the above with large T shaped bar (clue is in the name) that can rearrange both your testicles and those of your mate. Also stops frequently while boarders fall off. Best not shared with female partner as she will sit on the bar taking it down to the level of your ankles which gets tiring on the steeper stretches.

2 man chair - old relatively slow chair-lift that when mounting nonetheless manages to hit precisely that part of your calf that your ski-boots have already made sore.

4/6/8 man chair. Much faster version that disengages from the cable, slows down and hence avoids the calf damage described above. However usually equipped with hydraulically (un) damped safety bar that will inflict major brain damage when panicking Italian pulls it down during the 1st second of boarding. Often equipped with heavy plastic wind cover that comes down with the bar, making it almost impossible to disembark once closed.

Bubble lift - small gondola which seats around 6 people or 18 flatulent French ski school kids

Gondola - larger version of bubble. holds dozens of flatulent smoking Italians.

Furnicular - train with a floor designed to make it impossible to stand upright at any angle.

HTH snowHead
ski holidays
Mrsfatcontroller's first venture onto a T bar involved her trying to use it as a button. Life has been a dissapointment since then for her Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
AxsMan, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

4/6/8 man chair

And if you go to Lech, you can sample the 8 man variety with heated seats Cool
snow report
Last year in Les Deux Alpes I had my first ride on a furnicular, it made me feel a bit uneasy, but only because it felt like I was taking my skis to work on the Tube! Almost looked for my Oyster card when I got off!
snow conditions
Caspar wrote:
Quote:

4/6/8 man chair

And if you go to Lech, you can sample the 8 man variety with heated seats Cool

Or at Kaltenbach (Zillertal area).

Incidentally, there are still quite a few 4 man fixed grip chairs around, you can't go by the number of seats as AxsMan suggests.
ski holidays
More details than you ever need to know about ski lifts in La Plagne here. Click on the name of each lift and even more details appear. (Although my youngest daughter is most concerned that the total number of each chairs on each chairlift isn't noted, so she is compiling this vital info ) http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Skilifts.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy