Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowcoach - Hotel Terminus in St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
On 4th Feb I'm traveling with Snowcoach to St Gervais, staying in Hotel Terminus for a week with 8 days on the snow Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Previously I've only done budget package flight deals from Gatwick to mega Savoie resorts, so I usually spend in excess of 1day travelling, with 6 days on the slopes, albeit from my door, and in a massively interconnected network.

What should I expect with Snowcoach's method of travel/ski resort? There must be a snowhead out there who's used them Puzzled How does Snowcoach and the St Gervais/Chamonix/Megeve region compare to my previous French skiing experiences?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Manda, never used Snowcoach but I did see one of their coaches parked at the ski show afew years ago and they were demonstrating how the seats folded down couchette style, so they may not be as uncomfortable as a conventional coach. Never stayed in St Gervais but I've skied there from Megeve. It looks a really nice old French town. I would guess the Hotel Terminus would be near to the old tram system up to Les Houches. I don't know if it's still running but if it is it's a back door onto Les Houches pistes. We always skied Megeve when we wanted a rest from Chamonix, nice village very well cared for and the same goes for the pistes, all beautifully maintained. Some good skiing especially on some of the tree runs, Mont Joly has the most challenging skiing. You'll find it very different from the skis factories but you'll also, probably, find it too far away to go Chamonix regularly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax, that's all correct. The Terminus isn't really in St Gervais at all, it's in Le Fayet. You could ride the tram up to Les Houches from there. You could ride the tram to St Gervais and then the resort bus to the lift but basically you need to rely on the snowcoach to take you places.

St Gervais/Megeve would be one of the most under-rated French ski stations I'd say.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, Sounds like you were speaking to Ski Meribel, who do the folding down couchette coach thing (to...ta dah! Meribel). Snowcoach's coaches, on the other hand, are advertised as "reclining", which I take to mean upright airline style! Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda. Went to Pra Loup with Snowcoach, but it was about 15 years ago. Journey was long but tolerable, they had enough loos/refreshments stops to make it bearable. My main advice would be to take your own food and drink, the queues at the cafe stops were very long with all the coaches converging at once. I expect the coaches have been ungraded since we went, they were just bog standard coaches then. We were impressed with Snowcoach though. They were very efficient and friendly, and I remember we got an amazingly cheap deal so any discomfort was worth it, in fact we still laugh about the holiday now it was such fun! Hope that helps a bit...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sallyanne, thanks for that. So far every package flight charter trip involved a day of sitting anyway (in car/bus/train getting to airport, while awaiting checkin, while awaiting (inevitably delayed) departure, during flight, on coach to resort), about 11hours in all - all of which is bluddy unconfortable at the best of times anyway. So 11 hours on a coach, much of which I plan to sleep anyway, at worst it can only be as long and painful as a charter flight!!!

Did their snow safari service exist when you went? If so, do you recall how many days was it offered?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're right, at least you are on the same transport from start to finish.... Vaguely remember the snow safari, but I was only a relative beginner so wouldn't have been eligible to join them anyway, but had a quick look on the website and looked like they do five days, which sounds quite good. Let us know how you get on, will maybe try and use them again in the future, the Terminus sounds interesting, and aren't they cheap?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sallyanne, ooooh very much cheap (last minute deal knocked it down even further!) especially considering the service on offer & accomodation quality. I'm a middling intermediate with about 5 weeks under my belt - bit of a wannbe piste basher so am keen to take advantage of the snow safari service!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will have a great time, hope you have great snow conditions. I will be over the mountains in Courcheval that week so fingers crossed snow conditions are good.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowcoach were awful. AWFUL. Don't wish them upon my worst enemies. Which is a pity, as the snow was great, hotel perfectly adequate, the transport comfortable, the ski exploring fantastic, fellow guests lovely, and friends had highly recommended Snowcoach. Sigh.

Snowcoaches' hotel and transport staff, however, were sufficently appalling on a daily basis to cast a pall over the otherwise wonderful trip. We got the feeling that guests were there for the staff's benefit, not the other way around. In addition the available food was inedible half the time, and the choice of meals often substandard even for a 2* hotel. Vital resort and travel information was regularly inconclusive, often lacking, and sometimes totally incorrect. 3 staff resigned during our stay. Suspect "management" have a steep cost-syphoning policy, and it shows in current staff morale - certainly staff appeared unable to be arsed to care that the rest of the so-called budget market has raised it's game since the 1980s. Met the owner, which now explains the whole badly organised Butlins-on-Snow experience.

Which is a pity cause, as I said earlier, the skiing was fantastic. Sadly each wonderful day on the slopes was marred by a new or ongoing problem thrown up by staff lack of interest in doing their job in a professional manner.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Manda, what an awful time. At least the skiing was good, if nothing else. I was guilty of saying that they used to be good, but it was 15 years or so ago. Have you complained to the head office? Are you getting the chance of another holiday this year?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A letter is in the post to Snowcoach HQ. Am off to Grindelwald for Easter, with a reputable outfit I've used before, so it should more than make up for last week's fiasco! I trust you enjoyed Courchevel? Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did. Had a lovely time, feel a bit guilty saying that now after your fiasco. Conditions were good. Ski Olympic were friendly and efficient without being over the top, so nothing to complain about. Had a right laugh in fact, so that's that. Back to work and thinking about squeezing in another trip before the end of the season. Good luck with Snowcoach, let us know if you get any response.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No need for guilt! Snow in St G was wonderful and I had the best time on-piste this year so far.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Manda,

I'm really surprised about your review of Snowcoach, they used to be very good, at least 7 years ago.
We still use the Hotel Du Gard which is owned by Michel every so often to make a change from staying in Chamonix.
And Snowcoach introduced us to them.
Le Fayet proved a good base for Flaine and Les Contamine etc for something different if you were prepared to travel.
latest report
Anyone been with Snowcoach to Le Fayet in the last 2 years? I've read the thread and Manda's bad experience in 05, but that does point to poor resort management at the time which was obviously put right subsequently. I'm off with kids there over Easter and really looking forward to it. Never done Snowcoach before, but it fits the bill for us and seems very good value.
snow conditions
Manda - I too am surprised at your experience. I stayed with SnowCoach on a weekend basis about three years ago and I found the whole experience to be rather good. I was particularly impressed that the owners ate with the guests and seemed to really care about giving good service.

But things change.
snow conditions
SuburbanSkier, Was in St Gervais Dec 05, had a superb week, some of the staff are still there from then so should be ok. Travel with them usually 3 times a season, but to the other resorts.
snow report
Just found the Snowheads site, and thought to respond to some of the negative comments Re Hotel Terminus & snow coach. My self & 2 sons travelled with them in Feb 07 overland with conecting coaches from Sheffield onto Dover & then across France ovenight. The Coaches ae ok but nothing special, with reclining seats seating 48 passengers. Personally I would nevertravel overland again, its a killer!!! Though relativly quickly forgotten about once you arrive in resort early morning, have beakfast & then hit the mountain. The skiing is excellant & I would say totally underated. The options availalbe are hugly varied with being able to go over to contamines & on the Tramway to Les Huches & defiantly worth a the xpense of a visit to the Vallee Blanche. Just 3 weeks prior to this visit we were in Meribel staying in a high end chalet, all very nice but what do you go on a skiing holiday for? Personally its for the Snow snow snow & nothing but the snow of which there was an abundance at St Gervase. Yes the hotel is in La fayet & you are reliant on the Snow coach, though I was impressed with the operation coach leaves hotel usually at 08:45 & another at 09:15 both visiting Le Bettex & onto Contamines returning around 16:00 & 16:45. The Hotel staff were young with a smattering of older staff all very polite friendly & helpful, paticulalry the Snow Safari, indeed they really helped my youngest son 8yrs at the time who got wiped out by a boarder one day & wouldnt ski after that. Th snow safari Guide spent 2 hours with him gently encouraging & coaching him to ski again & off he went fear forgotten. Yes the Hotel is basic,& a little tired in places but the hospitality was 1st rate food plentiful and good quality. We rertunrd again for 5 days Easter 07 bit of a last minute & are going again on 10th Jan 08, though will only ever fly with flights from doncaster to Geneva for as little as £20.00 each way & a Taxi transfer costing £36.00 each return from Geneva to resort its just not worth the hassle overland. Hope this hel Laughing ps
snow conditions
meyerman, welcome to snowHead

Thanks for the info Very Happy
Linds & I also stayed with snowcoach in Val Cenis almost 3 years ago now, and loved it Very Happy
snow report
meyerman, we went there on 2/01/2005 for a week. Booked at short notice and flew from East Midlands to Geneva. The hotel mini bus picked us up (there were 4 adults) outside the arrivals and took us to the Hotel in less than an hour. On the way back they ordered us a local taxi but overall only charged us £50 rtn each IIRC.

The hotel is a little tired (as is La Fayet) and out of the way but the staff are great. Debbie the manager is brilliant and providing you show the staff the same respect that you would expect in return, they treat you really well. Most of the staff also run the camp site at Port Grimaud (St Tropez) in the summer and they are brilliant there as well. Been there twice.

Although not on the slopes, the snowcoach bus service from the hotel is reliable and will take you to St Gervais daily and sometimes Les Contamines or Chamonix or Argentiere. My recommendation is to try Combloux. It's pretty small but quiet. Ski from St Gervais to Megeve and then you have to walk through the centre of Megeve to the bus station on the other side and then get a freee "Navette" that takes you to the Combloux chairlift. It is a bit of a trek, so if you don't like walking in boots, don't do it but we enjoyed the change.

We may go back at some point for a short break. They are really good with booking odd numbers of nights providing there are rooms free.

Andy
snow conditions
Hi All,

I read Manda's report after i had booked with snowcoach , so was a bit worried

But i have been with Snowcoach twice now, St Gervais by air in 2006 and Val cenis by coach in 2007. Both i thought were very good holidays and excellent value for money ( both times staying in there club hotels 3/4 board ).

All the hotel staff where all excellent, rooms and food i thought where good too.
The only thing i did not like at St Gervais was having to rely on the coaches to take you to and from the slopes,especially rushing back to get the last coach when your lost up a mountain, but i guess a taxi would not cost too if you did miss it. In Val Cenis it is only a 5 min walk to/from the lift so i found that a lot easer.

I found the coach trip ok, I drove to Dover and joined the coach at about 6pm , had a meal on the ferry, back on the coach after about an hour they put a film on , watched that and then fell asleep when the second film started just after midnight. slept on and off all night waking about 7.30 to see the snow covered mountains so could not wait to get there then. I think we got there about 9.30am Saturday and i was on the slopes by 11am. coming home the coach did not leave tell about 7pm saturday i think so a full days skiing . So for me i think it was worth going on the coach , 7 3/4 days skiing insted of 6 by air.

I will hopefully be going with snowcoach again in 2008 (by coach). but i have not booked it yet

Mike
snow conditions
Mike SWest, Welcome to snowHead 's. Are you going back to VC?
snow conditions
Maybe back to Val Cenis or may try Valmeinier, see what deals are availabe.

Mike
snow conditions
Mike SWest; how did you rate Val Cenis? Am thinking of going there this easter. Its a toss up between VC & a couple of other places on 'my' shortlist ( one being in Austria).
Have a family in tow so not looking for hectic nightlife........how is the cost of eating/drinking out etc..........any pointers/tips gratefully received.
ta in advance
Mitch
snow report
Hi All

Newby to Snowheads so excuse lack of protocol. A group of 18 of us are going to Hotel Terminus in early Feb 2008 and we would appreciate some latest views on the experience. This will be the third consequtive visit to the Terminus for us and the first visit in 2006 was indifferent, the second was really good (service and food) so could not fault it. How are things now? Puzzled
ski holidays
Paul 369; Myself & my 2 boys stated at the Terminus in Feb 07 & thoroughly enjoyed the experiance. The rooms are a little tired, but the staff friendly helpful & efficiant, though I wouldnt recommend travelling overland on Coach, personally I found it a killer though quickly forgotten about once your on the mountains, despite puking my guts on the journey across France, probably due to a dodgy chicken onthe ferry. We returned again as a last minute at Easter 07 flying from East Mids to Geneva with Taxi transfer to the hotel at a cost of £136.00 return. As a measure of our experiance we are to return again on the 10th Jan 08 & again 16th Feb, both times flying from Doncater to Geneva with same taxi transfer to hotel. Belive me I wouldnt part with my cash if I didnt think the experiance was worth while. Karl
snow conditions
Paul369, I believe that there are a few returning staff from last year still at the hotel, and I can recommend the chef (just don't go out drinking with him)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returnd from hotel Terminus with Snowcoach yesterday, and thought I would post an update. The conditions are perfect skiing up on Mont Jolly in St G was superb, as was over in megeve & combloux, all area's of piste sking in powder 2ft deep. Last day spent over in contamines again a fantastic day to finish on. Returning staff at the Terminus are Debbie (manager) she runs a tight ship & doesnt let anything get past her & Martin the Geordie barman who also arranges the quiz night, chef & a couple of general staff. Overall the holiday was very good & excellant value for money. Were returning again on the 16th Feb. Musnt forget Duncan the ski guide this year he knows the area very well & considers all skiing abilities giving options of differant routes down to meet at agreed point.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy