Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi/Winter holiday advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

I'm a relatively new skier (ski in a day in MK + 1 week summer skiing) but it's going to fall to me to book a ski holiday for me and my OH this year, as I'm the one with an office job and a lunch break to surf for last minute deals in.

We are fixed by date (his work rota) to w/c 1 March, but relatively flexible otherwise. Would prefer to book a last minute catered chalet, ideally in the 3 Vallees (even more ideally Val Thorens) but obviously some flexibility depending on snow conditions.

OH has done a fair amount of skiing (3 years or so) and likes reds and presumably blacks and moguls (not been with him in winter) and is the confident type who likes to go fast.

Where, other than the 3 Vallees would suit us? He's already done Tignes and La Plagne, and doesn't want to go back. I think he mentioned one of those being hard to ski back to in the evening for a 2nd week skier.

I definitely want to do ski school, and he doesn't. I think I'd prefer to be taught in French, as I was in a mixed group with the ESF in LDA in summer, and found that the French instructions were much more sophisticated (French instructors). I have been taught to do other sports in French (which include explaining balance and weight transfer), and am still pretty well fluent, so there isn't a language barrier with a French instructor. Will they let me join a French group, and are the French language groups usually bigger or smaller?

Sorry for all the questions already!

R
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Suggest Alpe d'Huez, Serre Chevalier, or for somewhere more authentically French, La Clusaz.

I've done ESF classes in both French and English and agree that you get slightly more detailed instruction / feedback in French. However, in my experience (others may disagree), the French classes have a higher proportion of really hopeless skiers, whereas in the English class you have a greater chance that you will all make significant progress during the week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!

To be honest, would prefer there to be someone worse than me in any group I'm in, then me being a wuss doesn't hold everyone else up. I'm quite a nervous skier, and prefer learn new skills slowly and in detail rather than have to improvise when I don't know what I'm doing...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, I skied my second week in Alpe d'Huez last January, and found a good variety of runs to progress to; equally your other half should find plenty to keep him entertained. Can't exactly fault the 3V either though as I'm currently doing a season in VT (and my first week's skiing was in Courchevel), but I'm sure that there are loads of much smaller resorts that would suit equally well.

My experience of ESF from my first 2 weeks were a total contrast though; small group and good teacher in Couchevel (started with 3 in group, though a couple of days we had 5) but a much bigger group (10+) in Alpe d'Huez, which was too big for a second week skier, IMO.

First week in March will still be in the French half term holidays I think, so I'm guessing there will be a lot of classes (meaning you should hopefully find one with a level that suits) although again there could be considerable demand, meaning class sizes are unlikely to be small.

BTW, welcome to snowHead , good to see another one from Bristol.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keeping this thread strictly among Bristolians (just moved from the east side to the north side of the Downs), johnnyboy is giving you very good advice. I too did my first week in Courchevel and my second week in Alpe d'Huez (known generally as ADH on this forum) and yes the class sizes in ADH were larger. However the 3 valleys were busier (we kept getting knocked down by boarders), despite going to Courchevel in January which in theory is quieter. Also in ADH we spent quite a lot of time in the many snowparks during our lessons and the amount I learnt there about keeping my weight forward when skiing bumps has been the single most useful thing I have learnt so far from all my skiing lessons. The point he makes about 1-8 March still being in the French school holidays would be a strong reason for exploring alternative countries. Unfortunately chalet holidays that come as part of complete packages with flights and transfers tend to be in either France, St. Anton (not ideal for beginners and also very busy) or a handful in Italy and Switzerland (many of which are with Total Ski, who do seem to do quite a bit of late discounting). Italy tends to do morning only lessons and a lot (but not all) Swiss resorts do all day lessons (the main tour operators' brochures are the easiest way to see which Italian and Swiss resorts do all day lessons, for France ignore the brochures and google the resort name plus ESF, but most French places offer both am and pm). Another advantage of Austria and Switzerland is much shorter lunch breaks (France is 2.5 -3 hours gap between morning and afternoon sessions).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks!

The main preference for France is that I speak fluent French, which makes life a lot easier as it's me that needs the lessons and most of my previous tuition (1 week in LDA as opposed to 1 day in MK!) has been in French. My OH also speaks some French, although he's lazy when I'm around. I'm not too bothered about being in a big group. In a smaller group, the instructor would have more time to pander to me being pathetic, when what I need (in any sport) is a large kick up the behind. Motivation not to hold back the group also helps me stop being wet and just ski.

If we're not doing the 3V, I will need to convince him (I'm not really fussy), so keep the suggestions coming! OH initially learned in summer as well (La Plagne Glacier) and is apparently very happy with ice, less so with moguls, but can cope. I've never seen him ski, as he tried snowboarding in LDA this summer, but I'm fairly certain he was doing blacks at Tignes on his holiday last year. 3V appeals because there is so much piste area, he shouldn't get too bored, even if skiing with me on blues (which is what I was learning on at LDA in summer).

As for why I've not skied before, the ski season clashes with the international season for my main sport (fencing - hence the name), and I didn't want to risk breaking anything in peak season. Now I've stopped caring about fencing so much, I am determined to learn to ski, competently enough to have fun with my OH.

Good to see other Bristolians - why can't the build and XScape type thing in the SW. At least my parents live in Bedford, so I can combine a trip to XScape with a family visit!

R
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any comments for/against Serre Chevalier and/or Chamonix?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Randomsabreur, Chamonix is fabulous with fantastic skiing..but sadly not great for beginners. Personally I adore the place however it's really not great for nervous 2nd weekers (which you alude to in your first post) and is not blessed with Skiing convenience. SC I can't comment on as I've never been there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool, will remove Chamonix from possibilities. Anywhere else good. OH would prefer a big linked ski area I think.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
serre chevalier - big snow sure ski area, which is very french! which i'll let you know is a good thing. Lots of stuff for intermediates and expert skiers, i dont know about how good it is for begginers. There are lots of long greens, but i have no more knowledge. There are lots of trees, the area holds it snow very well and has lovely sunshine.

If you go DIY,
go to Monetier -
It is a very pretty village
not right on the slopes, but a short walk or short bus ride will get you there.
Spa baths, which are lovely at night.
Annoyingly inconvient for transfers. Ryanair do fly from Bristol to Turin on saturdays only.

Tour Ops
go to other villages, which in my opinion are ugly.
Villnevue and Chantermerle, there is lots of accomodation very close to the lifts.
1 hour 30 transfer from Turin.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Randomsabreur, and welcome to Snowheads (I think I'm allowed to say that though I've only been here a couple of weeks!)

Are you really keen on Val Thorens? It has its advantages for total snowHead 's but it is like the mountains of the moon up there - not a tree in sight. Also - a cautionary tale from the last 2 days of New Year week - Meribel valley was skiable up to the mid stations on the mountain but VT was closed completely for at the Thursday and Friday (don't know after that) due to high winds.

Also - something people often overlook is that lots of people (me included) do not sleep well at high altitude - even after a days skiing and anaesthetic from those nice people at the Frog and Roast Beef Little Angel

Meanwhile - the whole weather thing is a lottery - really late in the season (or in a really crap season like last year) then high altitude is sensible or even essential.

Everybody will have a slightly different list but my order of priorities is as follows:

Very close to slopes (hate walking / ski bus faff)

Big ski area - I'm not extreme and like to ski tour and see different areas

Sensible transfer distance from airport - in bad weather a 90 min transport can easily become 3 hours, a 3 hour transfer can take 6 hours or more.

Half board - it helps control the budget

If you add in France as essential the list is still enormous - in 3V I prefer Courcheval 1650 (and then have a big ski day out to VT)

A favourite is Les Carroz in Grand massif - ticks all above boxes

I'd take the best looking deal you can get and have a great time....

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Cool, will remove Chamonix from possibilities. Anywhere else good. OH would prefer a big linked ski area I think.

Randomsabreur, Don't rule it out forever though! It's a wonderful, wonderful place!! Little Angel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't really know what criteria to look for - I have the difficulty of knowing very little about skiing - summer skiing was a long way from MK, but I'd imagine that winter skiing is a similar, if not bigger change. I suspect I will find more than 3" of snow on the piste a little exciting. I found the change when it snowed overnight before my last day skiing in LDA a little wierd - my first few turns were tighter than I meant. I did get quite used to going from icy to snowy to slush to solid ice with running water on top in a short run though. Also managed to cross a narrow stream without falling in it once! And by the third day, I could cross the stream without falling over immediately after it as well! Lots of practice! OH (snowboarding) fell into stream, and major puddles lots more than I did, but was otherwise much better than me!

Anyway, my OH said that he wants 3V and suggested staying as high as possible. Given that we will be booking relatively late, I assume we should be able to tell what the snow conditions are like for lower resorts in the 3V (Courcheval, La Tania, Meribel) so would be able to decide if we definitely want VT or should go lower.

As for lifts being closed, can you ski down from VT to other valleys for a day? I'd probably be happy with working on beginners' stuff on close nursery slopes (I like getting to grips with techniques under as little pressure as possible) and OH might switch to snowboarding for a half day if the weather is bad.

The criteria I have worked out/been given are:

Not Chamonix, La Plagne, Tignes, LDA (La Plagne and Tignes because OH doesn't want to repeat recent trips, Chamonix from this thread and LDA because OH isn't keen (and also because skiing back at the end of the day would be hard for me)).

High resort.

Plenty of blue pistes, (assuming that I'd probably be happiest on blues, as I spent a week on 1 at LDA basically on Puy Salie Blue). The glacier greens weren't open.

Plenty of interesting red/black pistes for OH to do while I'm in ski school (probably am only)

Half/Chalet board, so costs are known in advance. Wouldn't want to do self catered without a car, and it would be a pain to get snow chains for his car. Also as there's only 2 of us, we'd have under-occupancy issues.

France (OH criteria really, other than language ease for me - apparently cheaper than Switzerland, not sure why OH doesn't fancy Austria)

I guess that Andorra and Bulgaria wouldn't suit OH as he's relatively advanced.

Possibly a really last minute deal to the US/Canada could work, but long haul flights/jet lag would make a week a bit short?

Business isn't too much of an issue - in LDA, everyone was basically on 1 piste for most of the week I was there, other than snow park and racing piste next door.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Randomsabreur, I don't think you can ski down from Val Thorens without going up first - hence if winds are high you are stuck there unless you have transport. Somebody here will correct if I'm wrong I'm sure .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy