Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a Backpack/Rucksack for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
My backpack, a Berghaus Freeflow 20 has given up the ghost, I am now looking for a replacement backpack for skiing with.

It was ideal and am tempted to purchase another, but wonder is there anything else out there I should be considering?

cheers in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Heli-Pro.html

Got one of these... couldn't ask for more? Just something for you to think about!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, no Aframe carry unless you use the compression straps which I don't think really counts (I have an older one..)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.abssystem.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Silo-30
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Black Diamond 18l frenzy is wicked if you can find it for a resonable price. Nice to have something a bit different to the standard dakine stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an Osprey Switch 26 which is very nice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dakine Heli Pack, or the Heli Pack Pro if you need more space.

I've been using mine for 5 years now, not one problem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heli pack/Pro or the North Face off Chute both great bags
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Ortovox-Freerider-26.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I saw on my holidays in Finland one of these. Seemed pretty good for skiing - no too may hanging bits and a decent internal structure for the necessary stuff.

http://www.haglofs.se/prd/visaprod.asp?ID=1677&nid=782&lang=en&CatNr=390&CatNr2=&xCatNr=&NP=&Q=&HMtrl=&Str=&show=&ak=&nid2=875
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gooutdoors stores have the heli packs at very cheap prices between 30-45 quid for the whole pro range..

The smaller ospreys are good, and I also like my TNF megamouth one which I've used for mountian biking and sking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Silo-30

I've always looked at those and thought they looked nice.

How do the skis attach? Or are there various ways? Can they take big fat skis OK? Cheers !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been trying to decide between the Heli pack and the Cross rider

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Ortovox-Crossrider.html
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Heli-Pack.html

But I am really after a wear all day low profile pack and im leaning towards the Heli.

Taemo
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deuter or Ortovox.
snow conditions
cforcat, i love my Osprey rucksack, but if you want another Berghaus and you live near Nottingham they have a factory shop on Bobbers Mill that has some serious discounts.
latest report
papasmurf wrote:
Gooutdoors stores have the heli packs at very cheap prices between 30-45 quid for the whole pro range..

The smaller ospreys are good, and I also like my TNF megamouth one which I've used for mountian biking and sking.

Thanks for the tip, managed to get the smaller Heli Pack for £33 + £4 for the yearly card thing Very Happy
ski holidays
Used DaKine packs for years and they were great, but I've now switched to Backcountry Access - just a bit less fussy, fewer dangly bits. Mostly use an ABS pack now though.
ski holidays
Heli packs / heli pack pro are great, but EVERYONE has one or so it seems.
ski holidays
Black Diamond L20 Switchback. Does everything I need and very comfortable.
ski holidays
I have a Black Diamond L20 switchback -very well designed sack with a lot of useful features -I can make a direct comparison with the the Dakine Heli Pack as the Mrs has one. The Black Diamond is better made without a doubt and is absolutely bomb proof -buy one and it will last for years Very Happy
snow report
Fergus wrote:
Heli packs / heli pack pro are great, but EVERYONE has one or so it seems.

I have a Dakine Glacier. Its only 4litres. Big enough for goggles, tissues, drink, smokes, mobi and another base layer... which is all I ever want to carry. Its so light you forget you have it on.
ski holidays
So much faffing about. Don't take one. What are pockets for?
snow report
I eventually chose a North Face - Hammerhead backpack.

Ideal size, light, and comes with a hydration pack.
snow report
beequin wrote:

I used to think that.
snow report
beequin wrote:

Agree if im being honest, i used to convince myself i NEEDED a rucksack to carry all this stuff i never actually used. Spare goggles/gloves/base layer/hat, camera, suncream etc etc etc. Stop using one now and carry anything i need in my pockets.

60 quid for a rucksack is a wee wee take as well. If you have kids i can see the point but for adult skiers, what do you actually have in there which i 'need'?
ski holidays
sps89 wrote:
beequin wrote:

If you have kids i can see the point but for adult skiers, what do you actually have in there which i 'need'?

SLR, spare lens, spare midlayer, bananas, water, pistemap, suncream, keys...

Very Happy
snow conditions
Following some of the suggestions in this thread I picked up an Osprey Switch 16 today. Ideal as it's slim, hugging the back nicely, with nice weight distribution - you hardly know it's there. Big enough to throw in a couple of hats and spare base layers along with suitably loaded ham and cheese bagguettes and the other essentials for skiing at half term this should do nicely.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy