Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Touring setup ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have decided to purchase my own ski touring / skinning equipment afterfinding im participating
more and more in back country skiing thesedays.

I borrowed a set of 174 Snoop daddys 06/07 model with Fritschi Diamir Freeride Plus bindings a couple
of weeks ago and liked the set up very much finding it really easy to use.

I can buy this setup with the 07/08 ski from Sport Conrad (Has anyone any experiance in having gear shipped
to the uk from them ? any problems) for 509 Euro or if i opt for the Naxo nx21 binding it's 489 Euro.

The other ski i was thinking of was the Dynastar Legend 8000 again with one one of the bindings mentioned.

What do you experts reckon im best getting or is there another setup i should be considering.
I dont think i'm gonna be doing massive amounts of full blown touring like hut too hut stuff
just looking for a set up for skinning to summits etc but would like to maintain the
alpine binding release properties.

Thanks Little Angel

Regards Mark
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snoop Daddy is better than the Legend for touring.

Releasable bindings? You mean you want your skis to come off your feet? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Topsmoke, Heyya mateee!

I have just purchased from Conrad and a UK bootfitter. Conrad as USUAL were amazing! Great service, UPS tracking, ontime delivery and GREAT prices.
The English speaking contact is TONY.

If you do a search for threads I have posted in you will find all the responses on touring set up from various guys on this board.

This is what I have learnt.

Dynafit bindings: Great uphill performance (very light and good stride gait), great downhill performance (in tests as sturdy as alpine piste bindings). They need specific boots most were quite soft so nto ideal for big jumps or big downhill .... then Garmont released Axon-which seems just wow! Only potential problem of Dynafit is they do not release as typically as standard toe in heel clip bindings. Technically this could make them more dangerous on piste. This though seems a BIG if. They are work without a rail and so you have a natural stance with sole tight to ski board. The skiing should feel the most natural.

Fritschi: Very strange stride gait (you will walk like frankenstein) and very high stance (you could feel as if you are on stilts). New models of freeride plus have a lock so no more possibility of insta-tele mode (i.e. slipping into free heel mode) but I have found very few responses from European skiers who have experienced this problem.
The fristschi have a good track record and the Freeride and now freeride plus was binding of choice for semi-tourer who are more descent orientated and wnat to feel quite secure on steep and big air landings. There are reports of a certain lateral sloppiness in the bindings on the descent but it is still relatively tight.

Naxo: Early models broke especially NX01. Since then improvements haev been made every season. New NX21's so far have very good reviews and are marketed as being one of the strongest bindings for agressive strong skiiers. They have a max Din of 13 so a bit more security. Certain people claim that the NAXO din rating is about 1 off so possibly max is ~ 12. Naxo employs a triple pivot gait system so has a very natural stance and it is claimed to be very relaxing which is important as the less you accidently end up lifting the ski in touring the less you feel the weight. The system potentially has certain failings on traverses and on very steep ascents. It also has a slightly unique technique for kick turns but this just takes mastering. The Naxo NX21 has a strong lock so no accidental free heel in transit and the NX02 has a upright latch whilst locked so shouldnt ever be forced into free heel. The touring heel height is lower than Fristschi but Naxo claim this is mitigated by the triple point pivot?

Marker Dukes:
For huge air, stunt skiers or extreme descents this is a revolution. It has a din max of 16 although certain initial views is that it is more akin to 14. For sturdiness and stability again it is exemplary but .... currently not viewed as sturdy as Dynafits. It works perfectly in bounds. On a negative it has a 100% fool proof heel lock but this means that you need to take the ski off to switch between touring and ski mode. The latches are quite fiery when they snap and can hit your fingers. The touring heel heights are too low. The bindings are first year in production and they are extremely expensive. These bindings are the heaviest by far.
WARNING-although these seem like the killer bindings, I think all buyers need to consider if they are really the type of skier for this binding.

Silvretta: Light but generally behind the rest of the market.

Alpine boot compatible: all bar Dynafit.
Dynafit + Axon possible an alternative to a Duke based set up for killer descents or hucks when still wanting to ski in resort.
Naxo&Fritschi: I went for Naxo NX21 but either or if you prefer something where release and retention is as similar to alpine bings as possible.

BOOTS:

Lightweigtht: Scarpa F1 / Garmont MegaLite
Lightweight and sturdy: Dyanfit ZzeroTF / Garmont Megaride
Sturdy but Dynafit compatible: Axon
Sturdy and interchangeable soles: Endorphin

I don't really know much about boots. If you need toruing boots and want the best fit money can by then all roads point to Chamonix and possibly a visit to Footworks.

SKIS:
The shorter the easier the turn in the couloir. The thinner waist the easier the edge grip on steep icey traverse. The longer the greater stability at speed. The fatter the greater float in powder. What are you doing!

As a start I was advised a waist of between 70-90 and I plumped for 78cm waist and a length of 174 (I am 178cm tall and good skier) If I was taller heavier and more expert I would go for a longer ski. I also have very fat skis 105cm waist gotama and will use these for big big powder days with short touring access.

For your choices both skis are fantastic I would take the Dynastar Legend but they are equally good. With the Naxo NX21 and or Fritschi FR+ the system should be vey sturdy and good for aggressive skiing. Interms of total weight you are beginning to get fairly heavy but .... don't forget that Dynastar has 8000 over it becuase it was skiied from 8000m so if you are fit and young just pull it up hill.

If price is a concern SC have a great deal on Dynastar Legend 4800 and Naxo is cheaper than Fritschi.

To finalise ..... if I had already a good pair of stiff alpine boots then I would have purchased all Dynafit gear for touring. I do not think there is any reason not to use Dynafit optimised gear. To be honest if I was a bit mroe gutsy I would probably use dynafit on piste aswell. Like maky though I guess I like absolutes and the release on Dynafit is not supposed to be as forgiving on piste as that of Naxo or Fritschi hence my choice.

BTW I now ski Garmont Endorphin. K2 Shuksan. Naxo NX21 - They are sturdy, reasonably nimble good in all conditions. Compromise all the way through but hopefully a great compromise all the way through. How heavy is the set up relatively .... I'll let you know after I use it next week but I am 29 and I need bigger muscles so a bit of weight ain't all that bad.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-01-08 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yah - pistehors.com has some good info about the usual players as does wildsnow.com There are great reviews from Couloir magazine on near enough everything.

and all my views above are that of a novice ski tourer who has just read alot over the last month or so ... I hope it is accurate but I do not actually have the field experience to guarantee it ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Topsmoke, Why not use an Alpine Trakker and your current dh setup ? Pros - cheap, better dh control. Cons, Heavy, Faffy and not as efficient or light uphill.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/alpine_trekker/trekker_review.htm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also this may be helpful

Wild Snow 2007 ski awards

Best fatter ski: Goode, Carbon 95 (AKA BC 95) (This ratio of weight/performance/width is tough to beat.)

Best conventional construction midfat non-twintip lightweight ski: Dynafit, 7 Summits

Best softshell jacket: Cloudveil, Serendipity (Why don’t other jackets we like have Napolean pockets? Is this a mystery of the universe?)

Best water and wind resistant softshell pants: Outdoor Research, Tremor

Best classic softshell pants: Cloudveil, Rayzar

Best lightweight yet supportive backcountry ski boot: Dynafit Zzero TF

Best midweight backcountry ski boot: Scarpa, Spirit Three

Best beefy yet Dynafit compatible backcountry ski boot: Garmont Axon (Flat boot board under the foot wins our hearts.)

Best 4-stroke sled: Yamaha Nytro MTX (To take WildSnow honor must have custom ski rack and custom exhaust extension, we’ve got the rack done and will blog soon.)

Most interesting backcountry ski boot: Scarpa F3 (We’ll have a review up soon.)

Best backpack for longer day trips: BCA Alp 40

Most interesting backpack: Black Diamond, Covert Avalung

Most improved product: Black Diamond, Whippet (Wow, ergonomics, what a concept!)

Best backcountry skiing binding: Dynafit ST (The concept remains the same; high performance — low weight.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum wrote:
Also this may be helpful

Thanks very much for your advice Plectrum,I think im gonna opt for the snoop daddy 07/08 ski with the Naxo nx21 binding at the moment though will read up as much as i can about both the Naxo and the Fritschi freeride + before deciding which binding for sure.Just need to decide on which are the best skins now.She shopping list seems endless Very Happy

Thanks Again,much appreciated

Regards Mark
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Topsmoke, I purchased Kohla skins synthetic/natural mix. Synthetics will last longer but natural will work better so take a compromise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Topsmoke, trying to decide between Naxo & Fritschi will send you mad! Seriously though have a real hard long think about a Dynafit set up as it sounds amazing in any combo!

BTW what other bits do you ahve in your quiver inc boots?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No thats all for now ski's ,Bindings and Skins,I figure on using my lange fluid boots for the time bieng anyway.Like i said i dont plan on doing massive amounts of walking maybe 2 or 3 hours a day max (would this be classed as full blown touring) like i did a couple of weeks ago from Les Menuires to the summit of La Massse 1000 of Vertical although i have thought about doing some ski touring in this country Scotland and Brecon Beacons maybe (only an hour away should conditions allow).This weekend is looking good,damn if only i had the gear now !.
The Duke bindings have caught my eye now also after reading Arnos Feedback Grrrrrr decisions decisions.
Still reckon on the Naxo's and Kohla Skins with the Snoop Daddys 174 will be a good all round package for me 12 1/2 st and 6 ft tall,May ask for your feedback on the Naxo's though after your trip but i think my minds made up,Tony's phone number woulf be good if you have it still.

Thanks

Regards Mark
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dragging the Dukes up 1000m vertical would be hard work

do you need new skis? have you thought of sticking touring bindings on your current skis
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:

As a matter of interest why do you say that? I was contemplating the Snoops for a while, but never found any to demo, and ended up not going for them as I've not really liked Atomics in the past. (FYI, I have now gone with BD Kilowatts.)

Topsmoke The added joints on the Naxos always struck me as just something else to go wrong, but that's just prejudice and I've not actually tried them myself. They always say that it's to get a more natural stride than with the Fritschi, but it takes very little effort to get into a gliding stride pattern with them. You just have to remember to stop doing it when you take the skis off, or you end up with a face full of snow Shocked snowHead Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with GrahamN - the Fritschi "frankenstride" is another Fritschi "problem" which is massively overstated IMO
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN wrote:
davidof wrote:

As a matter of interest why do you say that? I was contemplating the Snoops for a while, but never found any to demo, and ended up not going for them as I've not really liked Atomics in the past. (FYI, I have now gone with BD Kilowatts.)

I was just comparing the Snoops with the 8000. The Snoop daddy is quite a bit lighter. I use the Sweets which I think is a better touring ski but I know a quite a lot of people using the Snoops now. But of course it depends on whether the overall config of the ski matches your style.
snow conditions
Artical on the Naxo NX21 v Fritschi
http://www.wildsnow.com/?p=717

I'm sticking with the Fritschi for now mainly because

a) I've already bought two pairs
b) Naxo have had problems
c) Spare parts are easier to come by (the guide only had spare parts for the Fritschi on the last hut to hut tour)

but the Naxo's might tempt me if I was buying again.
snow conditions
i've got fritchsi freeride plus on movement gladiators with crispi diablo freeride wellies. sweet! stiff skis and boots and actually love the height of the fritschis. occasional tourer (and actually more a potterer away from the crowds than a proper tourer, but the odd full day-spins over the back)

reckon it's pretty much each to his own though, get yourself some proper advice from a decent shop, maybe try a couple of combos if possible
snow report
plectrum, Great summary of the gear available.
BTW, I am on fritschi freerides with Movement red apple 74s works for me.
ski holidays
Topsmoke, I found the Naxo NX21 to be very good. I cannot say yet how they will perform after considerable use yet.
snow report
plectrum wrote:
Topsmoke, I found the Naxo NX21 to be very good. I cannot say yet how they will perform after considerable use yet.

Hi Plectrum,

I ended up flicking a coin in the end Lol.
Result was the fritchsi freeride plus on the 07-08 Snoop Daddys with the Kohla skins.They didnt arrive in time for Scotland with Roga this weekend but will arrive today hopefully. Little Angel

Regards Mark
ski holidays
Topsmoke, have fun dude I did a small day tour in Klosters last week and am hooked. Trying to jig the finances to do the 7 day Silvretta tour in April
latest report
Im hooked too,
Saw some excellent terrain over the weekend in Scotland which i am keen to get too asap.
All the gear came from Sport Conrad ok.
Got too work out how to cut to length and Trim the Kohla multifit Cobra Twin type Skins Puzzled

Should be ok though after a good read !

Was thinking of Skinning up Matson Dry Slope this weekend Toofy Grin

I have plans for europe later in the season now but like you that will be finance depending.

Hope your Silvretta Tour pans out

Regards Mark
ski holidays
plectrum, i did the Silvretta a couple of years ago its really good, without being too hard, hope you make it.
latest report
I've done a week in the Silvrettas too and it was a blast. I remember it being a real effort but we did do two ascents on some days (ca 2400 to 3100m x 2 = 1400 hm)

http://www.bergfex.com/sommer/nova/panorama/?mode=xl

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 15-01-08 14:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Bergzeit have some good deals just now, Scott, Voelkl, K2 etc.

http://www.bergzeit.de/ausruestung/wintersport/tourenski-sets/

I bought some avvy gear from them last year, excellent service.
snow report
Been there too... look at this....http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/3541/cat/all/ppuser/411 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
ski,

You can link it like this

snow report
DB, Clever - but how ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like the pic...
latest report
JT, Thanks. snowHead
snow conditions
ski wrote:
DB, Clever - but how ?

Scroll down the page where your pic is located in the snowMediazone, there's a box entitled "linked thumbnail" with a load of code - just copy and paste the code into a thread.

You probably know this already but "Drielanderspitz" = Three country peak.
The soldiers who worked on border control up there during the war must of been in good shape.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy