Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snowhead Ski Season - '3 Days in February'

Poster: A snowHead
Following these boards for the last few days , I can only assume that the 2007-8 ski season will be limited to 3 glorious days in February. I should howver qualify that -- it is only likely to be at a resort above 2500m.

-snowHead are giving advice to others suggesting 'NOT' going to ski resorts at 1200m in the first week of March 'cos it might rain!
-snowHead are giving advice to others that this season is in trouble cos it was warm for 2 days !
-snowHead are giving advice to others that anything below 1500m is too low !
-snowHead are worried that there will be no snow left in 6 weeks !

You've all lost the plot ...... you miserable Begrudgers !

Facts:-
- Many Alpine resorts have had snow since mid-November
- Many Alpine resorts opened earlier than planned
- Skiing after Dec 12th was invariably in cold. clear conditions
- Arguablt the lowest resorts have had the best conditions so far ( protected from winds)
- I'm yet to hear of anyone who has a bad experience with conditions .... yet ( apart from those who haven't been)
- Despite 2 days of 'rain' ski resorts are still in good nick --- even below 1000m
- Skiing conditions to date have been as good as I have experienced since I started skiing

Inevitabilities :-
- It will snow again
- Not every day will be a 'Bluebird' Day
- Some weeks and some locations Will be better than others ---- but NOONE here can tell you where nor when

What's the problem ? I know whingeing and nay-saying are the strongest British traits .... but it's no wonder others think we're a bunch of miserable gits ...

snowHead Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, well said. ..............
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre, Even in my mind, i can hear your accent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today was one of the best days skiing I've ever had.

I'm completely happy with the conditions. I can't complain! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, That makes you nearly as mad/sad (perm any 1 from 2 !) as me ! wink

Anything-afoot as it were ? You're quiet, or is it that you can't type and scratch at the same time ? wink Twisted Evil

Helen Beaumont, Spikyhedgehog, Perhaps that's the problem ... we haven't told folks how stunning it is /has been ... Confused No, I know that's not true .... Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, You left out 'dont ski in Feb - too busy as its half term' wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geri, The ones I love are the ones suggesting not skiing in 'French/Swiss/Italian 1/2 term' ! The fact that their holidays are heavily staggered by region and that it's us Brits who are more likely to be inncompetent, out of control and littered across the slopes doesn't seem to be relevant wink snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, Yeh, but it is nice when you no longer have to go during school hols snowHead wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geri, I know ( Insert smug smiley..) ... snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, so is that why you're living in a ski resort, but have only skied 1 run this year? You're waiting for the season to start wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre,

Well said. Even Scotland looks good!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, Just waiting for decent conditions ... I would suggest everyone takes up surfing ... there is no snow ... webcam pics are from 1981/2 ....... easiski is a Salomon marketing employee ..... Austria has sunk .......... Les Gets is actually on The Costa Brava ( take your own beer) .... Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, I'm writing off this Alpine season as too risky and pining all my hopes on amazing conditions in Thredbo around about June 26th at 12:34pm.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive started to panic when I saw rain, Im aime la plagne for two weeks starting 8th Feb are the 3 good days within that fortnight or will it be rain rain rain?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Argenterre - be careful otherwise every one will be heading to a certain low lying Swiss resort due to the good conditions
snow report
Steve Sparks, Do you play Russian Roulette often? wink

cmyers_uk, Maybe it will rain ... maybe it will not ..... but you will definitely have a good time as at least one of the 3 days is in that period wink However , woe of woes, you've made Cardinal error 3 and chosen Jonny Foreigner's skool holidays. My tip ..listen to what they say so that you can avoid them. Phrases like:- 'Aye Oop', 'Seen our Kid?' , 'I'm Bladdered', 'I'm bad wi' the Beor', ' are indicative ... don't make this mistake again . AVOID these weeks wink

rayscoops, Nothing wrong with Moerlialp at this time of year .... wink
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
..... Austria has sunk ..........

The rumours that Austria has sunk have been exagerated. snowHead

Pics from last weekend's Austrian ski tour in.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-01-08 20:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Agenterre, Should I cancel my Easter trip. I have heard that the gate I am leaving from at Manchester airport has a bit of faded carpet in one spot.?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Yes, cancel now .... Not only have you discovered the ultimate proof that Global Warming is an irreversible trend without leaving home ( How else could you get a faded spot in a carpet if it wasn't unplanned sun-intensity?) but also, having admitted flying from Manchester, all Surrey-Moms & Pops will know you're a cheap Northerner and unworthy of their company ....
ski holidays
Agenterre, I also have struggled to understand the slightly negative attitude. I am only feeling negative because I still have 12+ wks to wait and all the other snowHead s are going to use up my snow wink

I was thinking of going skiing late April in Val Thorens with a group of reprobates but have been put off now that I have discovered that one of them (Frosty the Snowman) is not from Surrey.
latest report
Have to say that I think regular snowHeads will have a far longer season than typical holiday-makers, and that's ignoring those snowHeads who are based permanently in resort. You only have to look at the PSB, Atomic Boot Tests and the EOSB to see that snowHeads are not scared of going early and late. Yes there are a few naysayers and thin-carpet-phobes, but surely one of the biggest impacts the forum has on people is to extend the season to at least five months?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 9-01-08 10:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nick L, There will be 20-minutes of snow left when you arrive --- this being because I've just missed the ski bus and there isn't another for 20 mins as I've been messing around on this thread. Embarassed

I'm sure you will enjoy VT although late-April is at least 7 weeks too late. There will be no snow. If you have never met a group of snowHead there are 2 ways to recognise them :-

a) They will be looking 'heaven-wards' and, with concerned expressions, discussing why it isn't raining when it should be and
b) Their glasses will be half-empty snowHead

PS -- Pending official ratification , Frosty the Snowman is becoming an extinct sub-species : he is looking for a country with a freezer in the garden
snow report
rob@rar, Fair points and obviously some(most) of what I have written is tongue-in-cheek ... but PSB/Atomic Camp/EoSB attendees aren't those 'writing the season off' for casual visitors to the site ---

the general 'tone' is a lot more negative than has been my experience ( so far) . All the examples in my OP have happened in recent weeks .... just seems a tad imbalanced.
snow report
If its only 3 days in Feb you won't get any accommodation (I know coz I'm trying) so take a tent and an extra pair of thermals Shocked
snow conditions
Agenterre, obviously this thread is tongue-in-cheek, but I do question whether the general tone is towards a shorter season. All you need to do is look through the snow reports, trip, BzK (for ski school reviews) and snowEvents sections to see lots of people reporting firsthand about early and late trips. Or maybe you're right and I subconsciously filter out the doom-mongers because I know they're wrong?
snow report
Agenterre, awesome - I'm skiing for 3 days in Feb, could you specify which three you are referring to.
snow conditions
Agenterre, I'm most unhappy with your prophecy. February is the only month I'm NOT skiing this season. I had an awful time at Christmas with blue sky and great snow - should I cancel the other three holidays I've got booked, do you think? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Agenterre, I agree that conditions have been fantastic, best Christmas and New Year snow for years, etc etc. also, that nobody knows what the weather will be in four weeks time, anywhere. However, I maintain it is perfectly sound advice to tell people to avoid school holidays if they can. The locals here know a thing or two, and they hate the two weeks of the Paris holidays above all; except, of course, for the fact that that's when they make all their money! However, that's no reason for anybody else to be here if they have any choice. Parisian kids are no better behaved than British ones, either though they can often ski better.

We can't plan our holidays ahead around the weather, but we can, if we've the choice, and any sense at all, plan to have quiet pistes and no lift queues. We skied all day yesterday in the sun, on empty pistes, not even the suggestion of a lift queue, on good (if hard) snow after two days of rain. When we stopped for coffee at 11 we were the only people in the caff - so they were jolly pleased to see us and lent me a screwdriver, with a smile! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, At least you're honest ... I dont want to believe them Toofy Grin

Tim Sawyer, I believe I can help there .... One day, some day and yester-day . It is very important that you dont miss any one of them. Given that this year is a Leap Year ( the answer is No. If you're daft enough to ask ME then you're obviously desperate Shocked)., then it is highly probablt that any snow on the 29th will be followed by 4 years of drought.

Oh, Oh ..... the valedictory muses have arrived. To the uninitiated/ innocent/sane ....pam w, and RachelQ, are both 'Sailors' .. they are the unter-culture , they hope everything melts so that they can attach their skirts to a ski-pole - steal a board - and waft off into the sunset ....

RachelQ, I can confidently predict that your March trip will be worth attending ... there will be snow ... in the event you choose to cancel , we 'promise' to send the other 'Flying Q' home safely Cool . Cancel the rest .. it will rain

pam w, <<Serious>> Yes , but you're in a French-place ... I bet if you were somewhere the Brits could spell/pronounce, the profile would be different <<end>>
snow conditions
Agenterre,

Thank you for confirming Ive got one good day in the 14!. Cant avoid the old school hols due to having kids and the governments insistence that they know best and skiings not part of the curriculum well unless I pay for the teachers to go as well!.
ski holidays
cmyers_uk, Dump the kids ... find an attractive teacher wink Take Her out-of-skool ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
cmyers_uk wrote:
... and skiings not part of the curriculum ...

au contraire, skiing is an optional part of at least two GCSE curricula. Just ask Ray Zorro.
snow report
Quote:
I bet if you were somewhere the Brits could spell/pronounce, the profile would be different

yes, you're probably right! It's nice that here, Brits are sufficiently rare to be welcomed. It's actually moderately difficult to do a DIY holiday here without speaking any French; one lot of friends who borrowed our apartment completely failed to make a dinner booking in the restaurant over the road, where they speak not one single word of English! A bit pathetic, if you ask me - they only had to draw 4 stick men and write "7.30?" but anyway, they failed!
We met one of the rare English visiting families in a café this morning (yes, they could speak French). They had taken their kids out of school, too.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Have to say that I think regular snowHeads will have a far longer season than typical holiday-makers, and that's ignoring those snowHeads who are based permanently in resort.

Yes there are a few naysayers and thin-carpet-phobes, but surely one of the biggest impacts the forum has on people is to extend the season to at least five months?

that's so true!

last year we had some great skiing on may bank holiday weekend and i wouldnt have done that before finding snowHead s

also although conditions werent perfect i've thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 PSBs Very Happy
latest report
From what I've heard Andorra isn't sharing the same fortune as the alps. That snow conditions are terrible.

But yes the alps are in fine condition.
snow conditions
Quote:

the alps are in fine condition
not too fine below about 1300m now. Need some new snow, but fortunately some is forecast.
latest report
'Rock On Tommy' .... another day of magic ( down to 1100m) Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy