Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

forget shaped carver: NEW VIDEO from Rax

Poster: A snowHead
Teleferic on Mt.Rax started the new season Dec 1st
and so did we

http://youtube.com/v/yir11kaR_Uw
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That has got to hurt your thighs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tom from Austria,
Check your PM Box, today is no go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton wrote:
That has got to hurt your thighs.

What do you mean: jumps, turns or what ?
Hurting or just getting tired ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tom from Austria wrote:
What do you mean: jumps, turns or what ?
Hurting or just getting tired ?

The way that guy is sitting back and hanging off the tails of the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst it's great to see people trying new ideas, it doesn't look any easier to ski than a modern all mountain fat ski IMHO. In fact, as Phillip suggests, sitting back "on the toilet" has to be more tiring.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I still really can't see the advantage. With the soon-to-be-forgotten fat powder skis you could get a load more projection on those drops with no fear of sketchy tip-burying landings, carry more speed across the ridge by the lift tower and basically hit the lot with more comfort, more float, more consitent speed and equal, if not greater control. What gives?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton wrote:

The rider is not sitting back. It's like windsurfing, Phillip.
Of course you must raise the bow (the ski tips) on waves (bumps),
but you need no special effort to keep in this postion.
The physics of ski movement takes care of your body, there is no "hanging off the tails",
no hurting your thighs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom from Austria wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:

The physics of ski movement takes care of your body, there is no "hanging off the tails",
no hurting your thighs.

It's nothing like windsurfing! With windsurfing your weight is taken up either through your harness onto the boom, or through your hands onto the boom! What is taking the weight on that video - your thighs!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:

Tom: The rider is not sitting back...The physics of ski movement takes care of your body, there is no "hanging off the tails",no hurting your thighs.
kitenski: It's nothing like windsurfing! With windsurfing your weight is taken up either through your harness onto the boom, or through your hands onto the boom! What is taking the weight on that video?

Your feet!!
Imagine a slope of 40° and the rider leaning back by the angle of 40°.
The centre of his gravity lies just above his feet.

Though we masked out air resistance, the moment of torque your ankle joint has to transmit to ski
is much higher if your body is perpendicular to slope,
than if you would be leaning back.

True is that there was no constant stress on ankles of our Rax rider.
At least he looks like enjoying the downhill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unusual sound.

Not sure if it is the skis scraping against something or noise from elsewhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You should also hold up the ski base for inspection like they do at the end of World Cup races.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom from Austria - I think we're best off agreeing to disagree on the mechanics of what that skier is doing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom from Austria, better video, at least he/you looks in control and is having fun . It just looks ugly though doesn't it? And as for the bit where he jumps and tucks his feet under his butt - he looks at risk of removing his own haemorrhoids...

Look forward to a review from an independent skier that these have anything to offer over skis/board/mono
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton, Looks more like water skiing that windsurfing to me...
snow report
Tom from Austria, what on earth was that? I've seen people that have only been skiing for two weeks in more control than that.

I just don't understand what the point of these things? They can't be faster, smoother, offer more control or be more versatile than normal skis, so what gives?
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Tom from Austria,
1) what on earth was that? I've seen people that have only been skiing for two weeks in more control than that.

2) I just don't understand what the point of these things? They can't be faster, smoother, offer more control or be more versatile than normal skis, so what gives?

1) You're joking. He was better than most adult freeriders when he was 12, riding firngleiter without fins.
He can afford looking out of control, though he just learned that Rax ski 1 hour ago.

2) They can.
snow conditions
If that's the future of skiing, I'm taking up snowboarding.

Or knitting or something cool like that.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton wrote:
Tom from Austria - I think we're best off agreeing to disagree on the mechanics of what that skier is doing.

As you may know I got a degree in physics. This does not imply inventing Rax ski based on complex equations, but afterwards I could better understand what was just happening.
So I am serious when talking about the mechanics of ski movement.
In fact the only topics where I am very serious. The rest is folklore.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 7-12-07 19:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
horizon, me 2, Bridge sounds like an appealing game...
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/EyxXCbp5JlY

Tom - if you are serious maybe use the guys advertised at the end of this video as they make a good promotional video.

Good luck with your invention but one thing that is definately true, it doesnt look pretty in terms of model or performance. Don't forget alot of success in skiing is down to it being both functional but also damn cool.

What are the purposes of these ski's? As if it is to piste ski then there is already carvers, if it is to powder ski there are already fatties, if it is to GS or Downhill then they can't arc enugh or are not stable, if it is to take ridiculously steep fall lines then I would trust the equipment that the craziest mo-fo's already use on these 1st descent style rides and anyway it obviously isn't as within a second you would be roly polying down the cliff to your death.

From your vid it seems the use of these potentially is tree line powder skiing where quick turns are useful, but are these really any improvement over what is currently used. On top of this even if it is this is a small part of global skiing, actually you'd probably be better plugging in Canada.
snow conditions
It's a snowblader with poles. The uncoolest of the uncool.
snow report
Tom from Austria, This does look like the skier is in the back seat with all the strain on the thighs. I'm sorry but it doesn't look very graceful. Sad

snowHead
snow report
gold whitesmith, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

snowHead
snow conditions
gold whitesmith, welcome to snowHeads. Always nice to see new posters here... wink
snow report
Tom from Austria wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:

no hurting your thighs.

Interesting, but doesn't look very stylish.
latest report
I love this dude. He just cracks me up. Next time I want to have a miserable time on a mountain I'm going to look him up and insist on borrowing his 'skis'.
latest report
not very stylish - but they do seem to give good control down something that looks a bit tricky (well at least to me).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo wrote:
I love this dude. He just cracks me up. Next time I want to have a miserable time on a mountain I'm going to look him up and insist on borrowing his 'skis'.

Careful mate, your new skis are designed to keep your weight forward, you'll just confuse the situation Little Angel
ski holidays
kiwi1, Very Happy
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:

1) What are the purposes of these ski's? As if it is to piste ski then there is already carvers, if it is to powder ski there are already fatties, if it is to GS or Downhill then they can't arc enugh or are not stable,...
2) From your vid it seems the use of these potentially is tree line powder skiing where quick turns are useful.

1) All of those listed, plectrum. But you may prefer various models for each specific condition.
So it is a pleasure riding a world cup slalom slope on the new Generation 2008 Glacier (to be announced Mid Jan).
You are not as fast as profis would be but you are faster than all skiers around you and very safe with your
fins. For kickers on a downhill piste you would probably prefer a longer Rax. ETC....

2) Yes, the vid was taken in trees. If we publish the next vid from steep corn snow, you will say that Rax can potentially
be used on corn snow only.
ski holidays
zammo wrote:

Just try to meet us somewhere in Alps or US, ammo !
Timetable to be published in this thread, starting Dec 14-16 in Arlberg.
ski holidays
davejsy wrote:
not very stylish - but they do seem to give good control down something that looks a bit tricky (well at least to me).

Style, davejsy. is still to be developed. Rax skis turn easily in any circumstance,
so excellent skiers will have a wide field to establish new trends and fashions.

The vid shows a spontaneous skiing. The young skier has spent one hour on Rax ski
when we started the recording. But he was excellent rider on short skis (firngleiter)
at the age of 10-14.
snow report
Tom from Austria wrote:
You are not as fast as profis would be but you are faster than all skiers around you and very safe with your

Ok, let's see some proof, Rax vs a slalom ski over one of the free timed runs in a ski resort....

regards,

Greg
latest report
The new video is better than the first one.

But in my opinion you are still peddling a load of old tat.

people want to have fun, AND look good when they are skiing.

This looks stupid, so it wont catch on , simple as that.

sorry but thats just my opinion.
snow report
Tom from Austria wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:

As you may know I got a degree in physics...So I am serious...

Nice to hear that you're serious about something.

It doesn't change the what I see on the video. I've no doubt that bloke is a good skier. You'd have to be.

If you have to "get your degree out" to convince a fellow snowsports fan then I'd be worried.

You should always be careful about trying to out-qualify someone. wink
snow conditions
Tom from Austria, you might have a degree in physics-how about going to night school for one in design?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Tell you what though, the guy in the vid is doing bloody well to stay in as much control as he is. Bet he's pretty good on proper skis.
snow report
brian, fair point
snow report
Tom from Austria, can you send some to me in Verbier please? Or can I just make my own?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy