Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I run my holiday by you please? 7 nights in Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I've been away for a while but asked about a holiday before (thanks for the discount and offer of help, ctskifam, but we have decided to do something else, if you'd like to know the reasons don't hesitate to email me Happy) and received such wonderful help and advice here so now I am again on the verge of booking something, and thought I'd check here!

We are planning to book a chalet called La Murette in Les Gets, this is what the operator (skichalets.nl) says about the location:

Chalet La Murette is ideally located in one of the most popular areas of Les Gets, en-route to the Chavannes ski area within 150 m from a path to the piste. You can ski to within 75 metres of the chalet via an unpisted track and from your chalet, either walking to the nearest Les Folliets ski lift (some 300 metres uphill).

We are looking at 29th of March for 7 nights, would have liked to go earlier but this is all that was available and a good deal. Our group is 6 adults of mixed ability, 2 4 year olds, a 3 year old and a baby.

What do you think? I'm slightly anxious about the location (it looks steep?) and whether we will have snow that late in March. If not, is there somewhere to divert to? Any tips or pitfalls? Has anyone been on holiday with this tour operator? I can't find any reviews on them....

Thanks for any advice!

Mirjam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
29 March is quite late for Les Gets. I'd choose a higher ski area.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mirjam, 300 metres might not sound much but uphill and in ski boots, you could be wishing you'd chosen somewhere else. I agree with DG, Les Gets is quite low and prone to get rain rather than snow especially late inb the season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there Davids. Happy but EEEEEEEEK! I was SO chuffed with this holiday....! There is a ski bus that stops in front of the chalet but doesn't run after 7pm, but that should suit our needs. Do you really think we could have no snow or RAIN? Just hypothetically, what would one do in that situ? Is there somewhere higher up in the PdS you could take a lift to from Les Gets?

Mirjam
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mirjam, the high skiing is Avoriaz, so I'd stay there if you want to be in that ski area and if you want snow in the village.

Alternatively, with children of that age, maybe check out Arc 1600 (or numerous other resorts at or above that alitude). It has a great ski school and ski kindergarten for young ones, based at the Hotel Cachette (unless things have changed). You'd most likely be offered apartments, but I think there are chalets there too.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Mirjam, I'd be surprised if the main Les Gets bowl wasn't still skiable then, but it is fairly low so you could be looking at a bit of a slush fest ... and it can rain rather than snow at any time in the season, with obviously a bigger risk the later you go. The high skiing in the PdS is the sector between Avoriaz and Switzerland but that's a fair old journey from Les Gets (you have to cross to the other side of Morzine).

If you give us a few criteria (airport, transfer time, type of skiing, resort character etc.) I'm sure the snowHead massive can sort you out.

I'm assuming Traxvax must be full that week ? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mirjam, A long while ago, before snow making wink We stayed in Les Gets and there was no snow in March. Each day we had to drive up to Avoriaz Sad We were very lucky in that we had our own cars, there were stories of tour operators charging 50 francs a day for the trip up to Avoriaz. BUT I cannot emphasise enough this was a long time ago, Les Gets now has extensive snowmaking I believe?

As others have said 300 metres is a long way in ski boots and a lot further if you are only 4 Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mirjam, we go to Les Gets a lot. Have been there several times late March and have always managed to ski though have always packed our walking boots just in case! Last season we were incredibly lucky and had three fantastic days skiing in 2nd week of April. Not all the runs were open but it was fine up on the Chavannes and in the bowl, getting back to the village was a challenge (but possible) at the end of the day. It is a fairly easy drive to Avoriaz if you have a car.
If I had a choice and it was my only skiing holiday I would book something higher rather than take the risk.
Les Foillets chair takes you to Morzine side and probably less skiable if snow was sparse (certainly more stoney!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right well in that case the holiday is off! I will repost and see if the snowhead posse can help, I hardly dare ask but who knows!

Thanks everyone,

Mirjam
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy