Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather in Whistler- not the normal is the snow any good.

Poster: A snowHead
Not the normal 'what's the snow like there' post, but rather, what is the weather like generally there compared to the french alps?

I know we can expect it to be colder, but the whole of my previous skiing career has been in the french alps and i've always been lucky to have blue skies with a big dump mid week, so maybe 2 days with cloud, snow and flat light.

Non snowhead friends who have skied in north america have commented that you don't tend to get the blue skies like you do in the alps, and that most days are overcast. So i thought i'd ask the consensus of the Snowheads to get an overall review of how much it tends to snow, how cloudy its often is and whether the light is poor.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If blue skies are your highest priority don't go to Whistler!! rolling eyes snowHead
The trouble with blue skies is that no snow falls out of them, therefore if you want to go to a place with lots of snow then you may have to accept the odd cloud- in Whistler it snows a lot. Fortunately unlike some of the alpine moonscapes, a large part and some of the best of the skiing at Whistler/blackcomb is below the tree line, therefore you can always ski in the trees or on tree lined runs for definition. Alternatively accept that you can't see that much, enjoy the pow, use the force (and your feel for the snow), and be a better skier wink
Due to its coastal location it is generally not all that cold either. If you really want to see blue skies at Whistler (in the winter!) February is probably your best bet as I reckon on balance that is when I've seen least cloudy days, though personally I'd go in January when it is quieter and colder, or March when you get a lot of snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its been booked for a while, and we are going in feb, so blue skies may be a possibility Smile

Personally, i'm not bothered if it is cloudy, but my wife to be has been spoilt by the weather in the french alps over the last few years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went in march last year and didn't get much snow, just rain. And vis was always bad. not impressed. Confused Just luck of the draw i suppose.
Now fernie on the other hand..... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my wife, who until recently had done all her skiing at Whistler, was amazed when she saw a photo from a French resort with deck chairs and people out sunbathing. a totally foreign concept for her!

i'd concur with stuarth though - you get used to the bad visibility and it makes you a better skier
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First time in whistler we went in March - rained every day for two weeks in the resort. Imagine getting wet walking through the 'village ' then sitting on a wet chairlift, passing through fereezing point half way up the mountain where said wetness freezes. Not worth skiing back to the base until the end of the day due to wet snow and rain. Vis was rubbish too on mountain the only time we had blue sky was when we did Fresh Tracks and it had clouded over by 10 am followed by the usual rain Sad

Went back last season in January and conditions were much better if a little cooler, blue skys and fresh powder Smile Just hope you are going nearer the beginning of Feb wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i went end of jan last year we had 7 out of 9 days as sunny and only around freezing temps. downside of this was no new snow and an icy crust. i guess you just cant win either way!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had one clear day whilst I was there in December (luckily I had my camera that day). The positive of that was, of course, that it was dumping shedloads the rest of the time.

Similar last year (but even bigger sheds).

It's not much colder than the Alps because of its coastal location. But that of course brings the clouds too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:

Imagine getting wet walking through the 'village ' then sitting on a wet chairlift,

That's when it pays to go up in the gondola. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lower wrote:
Non snowhead friends who have skied in north america have commented that you don't tend to get the blue skies like you do in the alps, and that most days are overcast.

That's a bit of an over-generalisation for a continent that is larger than Europe; sort of like saying the weather is the same in Greece as it is in Scotland!
But yes, it has been known to rain in Whistler Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Martin Bell, never been to greece but cant believe the weather is different to Scotland. You will be saying next its been known to rain in Scotland as well. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, or Merlins or the GLC
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
garywilk, Laughing you have to do at least a few runs before you can call it beer o'clock. After all it will be snowing on the mountain and it would be a shame to miss all the good stuff up there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee wrote:
garywilk, Laughing you have to do at least a few runs before you can call it beer o'clock. After all it will be snowing on the mountain and it would be a shame to miss all the good stuff up there.

Except the last day we were there - snowing in the village and raining up the mountain - now has does that work!! Confused rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, OK I give in. On days like those the GLC is infinitely a better place to be. Luckily it's not that often, eh? By the way, I heard a vicious rumour that you've given up skiing now so what are you doing on here? Puzzled Razz
snow report
geetee, But it doesnt go to the top of Blackcomb wink
latest report
Bones, so ski Whistler rolling eyes
snow report
I haven't been to Europe, but Whistler in general is overcast / cloudy. We don't get that many bluebird days, but we do get a lot of snow, and this year is looking like another great season. Temps are normally warm by a ski resort standard, rarely is it colder than -10 and normally it hovers around the -3 to -5 Celsius. You mentioned you are coming in Feb, the only thing I can guarantee you, is that we will have a nice base by then. Feb is normally a colder, clearer and less snow month. so it is probably your best bet for bluebird days.
snow conditions
wbsr, we've had plenty of sunny days in April too - 3 seasons ago we were practically in t-shirts and shorts and sunbathing outside Dusty's. Of course the ski-out had gone but there was plenty of skiing up on the mountain.
latest report
wbsr wrote:
I haven't been to Europe, but Whistler in general is overcast / cloudy. We don't get that many bluebird days, but we do get a lot of snow, and this year is looking like another great season. Temps are normally warm by a ski resort standard, rarely is it colder than -10 and normally it hovers around the -3 to -5 Celsius. You mentioned you are coming in Feb, the only thing I can guarantee you, is that we will have a nice base by then. Feb is normally a colder, clearer and less snow month. so it is probably your best bet for bluebird days.

Thanks WBSR, just what i need to reassure my fiance with.
ski holidays
lower, Better off in Colorado, Tahoe area or Utah if you want powder and bluebird days Very Happy In Tahoe in Feb( couple of years ago ) we had around 4- 6 inches minimium of powder each night followed by blue skies each day for two weeks - Fresh tracks sitting outside restaurants in t shirts and skiing back to mountain bases in Feb. Colorado had virtually the same thing tho not fresh snow every night in March, sunshine a good snow and able to ski back to resort level.

Depends what you want out of the trip, Whistlers a good place but probably wont tick all boxes and does tend to get crowded at peak times with bottlenecks at some lifts Shocked
ski holidays
geetee wrote:
By the way, I heard a vicious rumour that you've given up skiing...

That's what I heard too!! wink
snow report
lower wrote:
wbsr wrote:

Thanks WBSR, just what i need to reassure my fiance with.

If your sheila likes sun, then she will be disappointed.

I would say a typical 6-day week in the French Alps during Feb involves:

67% sun
33% cloud and snow

For Whistler in Feb, you should expect:

67% cloud, snow and rain
33% sun

Be prepared for an earbashing.
snow report
Its all booked and has been for some time, so no option for changing anyway (its out honeymoon).

Some friends have told her it just snows all the time and is -30 on most days, so what people have posted on here is actually positive Smile
latest report
Illicit, thats how it rolls.

it is throwing down with powder (54cm today) mid mountain!
Fernie rained all 5 days i was there to the top, so i guess it is the luck of the draw
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy