Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Southampton to Gatwick

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying my first ever SCGB holiday next month (er hem, is this allowed to be broadcast here? Embarassed ). Leaving 8amish on 12 Dec from Gatwick for Tignes (via Geneva).

I have no car. Crying or Very sad And just discovered the appalling public transport between SOTON & Gatwick airport (the cost of taxis/hire cars just about killed me - it's more expensive getting to the flight than the flight itself costs! Shocked Flying to Edinburgh takes less time than travelling by bus to Gatwick, trains don't run at the necessary hour, and I don't fancy hoteling, or dossing in the terminal). Fussy, no?

I'm hoping to cage a lift from anyone who is also travelling up from deepest darkest Hampshire/Devon to catch a Gatwick flight on Sunday 12 Dec 04 for a god-awful early departure - needs to be someone intending to arrive at Gatwick by 6am at latest. Happy to contribute to petrol costs.

Fancy my chances? Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can you get to brighton by bus or train? if so there is a very good jet link service up to the airport that runs pretty much 24hrs a day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trains to Gatwick from Victoria run at very shortintervals - but I expect you know that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep snowball, all permutations of mass public transit down these parts have been investigated and found outrageously wanting. Had also hoped that carpooling would help keep my spending down before the mandatory xmas spending spree.

Hence the plaintive pleading.

But if carpooling fails I shall compel myself to bite the bullet & rent a car or book a taxi, arriving relaxed and awake in time for the dreaded fiasco that passes for check-in/security at Gatwick. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda, what's your cheapest taxi quote?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What I've done before (last year no less) is go up by train the night before (via Clapham Junction) then kip down in Gatwick for a few hours before check-in at 6am. You haven't said what time your check-in is, but I suspect it's too early for same day trains.

Getting home is usually no problem as it's afternoon/evening trains.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stephen bleakley, £80 each way.
Pete Horn, a fellow Hamshire-ite! Kipping at terminal is the usual budget option, but I'm too old and fussy for that nowadays. My lot would be easier if I weren't!! Plane's supposed to lift off 8am, so 6am checkin I guess.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, i used a pompey taxi company in June who charged 100 return from Soton - tel no 92269966.

Still expensive but there's no way I would want to spend any more time at Gatwick as is necessary.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stephen bleakley, Yup, I thoroughly agree - the less time at Gatwick the better (sadly neither Southampton or Bournemouth airports on offer with this deal). The pompey taxi is best deal yet!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, that's a good price. A 440 mile total round trip, taking the best part of 8 hours for the taxi driver - £100 is an exceptional rate. Petrol costs alone would be best part of £60 (based on 30 mpg), leaving the driver on £5 hr and no inclusion for any depreciation or wear and tear of the car.

Is this price still cheaper than going by train and stopping overnight ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, where do you get 440 miles from? - Southampton to Gatwick is 90 miles.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Manda, Stupid question but what about a hire car, pick one up at Southampton airport the night before and drop it off at Gatwick ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, but the taxi driver is coming from Portsmouth. Portsmouth to Southampton to Gatwick is more like 110 miles. He then has to back home, and then do the complete journey again a week later. Or am I missing something?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, now I understand. Yes you are right.
But don't forget that the taxi company will probably try to get a job in the opposite direction to yours.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Portsmouth taxi rates are hugely cheaper than Southampton's. It probably is cheaper to get a Pompey taxi even though it has to come the 25 miles to Southampton first.
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Yes, but the taxi driver is coming from Portsmouth. Portsmouth to Southampton to Gatwick is more like 110 miles. He then has to back home, and then do the complete journey again a week later. Or am I missing something?

The actual trip of course is Pompey -> Soton -> Gatwick -> Pompey, so the actual trip is about 180 (x2). But as Bleaks says they'll most likely have a passenger going the other way on both occasions.

Moosepig is right about the difference between Pompey taxis and Soton taxis. Southampton taxis are the only taxis in the world where the driver runs a credit check on you before he takes you anywhere. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Manda, sent you a PM
latest report
Lager, moosepig, Yeah my Soton workmate also prefers Pompey taxis because they routinely charge less than those based in Soton. The longer I live here, the less I'm surprised by this.

Bus/train & staying in hotel overnight is doable at about £80 return, but I'd rather sleep in my own bed and have the time at home than spend what amounts to an extra night on the road.

Car hire would work - £40ish each way with National Hire. Thought I'd save the world from global warming and try carpooling first.

Told you I was fussy.
snow report
Dan, Thanks, saw that and have been lazy - can't find a reply function either....

Strangely it's easier to get to Gatwick from here than Brighton.... go figure.
ski holidays
Manda, saw an ad in the Soton Advertiser last w/e - a company offering a return trip to Gatwick for 90 quid - 80458890.
ski holidays
Manda, just press the "post reply" button............it's not so obvious, but doesn't post it to the main forum, just to me.

I just looked for the "JetLink" and couldn't find it, apparently it has been replaced by a National Express Service which is a lot cheaper and runs a lot more frequently!! Very Happy

Gatwick from Brighton -> www.nationalexpress.com £9 return Very Happy i did notice that to get to heathrow is quite quick but then you have to wait for a connection to go down to Gatwick????
latest report
stephen bleakley, oooooOOOOOOOOOOO! Will definately ring that number.

Dan, yep. Annoyingly public transport to/from London is good (when it works), but travelling east-west across the land south of London, however, is a complete nightmare. I envy your strategic location. Was it deliberate?
ski holidays
Originally a midlander, then came to Sussex Uni..........stayed since!

We fly out of Gatwick at 8am so will be going up on the bus for £9 return. Are you on the BA flight?
ski holidays
Dan,

That's where did my degree!

(Applied Science & Operational Research with Professor Rivett, EAPS 1972 Brilliant man)

When were you there (or are you still there?)
snow conditions
I did Biochemistry, left in 1997. Had a great time, mostly spent in Falmer Bar!!

I don't know why but just never moved away, i work away from Brighton most of the time and when i'm there i hardly spend any time in the town (-mostly spend it at the hockey club Wink ). Hopefully i will spend more time when i change career in the new year. Just about to move house (x-fingers) to Hollingbury on top of the hill, looking out towards the sea Very Happy I do love still going down to the seafront on a stormy day & almost being blown away Toofy Grin
latest report
Nah didn't use the Falmer bar much,
Students union bar up in Essex House cheaper, playing table football, chasing the Girls and carrying out the prerequisite behavior for a hangover.

Still didn't seem to do me much harm though!
ski holidays
Dan, God knows. Was advised by phone that the flight leaves 7.55am but have yet to receive tickets. Will no doubt pass by you at some point between checkin and departure - Please be wearing a suitable sandwich board and silly identifying hat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy