Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort for a family

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to a wedding in England in mid-March on American Airline frequent flyer miles and can add a layover to another major European city for free. We're considering going skiing and wondering what area would be best for us. We've never skied in Europe before so any help would be appreciated.

There are 4 of us (me, my wife, my almost 7 year old son and 4.5 year old daughter). I like sking mostly black and double black runs at major North American western resorts. My wife is an intermediate skier who likes mostly groomed blue/double blue runs and is starting to explore very mild off piste terrain. My son is a lower intermediate able to ski just about all blue terrain including moguls. My daughter is a beginner and skis mostly all green terrain.

It's very important for my kids and wife to have a good time skiing so I'm willing to sacrifice advanced terrain for a family friendly ski area with good ski schools. We don't need nightlife, apres ski or anything fancy. We'd probably rather go to a less well know area that is still relatively easy to get to (1 tranfer of a few hours, preferably train) from a major city and perhaps a bit more affordable. Is there a ski area in Europe which can best provide what we're looking for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prosper, Hello and welcome to snowHead

You will I'm sure receive a lot of suggestions which meet your requirements. To help narrow requirements it would probably be easier if your choice of city was known. For example if it was Geneva there are many small resorts close by

I'm not so sure about access by train, but personally I would recommend Vallandry as part of the Les Arcs resort in France. For you it has easy access to a large and varied ski area amd for your family there are some very nice and quiet blues above Vallandry.

The resort itself is very family friendly with a few bars and little else

There are also several English speaking ski schools in the area.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Prosper, you have to be looking Geneva or Zurich as the European city to go to. Both have good connections via train or road and there are lots of resorts within an hour. You could look at Chamonix, Flaine, La Clusaz or the Portes de Soliel area (PDS) in France from Geneva or the more traditional Swiss resorts like Wengen from Zurich. Les Arcs is just too far away from Geneva it's at least a 2 1/2 hrs transfer for a family friendly resort given the short transfer my choice would be La Clusaz or Contamines or the PDS area, specifically somewhere like Chatel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
An alternative would be Salzburg and then one of the huge number of resorts within 90 minutes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prosper, sounds like Puy Saint Vincent would be perfect. Not sure about getting there by public transport but you can get a package with snowbizz

They have a great skischool for the kids and the area is very compact so it is easy to zip off and grab some more exciting skiing when you get a chance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nessy, seconded by me but Prosper, will be sacrificing advanced terrain for the kids
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prosper, welcome to Snowheads, and to skiing in Europe. I don't think you've yet got the ideal recommendation. Firstly, at that time of year I wouldn't recommend France (for all that I ski in France) because it is a very busy time - French school holidays for a number of regions. Austria might be better, and also more traditional "chocolate box" Alpine territory. If you can fly to Salzburg, the Ski Amade region gives you a lot of scope, and the city of Salzburg itself is well worth some time (especially if you like Mozart-everything!). For your planning, be aware that it's easier to find a choice of accommodation if you fly into your airport on a Saturday; European resorts are not so flexible about other periods than Sat/Sat or sometimes Sun/Sun accommodation. I'm sure people with more expert knowledge of the Austrian and Swiss resorts will be along soon with more detailed suggestions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy