Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Mutix - 2 skis in one? or just a marketing scam?

Poster: A snowHead
Hot topic of conversation at the weekend was the launch of Rossi's revolutionary Mutix skis.

The principle is that you can customise the perceived turn radius by altering the skis' flex. You do this using interchangeable arms - long means a GS like turn and short being slalom.

The arms connect to just in front of and behind the the binding mounting.

A chum has skied them and was very impressed - although he's not sure how many he'll sell as they are going up at about a €200 premium to the 9X/9S.

I'm doubtful. I can't see myself carrying the kit to so a channgeover on the mountain and not sure whether I'd ever bother.

Comments?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, skis well, but a bit of marketing IMO, although in saying that it will probably be bought by trainee instructors who will then ask their trainer if they will be doing long turns or short turns tomorrow so they can decide which arms to put on Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back in the early 1990s, I had a pair of the asymmetric Dynastar skis (one set of "soft" edges, swap them over to get the alternative set of "hard" edges) and I couldn’t be bothered changing the skis over then and I'm sure I wouldn't go though the customising job I've see in the Rossignol video – it's not a mid-run type modification.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtr, that was the fusion - nice ski, but everyone I knew who had them couldn't really tel any difference between the edges! I'm looking forward to trying the Mutix at the bash, but I shouldn't think I'll buy a pair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jtr, I'm not entirely sure who would notice the difference.

I kind of have come round to the same conclusions. A bit like the ESS v.a.r. bindings that felt like snappier or cruisier skis depending on how far forwards the bindings were. A neat proof of concept but no-one I knew who used them ever adjusted their position.

Oh well...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:

I kind of have come round to the same conclusions. A bit like the ESS v.a.r. bindings that felt like snappier or cruisier skis depending on how far forwards the bindings were. A neat proof of concept but no-one I knew who used them ever adjusted their position.

Oh well...

moving the binding position makes a huge difference.

I even moved my marker bindings on the plate for my GS skis about a month ago, and the difference was mind blowing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhothersall wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

Oh well...

moving the binding position makes a huge difference.

I even moved my marker bindings on the plate for my GS skis about a month ago, and the difference was mind blowing.

I'm sure it does but I wouldn't stop mid-way through a run to make a change to suit the prevailing conditions.

... as for the Dynastar Fusions, I liked the ski but couldn't tell the difference between the hard and soft edges but in any event I wasn't going to go through the rigmarole of changing over every time I hit a bit of ice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW, David Murdoch, I still use that adjustment setting on my Atomics. It's a bit sticky on the hill, but came in mighty useful when I succumbed to peer pressure and went looking for moguls.

Dynastar Fusions: the three of us that had them pretty much settled on having > as the outside edge and ( inside.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I recall testing an Elan ski with adjustable sidecut and turn radius in the late 1980s. Each ski had a central split in the tail, with the left and right sides of each ski linked by a block which contained a screw mechanism that you could adjust with an allen key. The tail could be splayed or narrowed.

It worked!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, fair enough. I will admit I only tried them on a few pairs without owning them to get "properly" used to them.

paulhothersall, OK, fair point, it makes a difference but I didn't find it enough of one to bother with - maybe I should have expressed myself better. Maybe what I meant was something like not knowing quite whether it was making a real difference rather than simply a perception. Although the skis felt different, I didn't notice them making a major difference in performance.

Did you move them (on your GS skis) forwards or back, and what did you notice??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Abominable snowHead, the SCX prototypes, EXCELLENT! Now if we can only find someone who's skied Olin's Albert.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dynastar fusions......... my first pair of skis.......
IIRC, the " < " edge was factory set to 88degrees, and the " ( " to the more standard 90degrees.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thing to break...which doesn't get my vote... Sounds very gimmicky. It would be easier to have left and right ski
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, Hot topic of conversation at the weekend was the launch of Rossi's revolutionary Mutix skis.

Davey, Davey. Don't be a fish, spit out the worm of marketting, stick with the real thing. You'll be seen skiing on 'Pilot' next.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, but they're such a nice colour!
latest report
My initial experiences with the skis are on this thread, towards the end of the page:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14272&start=40
latest report
veeeight, interesting.

My chum reckoned they were pretty good too, although admitted that for most people, to a point, he only stocks more than one brand/model so that they have some choice on colours... I.e. it's difficult to find a bad ski these days.

Did you notice the claimed difference when switching "arms"? Did you also try with long on front, short on back & vice versa? Even better, did you mix them up front and back?

Ah the possibilities are nearly endless...
snow conditions
Lol!

No I just tried them with the long arms, and the short arms, complete change.

No mix and match!

And yes, short radius turns were better with the appropriate arms.

But IMO those arms are asking to be broken off when skiing in trees...... The number of stumps I hit at high speed just doesn't bear thinking about.
snow report
veeeight, avoid trees, didn't your mammy tell you?
ski holidays
Lol!

I avoid the tress alright, it's those pesky stumps below the level of the snow thats the problem!
snow report
I just bougt a pair of the Mutix Radicals. It was a blind faith move as I had not demoed the ski before. I was offered a too good to be true deal and I jumped on it!
I have skied with short arms: awsome
Long arms: awsome but my legs were burning after only a few runs
Short in front, long in back: hated it! I kept on getting buked in the rear seat. The ski just felt funny!
But for an ex racer, advanced carver, gadget seeker... great ski!
I don't know about taking it in the woods though... kinda stiff no?
I am one of those guys who has a pair of skis for every condition:
Rossi BC: for the glades, park and pow
Rossi 9X oversize: for the big cruisers
Rossi Mutix: for the groomers and anything that eastern on piste skiing can throw at you. Including ice that you can see your reflection in... West coast riders just dont understand this!
Rossi Pow Air: Those of you who have seen these have probably laughed at them, they have a plastic plate instead of the edge under the foot. Don't ever take these skis on the ice! I use them when the coveraged is too thin during end of year spring skiing. I bought these skis for a round of beer at the Owl's Head bar! I really dont care if I scratch them but it is nice to have this kinda ski in your arsenal!
Rossi 164 fat snowboard: Cause in the deep pow... nothing beats a board!

My girlfriend constantly critisizes the corner where I keep all my equipment but hey, if she doenst like it... the door is just on the other side of the room!!!

Winter Rules!!
snow conditions
ETF, welcome to snowHeads, are you mostly at Owl's Head?
latest report
No I ski all over, I have a pass at Bromont for nights, and I go all over the ET on the weekend. I also love Jay!
ski holidays
EasternTownshipsFan, welcome to sH. Are you sponsored by Rossi or something? Shocked
ski holidays
mark_s, as soon as he said where he skied, it was either Rossi or Dynastar. It's just one of those things: in L'Estrie Volkl, Salomon, Elan, Atomic are for tourists.
latest report
I had a pair of Volkl but I got stinged with a guarantee issue. I will never go back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy