Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does such a place exist?....

Poster: A snowHead
Ski in/out.

Wide open blues and reds for intermediate and slightly less confident 9 year old.

Close to lifts.

Beautiful town/ village.

Good quality pizzerias for very fussy pizza eater.

2 hour or less transfer.

Pretty much snow sure (as you can be).

Answers on a postcard............

Thanks(in anticipation)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe d Huze, had a quality pizzeria 15 years ago, its great for mixed ability parties arranged in a high valley where the lower down runs are easy and it gets more challenging the higher you go, unfortunately not a "Beautiful town" but not ugly either. All runs finish in the village.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Armitageblue, good luck in your quest.

The places that I have been to, have either fitted into "ski in/ski out" or "beautiful town/village" (or neither!). I'm sure there may be exceptions though.

What time of year are you thinking?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On a different (smaller) scale, Les Saisies ticks just about all the boxes. The village is not beautiful in the way that, say, Alpbach is beautiful, or Kitzbuhel impressive. But it's quite attractive, small, friendly, low-rise, lots of wooden chalets, very French. 1650m. Le Hameau du Beaufortain (Erna low) is a new MGM place above the village, ski in/out, has its own pool. Le Village de Lapons, in the middle of the village, and older, is on similar lines and very near the piste. Less than 2 hours from Geneva, very good snow record. Very gentle skiing, with more challenging reds in the lift-linked areas of Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, that was quick guys. Many thanks.

I am thinking of going 19th Jan 08.

I'm pretty confident albeit with a poor technique and my son has a better technique but was frightened by a very long red run last year in Vaujany(on the first day) and it may take me a while to build up his confidence again!

Thanks pam w, willread up on Les Saises.

Anymore for anymore? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Armitageblue, the website lessaisies.com plays their own special song, to an old French folk tune, about ".
"the gentle slopes my mummy takes me to". Not exactly street cred for 17 year olds, but for a scared 9 year old, absolutely ideal. No group lessons in English, but private lessons are cheap. 19th January would be ideal - you'll find it very quiet on the slopes, no intimidating queues. In fact no queues at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel 1850.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold,
Curious idea of beauty.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serfaus, Austria. About an hour from Innsbruck airport, car-free village, high & snowsure, excellent piste grooming (well, it was when I was there) mainly cruisy reds & blues, fab kids terrain, don't remember whether or not it had pizzerias but I guess it must. Half the dosh of Courchevel. www.serfaus.at
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Courchevel 1850 is a superb resort, but to be ski in ski out there is likely to be expensive, impersonal, busy and full of Russians. It's big, too. That's an advantage in general terms, but for someone small and a little scared, a place they can find their way round after a couple of days and feel "at home" in is perhaps preferable. Further away from the main Saisies bowl there is plenty of gradually more challenging skiing, including a long red run down to Hauteluce, a genuinely beautiful and very ancient Alpine village. And a slopeside coffee or beer is half the price. Les Saisies is prettier than Courchevel 1850 though, of course, any place sure of snow is not going to be a pretty, genuine village, because historically people did not choose to live that high. I'm sure there are lots of great places in Austria, too, though maybe less likely to be ski in/out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Courchevel 1850 fails the sub-2 hr transfer test too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wengen - skiing as you describe - good snow record last couple of years. 2 good pizzerias.

Ski in but not out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Armitageblue, if you're looking for a TO package, there aren't any for Les Saisies AFAIK. That's why it's such a nice place. wink Not difficult to DIY though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think (only been ther for one day) Cervinia fits the bill ecept the "beautiful town/village".

la Thuile also similarly
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Armitageblue, Have a look at www.snowbizz.co.uk the resort is Puy Saint Vincent,not aesthetically beautiful but not ugly and the ski area is set in the beautiful Parc des ecrins area.It certainly ticks the box for all other family/teenager requirements and you will be made very welcome with Snowbizz. The dates you want would probably be available?and both my sons are 'connoisseurs' on the quality of pizzas/spagbol throughout the world so PSV comes highly reccomended with '10 Michelin stars'.

And more importantly just look at the latest webcams http://puy-saint-vincent.paysdesecrins.com/webcams-photos-du-jour-puy-st-vincent.aspx
snow report
Armitageblue,

Who is the fussy pizza eater? snowHead

Slightly longer transfer but Les Arcs. In particular Vallandry/1800 as the slopes around them are as wide as motorways. Not sure on the pizza place but find a days proper sking leaves one ravenous and fussy eaters learn to go hungry or eat quick Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Armitageblue, this is about your 9 year old, right?
Does he really care what the town/village looks like?
If you "ski out" you have to be half way up the mountain, and few places like that have much in the way of looks or charm.
And is it he, or you, or both that don't like long transfer coach rides to the resort?
If you forgot about the resort looks and let the transfer time creep up a bit it would be a lot easier to sort out the other aspects of your wish-list.

You want a place with easy access to good snow (Jan 19+), lots of wide open blues and reds, and perfect pizzas
You want Belle Plagne.

Great Pizza place. Lots of lovely flattering blues and reds (piste map). Ski right from your door.
snow conditions
Crikey guys, you are very helpful, just too much choice now!

Just to clear up/ answer a few points.....

Both of us would find more than 2 hours transfer a bit much.

The pizza guy is definitely my son James (although I'll eat just about anything) and he has been brought up on the authentic stuff, none of the San Marco for him.

As for looks well that is primarily me although I'm sure a little guy would be a bit intimidated by a concrete jungle.

Obviously was meaning ski in as jonpim as pointed out. But would like to be lazily close to lift.

Just to give you an idea of what I've experienced previously:

Morzine/Avoriaz 15 years ago, Bulgaria 10 years ago (can't recall resort, pretty horrid though), Vaujany and Ellmau last season. James has only done Vaujany and unfortunately there wasn't much snow and it was definitely not ski in!

My aim is to make the experience for him the best possible, I'm not too fussy other than transfer time. ( would stretch a further 1/2 hour if that helps)

Thanks all! Smile
latest report
Armitageblue,
When are you going?
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Armitageblue,
When are you going?

19/1/08. Smile
snow conditions
Armitageblue, I think Obertauern would fit your description

Wide open blues and reds for intermediate and slightly less confident 9 year old. Yes plenty and interesting too.

Close to lifts. Yes

Beautiful town/ village. Not bad considering it is purpose built (you'd never guess)

Good quality pizzerias for very fussy pizza eater. Hmmm, not sure on this, but I would be totally surprised if the resort failed on this.

2 hour or less transfer. 1 hour from Salzburg

Pretty much snow sure (as you can be). Almost guaranteed. Usual season is Nov-May
latest report
Armitageblue, said 'My aim is to make the experience for him the best possible' see www.snowbizz.co.uk. wink
snow report
Armitageblue, is it just the two of you? If so, a catered chalet with other families with children would presumably be much more sociable?
ski holidays
Forgot to say, he wants to ski with Dad.
snow report
Armitageblue,
Ah, you said so earlier I didn't notice.
With a nine year old near beginner I guess you need somewhere that you will find English speaking lessons so some of the pleasant places that are not well known like Les Saisies are maybe less suitable?
I like PSV as listed above a lot really family friendly place but I think the transfer is probably going to be 3 hours plus. Belle Plagne is less attractive and a bit big maybe for a child learner to really enjoy and has quite a long transfer.
My own suggestion would be Obertauern, lots of hotels near lifts, short transfer from Salzburg, pleasant but not beautiful village (purpose built but not horrendous) very good snow record. Decent English speaking ski school on our visit. A variety of runs, though not all easy.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Armitageblue, is it just the two of you? If so, a catered chalet with other families with children would presumably be much more sociable?

Yes it is just the two of us, so what you are suggesting may be a good idea.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro,
Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ Puzzled
Was composing mine as you sent yours.
ski holidays
Armitageblue, if you're wanting to get him back interested in the ski thing, then Wengen could be a good option. telford_mike, has vouched for the Pizza, the village and scenery are stunning and there are trains up the mountain. There is a nice long blue run down through the trees that has a fun nature quiz for kids to do on the way down, and some other nice slopes. Did I mention to your 9 yr old son that there are trains!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, PSV is definitely 2.5 hrs no more Smile Armitageblue, if you want to ski together its no problem and if you go with snowbizz it is a very sociable holiday in a nice sort of way snowHead for both parents and children.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, I have been to Wengen twice and have to admit it is probably my favourite resort ever ,certainly for the combination of scenery,charm etc etc everyone should go at least once Very Happy Armitageblue, would have to choose the accomadation carefully though from the convenience point of view.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Armitageblue, if you're wanting to get him back interested in the ski thing, then Wengen could be a good option. telford_mike, has vouched for the Pizza, the village and scenery are stunning and there are trains up the mountain. There is a nice long blue run down through the trees that has a fun nature quiz for kids to do on the way down, and some other nice slopes. Did I mention to your 9 yr old son that there are trains!!

Sorry if I gave the impression that J is not interested in skiing. He is. It's that he currently has a mental block with the jump from blue to red. I just visualize a few days cruising on blues then progressing to reds, I'm sure he could handle a black but there's no rush. We both love turning, we are a pair of posers really......... Laughing

The blue run through the trees in Wengen sounds good but my fear is he'd want to do it all the while!
snow conditions
Armitageblue, when we were there for the MSB last year, it was the most popular run among snowHeads.....even those who are really good skiers. There's loads of little jumps and bumps that you can do......and apple fritters at the restaurant at the bottom snowHead
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Armitageblue, when we were there for the MSB last year, it was the most popular run among snowHeads.....even those who are really good skiers. There's loads of little jumps and bumps that you can do......and apple fritters at the restaurant at the bottom snowHead

Oh well if there's fritters at the end of it......... sold! Very Happy

Thank you for your help and recommendation snowHead
ski holidays
Armitageblue, just the two of you? And you fancy some company for your son?
When mine were your age we went with Ski Esprit.
Courchevel 1300 (Le Praz) three times, and Montchavin (La Plagne) four times.
We preferred Montachavin, as Le Praz entailed a 200m trek to the lift.
Montchavin definitely has charm and looks, and has more than one good pizza place.
We stayed at the Chalet Mont Blanc: a robust and friendly chalet.
Back then the creche and kids club were here, but now they are in the Fontanelle next door (Living room).
Ski Esprit will organise lessons for you and provide lunch.
snow conditions
Jonpim,

We have done the last 2 years in Montchavin but this year Esprit have more or less pulled out. Only got 2 chalets there otherwise we would have gone back. Staying in Peisey instead. The place is just amazing. Its a real french farming village. The smell of cow p*ss is overwhelming in parts of the village as locals keep thier cows under thier houses in Winter Laughing . Lovely place but Esprit are deserting it.
Mad
ski holidays
Armitageblue, Pizzas suggest Italy. Ski-in and ski-out suggest a high altitude resort, but they are often purpose built and not often beautiful. Pretty villages suggest a valley resort and there are not too many which are ski-in and ski-out.

I would therefore suggest as a compromise a few resorts in the Italian Dolomites which might fit the bill ie. Selva or San Cassiano

As a "chocolate box" image with reasonably good slope access take a look at Grimentz in Switzerland. Swiss cuisine is excellent and I am sure the pizzas will be as well.

As an after thought Val d'Isere almost fits the bill in that there is quite an atmospheric "olde worlde" quality to the village centre. I am sure all the pizza eateries are excellent although it is a long time since I have been there.

Here are the links:

Selva http://www.valgardena-groeden.com/en/

San Cass and Alta Badia http://www.altabadia.org/home.athx?ccode=en-US&auth=SnYLVmK5gd43kmlq3wbMoKy8I64zo8coFQOcX4D%2fjHM%3d

Val D'Isere http://www.valdisere.com/gb/index.php

Grimentz http://www.grimentz.ch/en/Place/

Smile Smile Smile
latest report
DAVID SNELL wrote:
Armitageblue, Pizzas suggest Italy. Ski-in and ski-out suggest a high altitude resort, but they are often purpose built and not often beautiful. Pretty villages suggest a valley resort and there are not too many which are ski-in and ski-out.

I would therefore suggest as a compromise a few resorts in the Italian Dolomites which might fit the bill ie. Selva or San Cassiano

As a "chocolate box" image with reasonably good slope access take a look at Grimentz in Switzerland. Swiss cuisine is excellent and I am sure the pizzas will be as well.

As an after thought Val d'Isere almost fits the bill in that there is quite an atmospheric "olde worlde" quality to the village centre. I am sure all the pizza eateries are excellent although it is a long time since I have been there.

Here are the links:

Selva http://www.valgardena-groeden.com/en/

San Cass and Alta Badia http://www.altabadia.org/home.athx?ccode=en-US&auth=SnYLVmK5gd43kmlq3wbMoKy8I64zo8coFQOcX4D%2fjHM%3d

Val D'Isere http://www.valdisere.com/gb/index.php

Grimentz http://www.grimentz.ch/en/Place/

Smile Smile Smile

The bit of research I had done had drawn me to the Dolomites spookily enough, originally Arabba but then discovered not too good for beginners as you have to ski a red to get across the domain, then that led me to Corvana(sp?) but it appears not too English friendly, so the natural progression from all that was Selva. Smile
ski holidays
i know im biast, but Montgenevre

Ski in/out. - im staying in an appartment this year which is ski to town/ski to ski school/ski to lifts all from the door. There is a walk up on the snow from the town but like 200m.

Wide open blues and reds for intermediate and slightly less confident 9 year old. - slightly on the small side of things, but serre che and milky way are next door if you have a car.

Close to lifts. - The lifts are from the centre or you get a nursery slope drag up to get to the gondola.

Beautiful town/ village. - Relatively pretty with a nice church. No horrible tower blocks.

Good quality pizzerias for very fussy pizza eater. - There is a sicilian pizzeria which gets booked up prettymuch everynight and is geourgous italian food.

2 hour or less transfer. - 1 hour 30 max from Turin, i love that drive always full of anticipation.

Pretty much snow sure (as you can be). - brilliant snow record, best for the milky way and resort starts 1800 and goes upto 2800.

Limitations are that Its a little bit on the quiet side of things for night life.

Thanks(in anticipation)
latest report
Lots of good suggestions here, but I absolutely have to disagree about Val D'Isere. Especially in January. Misses several of the criteria including transfer length and "ski in ski out" (ok, there are a few, but.... it's going to be a lift down every day for an underconfident 2nd week skier. Even if he likes the green down to La Daille then it's a bus ride home). Whether the village is pretty or not is a matter of taste, I suppose, and I dare say there are some good (and expensive) pizzas.
ski holidays
On the pizza front I don't think anywhere doesn't have pizzerias in resort nowadays and they are usually pretty good. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy