Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings : re-use old ones, or has technology advanced?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

As may be gathered from comments elsewhere, I'm thinking of buying a new pair of skis, one pair that will serve me for everything.

I'm intrigued by the new salomon scream limited amongst others, and looking around I had a thought that I might be able to buy ski only and remount some old bindings, in order to lighten the load on the wallet Sad

My pocket rockets have s921Ti bindings which seem to be quite different to the Salomon Serie 5 bindings that I was considering taking off Mrs NBT's old Dynastar Max 8 skis: the skis have a large gouge in the base and the local ski tech told us they were almost done for, so we've replaced them with some scream 8 pilots. Those Bindings had come off Mrs NBT's even older Kastle straight skis, but obviously couldn't go on to the pilot bindings as they're designed to work with Salomon's new style - at least I'm assuming they are.

Anyway, my choices as I see them are:
Sell all my skis, buy one new pair including new bindings
sell the pocket rockets, hope to sell the crappy rossignols, re-use the bindings from the Dynastars

your thoughts? Are the new salomon spheric bindings that much better? Mrs NBT is quite convinced that if she'd had the spheric bindings the release action would have prevented her from tearing her calf muscle when she fell awkwardly in Fernie two seasons ago. I admit that they're better and spangly stuff is always good, but are they really £100 better? A saving of around £100 is always worth considering.

Also, anyone know of any offers on the Salomon Scream skis anywhere? I've found one place doing last years's Scream 10 pilot hot for 450 (incl bindings) and the scream limited for 299 ski only, 399 with bindings

Links below to show the bindings and the various skis I currently have - the pics once you ge to full size are quite high resolution. You can see the damage on the Dynastars quite clearly, I hope

Cheers
NBT

Salomon Serie 5 Bindings

Dynastar Max 8 skis
Rossignol CutZ 9.6 skis
Pocket Rocket skis

p.s. if anyone fancies any of these skis and wants further details let me know. They'll be in the "for sale" section soon-ish anyway

pps sorry for going on for so long
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, The serie 5 bindings are the Qudrax ones ? The toe piece is not so sophisticated as the910ti, and (for the Screams) you will need wider brakes - so new bindings may be the answer.

You can re-use old bindings, my favourite pair (some 997s) are now on their third set of skis - you do need to get them tested every now and then to make sure the release still works as it should.

The other thought I have is why sell the Max 8s - they look like a great pair of rock skis to me !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have got some Tyrolia 390D bibdings new in 1986 are they worth taking off my old Blizzard Firebirds and keeping for a second set of skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russell, definately not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks ski, that kind of helps me decide.

As for why sell the skis? Carrying more than one pair each is too much hassle. Wanna buy some rock skis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, I didnt think so, anyone want some firewood? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, check with your local shop. They can tell you whether or not the S921Ti bindings are indemnified this year.

Here is a link to a number of lists. It looks like your Salomons are not on it! Unless you meant 912Ti. Wink If they are on the list, they are effectively close enough to "current technology" that the manufacturer says that they are fine to mount on new skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did mean 912Ti, but they'll be staying on the pocket rockets as they definitly have a wider brake then normal.

Iwas hoping to move the Serie 5 bindings, but now I'm leaning towards getting a package of new skis and bindings.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Other versatile skis similar to the Scream 10 pilot hot that you may wish to consider are .....

Monster i.M 75 Chip SR2

Atomic Metron B5

Elan M555

Higher offpiste bias .....

Elan M666

Dynastar Legend 8000

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-12-04 14:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, Shocked but I've still got my 390D's in the attic waiting for use again. What's wrong with them? they were state of the art, err, fifteen years ago Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They will not be listed as in current use. They were made before the DIN standard became universal, the springs will have lost resilience, they may have rusted/seized. Also to my mind, Tyrolia were never good bindings in the first palce, commonly referred to Tyratlias. Now if want a pair of Tyrolia 490s we got some on an old pair of skis that adorn our porch, sometimes used to prop the door open, can't think of a better use for them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, thanks for that, must admit I am influenced by the hype and know little about skis made by companies other than salomon. I might check out some of your recommendations
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whooo, almost £100 more for the Metrons, though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fischer RX8 (turnier)
Fischer RX9 (longer, smooth)

But, the Metron b5s are really, really nice!

(I'm getting both a new pair of RX8s [165cm] and M:b5s [162cm]. I can't believe I can ski on something that short!!!!!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh,

Read good reports on the RX8s but thought they were a bit too narrow to be a good all-rounder (not having the float in the soft stuff). Have you tried them in powder?

nbt,

I would look futher than just Salomon, best to try a few skis first before parting with cash. Maybe keep onto your old skis for one season and rent a few other models throughtout the season then buy the ski you like in the end of season sales.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 2-12-04 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=20882
snow conditions
Just to confuse you even more some people prefer the M11 to the B5 and the B5 is dam heavy by all accounts ......

http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/44/30/
latest report
There's just one antique binding I'd confidently ski, and we're talking a 30 year vintage:

The Look N77
Magnificent piece of engineering, protection virtually as good as the best bindings made today.
ski holidays
David, you are talking about the best binding ever made, the only competition being the old Marker racing binding with turntable heel and exposed springs. If you come to chalet Le Mouflon the only bindings you'll see our skis are Looks, apart from a solitary Salomon Pilot. Nostalgia, definitely not what it used to be.
latest report
Buy any other binding and it'll be money for old rope.
snow report
David Goldsmith, I have an engineering issue with THAT binding: I do not believe the toepiece bottom plate is adequate for skis without metal. Pressure on top the boot lug gets transferred to the ski, effectively levering the screws out of the ski.

I was as angry as I could be when this happened to my Elan RC 05s. Oh, wait, that could have been dryrot in the wood cores. Well, I was mad at the time anyway. wink
ski holidays
nbt,
If you're selling your Rossis on this site, 'crappy' is probably not the most inspired description. Laughing
I have a pair of oldish scream 10 pilots I might be willing to swap for rockets, mainly because my wife would throw a wobbly if I bought a fifth pair of skis.
ski holidays
MartinH, Just being honest.

Local ski shpo has scream 10 pilot hot for £488, new, with s912Ti bindings.

I keep thinking I should really hire, but the plain fact is I own skis already so being short on cash (if I ever have any "spare" it means I can afford another ski trip - we're hoping for three this year! Smile) I think about hiring then decode to just go out instead.

In Fernie I got in a few runs on different skis as the Ski Canada Magazine testers were in town and on the fiorst day some of the skis were available for the general public to play with

decisions, decisions...
snow report
David Goldsmith, I know these are good bindings, though the word 'antique' reminded me of a quote from Snow Crazy:

Quote:
"'K.R.S. - A broken binding that doesn't hold the foot adds a sense of glorious uncertainty to a run."
ski holidays
I know one thing, sking can be dangerous enough without taking risks with bindings. New skis and new bindings for me, without question.

Sell everything but the rockets unless you are sure your new purchase can do what they do.

I always hire which works out about £100.00 a week but I get to try whatever I fancy and new for the season. It may be expensive but it saves on servicing. Athough I have been to a few shops recently which have charged me to change skis, not too impressed with that but then they do have to service them, I suppose.

That said, I am perplexed what to look for this year. B5's or 4800/6200 maybe!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy