Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Man dies after falling from chairlift at Heavenly

Poster: A snowHead
A 19-year-old man, Ryan Moore, fell 25 feet from a ski lift at Heavenly Mountain Resort (US) yesterday. He was air lifted for treatment to nearby Barton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. El Dorado County deputies are investigating the deadly fall. Moore was riding with a friend on the Dipper Express chairlift when he fell. Witnesses told authorities that the restraining bar on the chair was not down....From: http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7582981?nclick_check=1
http://www.kcra.com/news/14721147/detail.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Witnesses told authorities that the restraining bar on the chair was not down....

Strange how in Europe we would not dream of leaving the bar up. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, most often there isn't a bar to pull down in the States. All to do with liability... if there's a bar and you fall off it's the resorts fault, if there's no bar and you fall off it's your fault. A mad world.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

if there's a bar and you fall off it's the resorts fault, if there's no bar and you fall off it's your fault.

isn't that the wrong way round?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, Shocked Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I asked a park ranger in Yosemite if he knew what the weather forecast was, he said he did but could not tell me in case I sued him.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
that's poo-poo news... condolances to the lads friends and family Sad

goes out skiing, doesn't go home...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mattmulkeen wrote:
Quote:

if there's a bar and you fall off it's the resorts fault, if there's no bar and you fall off it's your fault.

isn't that the wrong way round?

Nope. Mad innit? And now I think I'll sue you for implying that I don't know what I'm doing. This has affected my business, my health and brought shame on my entire family. Would you like to settle out of court?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
boredsurfin, most often there isn't a bar to pull down in the States. All to do with liability... if there's a bar and you fall off it's the resorts fault, if there's no bar and you fall off it's your fault. A mad world.

You have GOT to be kidding! Shocked Mad world is right. rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

most often there isn't a bar to pull down in the States

Another good reason to stay in europe then.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most lifts I've been on in the US and Canada have had bars - not always foot rests but definately safety bars. Whats even more bizzare about riding the chairs is how early the yanks want to lift the bar up Shocked Usually at least 2 or 3 pylons from the top !! When there one year with friends we used to wait until about 20 seconds to go as one of our party liked it up really early Smile

Sad news though to hear of someone falling and dying.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bones, Yep, but conversley I've been on chairs in France a couple of times when sharing with French people and they don't let you lift the bar up until almost the last moment Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, yep...not sure if there's a theme running on the forum today...but I hate it up either too late or too early.

Sorry, I did mean that seriously, despite the double entendre - it's scary either way. What a sad incident.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nightmare - terrbile that - I'm going to Heavenly in Feb...... wiill be making saure the bars are down, whether the Yanks like it or NOT!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few years ago in the US, I forgot which resort. A skier had a heart attack on a chairlift without a safety bar.
Because there was no safety bar he fell to the ground & the Ski Patrol were able to get to him & revive him. Im not sure what other injuries he sustained from the fall.
If however, he had continued slumped in the chair with a safety bar he would have died.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 1-12-07 12:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

If however, he had continued slumped in the chair with a safety bar he would of died.

Shouldn't that be "he might have died"???
snow report
Tim Sawyer, stanton doesn't deal in uncertainties.
latest report
shenryo wrote:
nightmare - terrbile that - I'm going to Heavenly in Feb...... wiill be making saure the bars are down, whether the Yanks like it or NOT!

shenryo, all you need to do is ask before you bring the bar down.

The won't like it if they are leaning forward, and you bring it down on their head, or hand!

Normal (polite) routine would be "Do you mind if I bring the bar down?" wait a couple of seconds, then bring it down.
ski holidays
Quote:

stanton doesn't deal in uncertainties

Gotcha. Shouldn't that be "usually doesn't deal..." Little Angel
latest report
Tim Sawyer, Laughing I asked for that!
ski holidays
and if they so 'no'? Bring it down on their heads?
snow report
shenryo,
Push em off and then bring it down. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
lmao - nice one T Bar Wink
ski holidays
They are confuesed as normally they have people that do everything for them in American resorts Cool Sad story but I would love to go in a blaze of glory while skiing. Prefrebly somwhere like LE GRAVE Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I don't think this is a big debate - no competent adult should fall off a chair under normal operating conditions bar or no bar.

Don't know what this says about the incident but not having the bar cracked across your skull by some imbecilic continental or timid English flower before you've even left the ground is one of the pleasures of skiing in the US IMV. They at least have the etiquette of asking "Bar down?"
ski holidays
IBode Swiller, there was a rash of bar removals in the 80's, as well as foot rests being sawn off to avoid the lawyers attentions, but I thought that had turned round now with more and more states having legislation defining ski area liability? I am probably wrong.

What is true is that lots of locals and hard core skiers in the US never put the bar down. Lots of things can cause someone to become unpredictably and suddenly unconscious and so fall. First epileptic seizure for instance.
latest report
Holy smoke, I can remember lots of people pooh-pooh-ing other chair lift threads (what on earth are you talking about? - you just sit on it and stand up at the end! What are you scared of, for heaven's sake?!) They ought to come and take a look in here. Shocked
snow report
I agree with fatbob about adults - its the little kids that scare me - when mixing in with ski schools and being asked to be a temporary child minder - I can't say I'm comfortable with it doing it but I'd hope another adult would help my kids - its go to be safer than letting them go up unsupervised at all. On the other hand I've not heard of any falling kids - perhaps its hushed up along with all those coaches that plunge inot the depths during airport transfers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
coaches pluning? OMFG, what are you trying to say? Shocked
ski holidays
Not worried about pluning but my wife is convinced that the incidence of coach v rocks has to be higher than the men in suits will have you believe (she gets updates through the fillings in her teeth..)
rolling eyes
snow report
boredsurfin, I noticed yesterday that alot of the ski racers taking the chair in Tignes left the bar up, personally I wouldn't dream of it.
ski holidays
Tim Sawyer wrote:
Quote:

If however, he had continued slumped in the chair with a safety bar he would of died.

Shouldn't that be "he might have died"???

No, he definitely would have died because of the remaining time to reach the top. Somewhere on the www there is a story. It was so many years ago +

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 1-12-07 12:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton, Whichever, it's "have" and not "of" - which is an incredibly naff error, I'm afraid. I can't speak Dutch at all, so I'm not in any way casting aspersions on your considerable linguistic abilities. I just thought you might like to know.
ski holidays
OMG !! Worked with a 17year old Ryan Moore at Kirkwood 2 seasons ago. Crying or Very sad

Edit - not the same guy, still tragic. Sad

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 1-12-07 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
A few years ago in the US, I forgot which resort. A skier had a heart attack on a chairlift without a safety bar.
Because there was no safety bar he fell to the ground & the Ski Patrol were able to get to him & revive him. Im not sure what other injuries he sustained from the fall.
If however, he had continued slumped in the chair with a safety bar he would have died.

This happened on Chair 7 at Kirkwood in 2005. The skier was revived at the time but didn't make it after a further massive heart attack later. The guys family turned up at the Lodge at Kirkwood about 11pm looking for him. Sad

Jesus this is a cheeful thread is it not. Sad
snow report
yet another resort I am visiting next year Sad the bars will be coming down, that's for damn sure!
snow conditions
Sad news, absolutely.
ski holidays
Quote:

hushed up along with all those coaches that plunge inot the depths during airport transfers.
just to add to the gloom on this thread - we almost had of those, in Serbia, years ago - transfer from Kapaonik. The road was very icy, and the driver was driving far too fast. All the kids were enjoying themselves in the back, the adults tight lipped. Eventually, I decided to stop being British and go and ask the guy to slow down. Or rather, ask the tour rep, as my Serbo-Croat was limited to buying beers and coffees. I said firmly "If he goes round bends this fast I shall vomit all over the bus" and she asked him to slow down. He scarcely reacted and the road got scarier, big bends, big drops. Then we went into a huge skid, must have been 100 metres at least, you could just feel it lose traction as it floated towards the next bend. We came to a halt, faced almost back up the road, with the back end of the bus (full of the kids, who had gone quiet), hanging over the abyss and the rest of it right across both carriageways of the narrow road. Driver tried to drive forward - tyres gripped for a minute, then slipped back further. Sharp intakes of breath, no screams (we're British) and parents want to get kids out of back of bus. Tour guide "Please stay in your seats, everything's all right". Some mutinous muttering; but we're still British. I stood up and said loudly, and scaredly, "No, I think we should all get off the bus, immediately, unloading from the back." Everyone agreed, and we all got off and stood in freezing snow in woods on the uphill side of the road. I asked a couple of the guys to go back up, and down, the road to flag down any other idiots driving too fast. There was a huge slab of ice, several feet long and several inches thick, under the wheels - we'd obviously skidded down on that. Eventually, after our uphill chap had waved his red flannel drawers at a coach which had thankfully been going a bit slower, the driver got the bus back on the road, facing in the right direction, and we all got on again, cold but very relieved - we could hardly have been much closer. It was a long transfer - and by this time we were late, so he started driving fast again and this time everyone yelled at him to slow down. We'd stopped being British.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
shenryo wrote:

shenryo, all you need to do is ask before you bring the bar down.

The won't like it if they are leaning forward, and you bring it down on their head, or hand!

Normal (polite) routine would be "Do you mind if I bring the bar down?" wait a couple of seconds, then bring it down.

Which all suggests there is a culture that does not want you to lower the bar. Were that not so, the others would not be leaning forward or whatever. I'd find that inhibiting - and would rather not want to go to such a resort in the first place.
snow report
Quote:

Which all suggests there is a culture that does not want you to lower the bar
not necessarily. I am all for lowering bars, and not putting them up too soon, but there are some idiots who bring them down far too hastily, without checking. I don't see why people should find it inhibiting to feel that they need to check that people are ready before yanking!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy