Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Needed: Car Rental - Geneva to 3 Valleys / St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

4 People & 2 Snowboard Bags need to get from Geneva to St Martin, 3 Valleys - Advice Please.

We're a group of 4, and we're currently in the process of arranging our holiday for Feb Half term. We've got accomodation and flights sorted. Now we need to confirm our transfer from Geneva to St Martin in the 3 Valleys.

We've looked at a couple of companies offering transfers, including one we've used before, but we seem to be looking at £90 pp, so £360.

Initial quotes for car hire seem a better option. But I'm not sure about not being able to confirm what actual car etc and have only seen 'request' (not confirm) 'ski racks' on one companies website. I've never hired a car before - so I want to check that I've got everything covered.

Does anyone have any experience with hiring cars from Geneva?

My main concern is luggage. We're looking at at least 2 Snowboard bags. A Ford Focus with a roof rack would do the trick. But do they offer a normal roof rack?

Any advice would be greatfully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to use a roof rack, you can buy an inflatable one for about £50.

However, on a trip this year, I hired an estate car, and found it big enough for 4 people & 2 snowboards.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always use holidayautos.co.uk - they're generally good on price and, more importantly, if you've got a special request like this, you can call them up and speak to an actual LIVE HUMAN who will help you out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys,

firebug: So you've used these before and spoke to one of these "live humans" before then? I'll keep that in mind (I see they're part of lastminute, i'd had a look on there before)...

I've also looked on http://www.europcar.co.uk/ and they list "luggage rack" as a pre-bookable option and quote £190 inc rack for a week if paid up front online for a VW Golf. Seems good - but they won't confirm snow chains as an option online...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Should I be concerned about these companies being unable to confirm extras like snowchains and roof racks in advance? It seems daft that they'll let you book a car, but leave the extras 'to chance' on arrival...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mr_simonward, if you hire from the Swiss side (which is the easier option), the car comes 'winterised'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really? By 'winterised' are we talking snow chains? (Is there anything else I should be considering?)

Is it as simple as driving out of the Swiss side of the airport and through the boarder control into france? What makes you say this is the easier option?

Can I ask about 'your trip': I take it you hired from Geneva? Did you book in advance, and who with? If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? (I know there's probably season variation, but I'm interested in any 'hidden extras' and if I'm allowing a sensible amount for fuel etc...)

cheers,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

If this link is still active, usually but not always a good price (15% off normal holiday-autos rate). All cars we've hired had winter tyres and chains. Last season ebookers was very reasonable too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Helen, your link took a while to load, but did in the end - but from what I can see, prices are no different to going to www.holidayautos.co.uk direct as suggested by firebug. (other than it took longer to load and didn't seem to display properly...

I'm still curious to hear what people are calling 'reasonable'? How much are people used to paying?

I just spoke to a friend on the phone and he seemed to think £190 for a VW Golf and roof rack for the week was expensive...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mr_simonward if you want the lowest price using the french side of GVA can save quite a few quid even after adding cost of chains etc BUT it is more difficult to find your way to the roads you need for the 3Vs and also much trickier for the way back
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've tried a few car hire firms from Geneva with no problems.

Autos-Europe tend to be cheap and reliable. Last year we tried Carhire 3000 which was cheaper, as we needed a 9 seater. I thought it might be crap but all was well (except ski rack didn't fit on roof until you got out of underground car park - pain in the back bottom!)

Always used Swiss side for speed and convenience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers Rodger C,

That seems like good advice to back up ssnowmans statement: Swiss side is easier, but french side is cheaper...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, did I use the 'A' word! Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting findings on the swiss vs. french side:

Swiss Side,
Golf 1.6 = £220.71 (and only list ski rack as an option, not luggage rack)

French Side,
Golf TDI = £171.06 (and lists 'luggage rack' as an option)

Divided by 4 that is only £13 difference. but the French side lists luggage rack, and swiss doesn't.

Decisions, Decisions...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something to be considered for cheapness- this is not a hassle free option.-Hire car from french side take passengers to st martin ,drop off car at moutier and get buss back.Hire car on last day from moutier and drive back to Geneva leave at french side.We did this a long time ago and it worked out a lot cheaper but by no means hassle free it was also more viable as we were there for 2 weeks.
snow report
mr_simonward, your French vehicle won't have snow tyres either, you will have to book and pay extra for them, and the chains. mr_simonward, perhaps the affilliate offer doesn't exist anymore. Lots of us snowheads saved a lot of money over the last two seasons with it.
ski holidays
Looks like the link doesn't give the discount anymore, normally prices shown are strcuck through, and a lower price given.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-06-07 8:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Also check out sixt.com
I used them from Geneve to Chamonix in November. Apart from the hassle of getting in/out of the French side, they were good, and cheap. (I think I paid about 70 euro for a mondeo for a weekend)
snow conditions
It can be a real pain getting the car back to the French side. Especially if there's any problems at all, e.g. roadworks. You can get properly lost (well, we did, anyway! and we've done it several times) and it's slower. Last time we got one from the French side, there was a delay on the way in so we had to dump it on the Swiss side and pay the 100 euro charge - cheaper than 2 new flights! Hey ho, we live and learn.

Plus you won't get snow chains, which you might need.

Anyway I have indeed spoken with the live humans, they've always been very helpful and have been able to confirm extras and so on....
ski holidays
cheers guys! All the information coming in is proving really educational...

On another note, let's talk about time: How long do you think it'll take us to get to St Martin?

We're probably not going to be leaving Geneva much before 6-7pm on the Saturday of Feb Half term, what do you reckon?
latest report
I find it takes about 2.5 hours -certainly agree you should rent from teh Swiss side.
snow conditions
Hi folks. nearly 6 months on, and we've realised that we never actually sorted out our transfer. Confused

Anyone have any 'fresh' tips or pointers for this season?

I think the idea is to stick with getting a car from the swiss side, and keeping it for the week. Propably a focus or astra estate, with roof rack. I'm going to give holidayautos.com a call tomorrow...
ski holidays
mr_simonward, try a dummy quote from the discount link inthis earlier post before you do for comparison, it often saves a few quid.
snow report
Yes, Swiss is easiest, from all points of view, but the French side is easy enough if you know how - it's only a couple of kms further. But it's not the case that it's always cheaper.

Your question about timing is tricky. 2.5h would normally do it, but on the evening of half term..... could be very busy, and exceptionally slow if the traffic is combined with bad (e.g. snowy!) weather. Will you have kids in the car? Have some food and drinks. In fact, have some food and drinks whoever is in the car. Laughing But if you're the only driver, don't let them all drink beers the whole way. You'll be able to be pretty sure about the weather to expect, before you fly. If it looks as though it might be snowy, then if you've never done it before, do practice putting on the snowchains before you leave the car park. You asked about "winterisation" - a key aspect of cars from the Swiss side is winter tyres, which will give you better grip and make it less likely that you'll need chains. Best bet is to organise the snow to start falling heavily once you are inside your accommodation. Oh yes - you might want to ask your accommodation about parking, preferably covered (will have to pay). Digging cars out of snowdrifts is not a lot of fun. If you do all this - practice snowchains, pay for covered parking, you will of course have blue skies all week!

Use viamichelin.com to get a route. Maybe get a map, too, in case of diversions/road works.

When you leave the airport, follow the green signs to "France" which will take you quickly onto the motorway towards Chamonix. Not that you'll going to Cham, of course, but there won't be any signs to St Martin at that point.
snow conditions
mr_simonward, only the other day I did just what you are looking at.
I booked with Holiday Autos. All very easy. Ski rack comes as an extra.
ski holidays
Just be aware that parking for the week in the 3V will add to your costs. You will also need to keep an eye on the car, and might even need to move it from time to time. A couple of years ago a friend of mine in his own car took over 3 hours to get from the main road in Moutiers to Meribel. We had the use of an underground car-park, but some people were digging out cars and trying to thaw frozen-up brake systems that had filled with snow by the end of the week.

Maybe the extra for the taxi-transfer might be a good deal after all!

snowHead
ski holidays
Don't forget as well, that if you hire from the French side you will have to buy a vignette (SFr40 or £17 ish) if you choose to use the Swiss motorways. You can avoid driving on these but it is by no means straightforward and adds about 30 minutes to your journey time. I've only used the French side once but that was because I wanted to return the car to Grenoble airport and this was not possible if I'd hired from the Swiss side (different country etc)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 2-12-07 23:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
FenlandSkier wrote:
mr_simonward, try a dummy quote from the discount link inthis earlier post before you do for comparison, it often saves a few quid.

Cheers, I tried that before the summer and got no joy - but it does seem to knock £25 off now...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
mr_simonward, only the other day I did just what you are looking at.
I booked with Holiday Autos. All very easy. Ski rack comes as an extra.

Define 'ski rack' for me please. Is it something I can strap 2 snowboard bags to? (ie. just like a roof rack) or is it specifically for ski's?
latest report
mr_simonward, sorry, no idea what they mean by a ski rack.
We don't need one: I don't have skis, and I'm travelling with a pixie: her skis will fit in the glove compartment. Toofy Grin
snow report
mr_simonward wrote:

Define 'ski rack' for me please. Is it something I can strap 2 snowboard bags to? (ie. just like a roof rack) or is it specifically for ski's?

The ones I've seen were a pair of small clips, (magnetically?) attached to the roof of the car. No way would they carry any bags - better off hiring a Mondeo or similar estate car.
ski holidays
Right - we're nearly there I think. Can I just check, are there any extras I need to take into account? How does this pricing up sound:

Mondeo Estate from Swiz side : £186.65
Tank of fuel : £50
Car parking in St Martin: free

Total: £240

I'm not missing any tolls or other charges am I?

Cheers again folks...
ski holidays
There will be a few roads tolls between GVA and Annecy or Albertville (depending on the route you take); around 6 to 12 Euro each way IIRC.
snow report
mr_simonward you will pay some French motorway tolls but could avoid most (maybe all?) of these if you take the "scenic" route via Annecy and down the side of the lake instead of motorway via Chambery. Personally I usually go the long way round but know that many others prefer the direct route.

Have a look at www.viamichelin.com and you can check out both options and also find out toll costs, ignore the cost of the swiss motorway vignette as the hire car will have this.
ski holidays
The Annecy route on a half-term Saturday is probably best avoided. It can get very busy through Annecy and along the lake. Better to stay on the autoroute via Chambery.
ski holidays
Time and distance
Time: 02h12 including 01h18 on motorways
Distance: 186km including 139km on motorways
et 25km on scenic roads

Costs 54.24 EUR
---------------------------
Toll costs: 9.60 EUR
Petrol costs: 17.64 EUR
Road tax cost: 27.00 EUR

Is it the 27 Euro 'Road Tax' I can ignore?
latest report
mr_simonward, yes, I think that's the Swiss vignette. The toll costs of 9.60 is for the French peage. It will take longer than 2h12m on half-term saturday.
snow report
mr_simonward, the French seem to have a very blase attitude about the rental car you've booked - in our experience they just give you what they have left. We had a very bad experience with Europcar in France - they had run out of ski racks and snow chains even though we had paid for these in advance. We had a most uncomfortable journey squashed against our skis Sad . Lucky for us it wasn't snowing...
Never had a problem in Switzerland however, always got the make of car as ordered. The rental cars in Switzerland are equipped with winter tyres and snowchains as standard and for this reason I would always hire a car on the Swiss side rather than the French side. The Swiss car will also have the motorway Vignette.

BTW, when you are comparing the French/Swiss prices bear in mind that the Swiss car comes with winter tyres and snowchains, but you will pay extra for these on the French side...
ski holidays
mr_simonward, as rob@rar said, there are tolls on the motorway but they are pocket money really. It takes longer than 2h12m on *any* Saturday - received wisdom is avoid the Albertville-Moutiers road at any time from 2pm onwards on a Saturday - so half term is likely to be much worse, even travelling a bit later as you are. The very first time we went to the 3V we were not aware of the bottleneck, passed Albertville at about 4.30pm, encountered the back of the traffic jam about 4 km later, and didn't get to C1650 until nearly 8pm, this at the end of January. You have been warned.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Looks like the link doesn't give the discount anymore, normally prices shown are struck through, and a lower price given.

Just to confirm folks that the Holiday Autos discount link is still working.

I've just double-checked. Two windows side by side. Window "A" - £101 for a compact wagon. Window "B" - £85.85 for the same car.

There's just no crossing out of the price anymore.

Nearly had a heart attack there... Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy