Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me all. (please)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's alright
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hideous village, as are the nursery slopes immediately above it. But lots of lovely places around the mountains, on-piste and off. I don't particularly recommend falling at the top of a run called Le Tunnel, but that's just me... rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
how about you use the search function and then give us some more specific questions once you've done a bit of research?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, bit harsh, the nursery slopes are great as nursery slopes go, quite good fun and not quite nursery really, great for working through techniques over the first few weeks on snow. Night skiing too at resort level that is deffo not nursery.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, Sorry, I wasn't clear, they're fine for skiing on, they just don't look very attractive. I haven't actually stayed there (was based in Vaujany) so haven't tried night skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez is a great resort for all levels of skiers. The resort itself is very functionable althought probably not the most picturesque, the views from the town however are stunning. It is mainly purpose built although the old town still has some charm. It certainly has everything that most people want in a ski resort with swimming pools, a fantastic sports centre and an ice rink that are all free to use with your lift pass. There are some excellent restaurants both on and off the mountain and some good bars.

Ski wise you have 240kms at your deposal. The bowl above the town is pretty much all green runs so very easily accessed if you are a beginner. If you are an intermidiate or advanced skier there are five satellite villages to ski to, offering a variety of different pistes. There is some excellent off piste if you want to take a guide for the day and go and explore. It also shares it's lift pass with Les Deux Alpes so you can go for a days skiing over there as well or in Serre Che if you wish.

If you need to know anything more than a general overview I'm happy to help!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
katski, cheers for that! Very informative! Seems like it has decent off-piste runs which is cool. I imagine it has a snowpark as well? How is the snow quality generally? Does it face the sun a lot and thus tends to be icey or?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ADH has quite a few South-facing slopes. The resort is a bit like a saucer, with gentle slopes near the centre, and things getting steeper the higher you go. Very good off-piste available. Whilst the town doesn't do chocolate-box-top Alpine charm, it has a nice relaxed feel to it, and the odd good restaurant.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
katski wrote:
swimming pools

Take speedos if you want to swim - yes I know us brits hate the 'fiddlys' but you won't get in without em. Shorts, boardies or similar are not allowed.

vive le france, vive le difference.

apart from that I'd go with all katski says.. we had a great time when we went in a group of about 20 mixed from begginner to high mileage to offpisters..

oh and make sure you go on the 'scary chair' - the one that goes under the airport..it's worh it just for the views...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heh..... Neutral

What's this scary chair?

Uni ski trip is from 4th to 12th January so that's why I'm wondering, I'm guessing the snow if all goes well *knocks on wood* should be decent?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah, i'm there from the 5 th jan to 12 th jan, Very Happy so see you there Laughing

It's our 3rd time at ADH with the kids 7 + 9 , we love the place but thats probably more to do with the green runs, the easy access ( because i end up carrying everything Evil or Very Mad ) and the excellent ski intsructors.

The kids and my wife get a private lesson over the lunch hour every day which works out the same as a week of ski school but it helps their confidence.

give me a pm if there's anything specific you want to know but katski, s the local expert Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
some pics

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See what I mean? But you don't have to move far from this area to get views which are MUCH easier on the eye! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, it is white, it is wide, it is beautiful Very Happy stop being so shallow wink
snow report
Hurtle, like this:

snowHead
ski holidays
ITs a pretty good all round ski resort. Katski and Arno give a fair impression. some prettier tree lined skiing on north facing slopes in the oz/vauany areas. Getting to the top there can be queues for the cable car. Some slopes can get heavy in the sun in late season, but its pretty snow sure. Its a good resort for mixed group of skiers. its defn not choclate box but its a god resort for serious skiing that also accomodate beginners and early intermediates equally as well. Fantastic views once away from the village
ski holidays
Sounds good, heading out there with wife and kids for New Year. Just hope my knee operation goes well Puzzled
latest report
Arno Shock How can I access that, that just looks unbelievable.
ski holidays
Timmaah, simple answer - with a guide! it's actually quite tricky to find your way in there but there is lots of stuff which is a bit easier/more obvious and no less spectacular
snow report
I've heard that its a very nice good weather resort, but not all that great in bad weather. Most of the skiing is above the treeline and the higher lifts are prone to shutting in bad weather. However, the runs down to the satellite villlages should be ideal in bad weather...

Just something to bear in mind... of course, in really bad weather a trip to Serre Chevalier might not be a bad idea with all the tree lined skiing that is available there.

Alpe D'huez is very high and the skiing also goes very high so it is generally quite snowsure.
snow report
Markus, good points although if the weather's that bad the Col du Lauteret will be a bit hairy! LDA is a very good option for bad weather skiing IMO
latest report
Timmaah wrote:
Heh..... Neutral

What's this scary chair?

It's the alpauris chair that runs from the bottom of marmotte1 (the right hand of the two main lifts out of town) and just trundles gently for a while, goes under the end of the runway, over the sarenne valley and links to the signal side of the mountain..its the bit where it drops over the edge which is a bit hear stopping...
snow conditions
bertie bassett, Which way does that chair run. On the piste map it looks like it comes from the valley back to ADH, rather than the other way. If thats so how do you get to Auris?
snow report
Michael B wrote:
bertie bassett, Which way does that chair run. On the piste map it looks like it comes from the valley back to ADH, rather than the other way. If thats so how do you get to Auris?

It's a two way chair, you can go both ways I think.
snow conditions
that's right drwill - access to the round auris lump. csn be a really nice quiet area the day after a dump. (shhhhhhh. Laughing)
ski holidays
If it is that bad the trip down the 21 hairpins out of ADH will be a bit of a concern as well. Laughing

If it is dumping huge, then a few lifts up out of the village will give you all you need to play around in...IMV
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy