Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski simulators

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any info on these? Ever tried them? The likes of the machines at www.skiersedge.co.uk for example....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask our resident British ski racer what he thinks of them, I happened to be present at the Southampton Ski Show this year where they had a couple of these right opposite his stand, well the stand of the resort he was promoting, when someone trying one of them came off and went sideways through the stand wall, no permanent damage was done (to youngster or stand) but it was quite spectacular when it happened Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now that could be interesting! If by the resident ski racer you mean Martin Bell, it's his brother Graham that promotes this particular make!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know they were both there, but I didn't say hi, it looked like they were a bit busy rebuilding the stand wall at the time Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Happy It claims to be the no 1 machine of the type in the world. I suppose they could claim that if beginners fall off, that just goes to prove how true to life it is Wink

I wonder - should you wear your ski boots while training on the simulator?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a quick go at the Ski Show. It was quite hard work (although I'm very unfit) and certainly required more coordination that most gym equipment I've used. I'm not qualified to say whether this machine excercises "ski muscles" better than other equipment, but that is what is claimed by the manufacturers. Graham B was a very entertaining presenter/promoter of the equipment, and clearly is still extremely fit even though he's retired from competitive skiing.

The main thing which puts me off is the price. From what I can remember they were around £1,000 for the most basic model. If snowHeads could negotiate a 50% discount I'd probably buy one!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob, Graham's done some promotion of the Skiers Edge products in a thread over in SnowRacers. Maybe you could drop a couple of comments along those lines there?!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a trip to Tokyo ten years ago to see the opening of the Ski Dome (now demolished) I was also privileged to try a very sophisticated virtual reality ski simulator prototyped by NEC.
This comprised two skis on hydraulic suspension with special goggles that projected an animated ski landscape.
The effect was amazing! Sadly the machine never reached production, as far as I know.
Simpler machines which I find fascinating are moving carpets - the only way to ski unlimited distances with no distraction from the discipline of maintaining rhythm. There are obvious problems with making no forward motion on a 'contraflow' carpet - it doesn't really simulate the physics of true skiing. But it's fantastic for developing leg strength.
5 minutes on a moving carpet and your leg muscles are on fire. For beginners and intermediates they are an excellent way of developing balance, the snowplough position, and linked turns.
Why don't we see more of them? They've been around since the 1960s.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course to be really clever you'd combine the VR ski effect with the moving carpet, stick the whole thing in an enviroment chamber and there you go Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and at the budget end of the market... m'lady just got herself one of those "Mini Stepper" things. It has quite a high resistance and 20 minutes on that has really made me notice the muscles that usually ache after the first days skiing... calves, hams and butt! So that'll be how I watch the news each night for the next 5 weeks and 5 days - not that I'm counting or anything...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got myself one of those tony little gazzelle x trainers ( http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fukgasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&country=uk&txtDesc=gazelle )in the hope it may help strengthen some of the leg muscles needed for skiing, especiallty the quads as i have a slightly weak left knee which the doc tells me is because there is less muscle bulk on my left leg compared to me right.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The_Mac_Daddy have you used your x-trainer yet? Any comments or feedback on it?

I have a step machine for 6 or 7 years now, so I'm keen to change it for a different piece of equipment .. preferably a folding one. The step machine is brill for strengthening the leg muscles used when you're skiing. But it would be great to get a machine that works your arms too .. and the QVC one seems like good value
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sonya, i've only had the x trainer for about a month or so, so it's a bit early for me to notice any results but this is what i think so far.

It comes in kit form, straight forward bolting it together. It is very sturdy and also quite big, it will take up a bit of space even though it does fold up. In use it's very easy and quite good fun to use (for a bit of exercice kit) i started off using it in front of the telly watching the super cheesey video that comes with it just to pick up some of the different exercises you can do on it. After a while i noticed because of the weight of the machine (very heavy) it was leaving big indents on my carpet, so i've now moved it to my gym (spare bedroom) which has wood flooring, which is fine apart from the machine slips backwards when i'm really going for it so i've gone out and bought some rubber anti slip feet to attach to the bottom of it. All in all, i think this is a great bit of kit, i'm very happy with it and believe it's well worth the money. I find it's great when listening to some nice uk garage music, really works up a sweat Wink After using it, you can really feel that you've used some muscles. Also, if you buy it from qvc and don't get on with it, send it back it will have only cost you for the postage (about £20 i think)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've just got one of these and one of these. I find them both impossible at the moment, thought the kids have no problem. Supposed to be ideal to build up core strength, and balance obviously...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
Anyone have any info on these? Ever tried them? The likes of the machines at www.skiersedge.co.uk for example....

I've got one.Saw it demo'd by Graham Bell at the NEC.Had a long chat with him(as everyone says,bloody nice bloke)decided to go for it so he brought one in his car to the next show he did.

Observations,1 year on.Its expensive(a little over £1000)but a substancial bit of kit.No sign of any wear at all.It can be boring(the curse of all machines IMHO)Its very effective.You really can "feel" the appropriate muscles are being worked.Wide range of adjustment means all can use it.Takes a bit of getting used to;def helps balance and co-ordination.I can free stand on it for short periods;my son can can free stand for as long as he likes;very annoying Sad
Is it worth the expense?I would say yes.We all(5 of us)ski so,initial investment over exp life of machine=cheap,ski specific exercise.
Its always avaliable and it works.Not a gym type person;too much free testosterone for me.

Spoke to Graham at recent NEC ski show.Still enthusiastic,expanded the range and has now got them placed in David Lloyd Leisure.I also take comfort from the fact that GB has put his name to it,along with a growing list of international ski teams.

PS. If you really want to "work out",try the mogul pads.OOH that hurts Shocked
snow report
snowskisnow, that's good to hear, because I've ordered one - the Big Mountain with footpads and slope simulator. Would have cost a fortune to get it over to France but luckily Graham is going to the Val d'Isère Criterium early Dec, so he's dropping it off on the way.
ski holidays
They have one of the Skier Edge models at Profeet and they have their customers use it as part of the fitting process. It was great fun & good exercise. I got a brochure off them but haven't read it yet. Apparently they do a range of models.
snow conditions
I've got one, and would generally agree with snowskisnow on what was said. It does take a while to get used to it and feel it has helped alot on balance etc. As to how much it will actually help my skiing, I shall have to wait and see. But convinced that the balance/fitmess etc improvements can only help enjoy the holiday more.

Graham also very nicely dropped mine of in his car as soon as his new stock arrived.

Plus you do get a video which you can put on as you exercise of someone going down a gentle snowy slope somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy