Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis for nervous intermediate - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm after getting some new (at least to me, don't mind second hand) skis. I've been skiing about 15 years, but am still a nervous intermediate! I tend to stick to piste, though enjoy having a play in the powder off the side of a piste. I'm 5'8'' and 63kg. I've been recommended the K2 one Luv. Any thoughts, other recommendations or things I might like to consider before I part with my hard earned cash? Also, what length? Either 153 or 160 for the one Luvs. I tend to have knee probs, will skiing a little shorter help with this?
Thank you loads for your help and suggestions, want to make sure I get the purchase right as I won't be upgrading for a while!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
get some skiboards, the thinking persons ski's
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yikes! don't think I'm after trying anything new! Love skiing, just rather lacking in guts!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spanner07, Albeit, i hate 'Skiboards' thay can be great for improving confidence, i could be worth hiring a pair for a couple of days to see how you get on, the point here being build up some confidence and slowly increase the length of the skis. Ski boards are a means to an end, once you can use them, get back on skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mmm, not sure to be honest, have tried some before and didn't get on with them! Not a smooth ride at all, so certainly not a purchase option!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spanner07, you could also look at short skis, different from skiboards (commonly knows as Blades). They feel more solid underfoot, more like skis than blades. There was a discussion here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11455. There's no special merit in getting into longer skis if you are staying on piste. Shorter is easier. It can obviously be less stable, at speed, but that depends on the ski. I can go pretty fast on my Decathlon short skis without feeling unstable (they are much easier to stop quickly on than skiboards/blades are). They are hefty and quite wide. You can get off the side of the piste in them, too, which doesn't really work on blades! Nervous beginners who have visited our place in the Alps, and borrowed them, have all liked them but good skiers can do clever things on them - jumps etc. They are really versatile, and inexpensive. Atomic do some, 120cms I think they are, and they come highly recommended by our local ski shop who reckons they are a lot better than the Decathlon ones. I wouldn't know, I haven't tried them. Might be worth hiring a pair. Good luck in your search snowHead and welcome to Snowheads.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spanner07, welcoe to snowHead!

Forgive the blatant pimp but I have a pair of Head Monster 72s in a 156 cm length for sale at the mo, 05/06 season with Salomon S810ti bindings (IIRC), only done about 25ish days and have been serviced since last used. They're currently sitting in Kent. I enjoyed them a lot and they did wonders for my confidence after I scared myself silly one day trying a Völkl 5*. I tried a Burnin Luv as well and found the feel fairly similar to the Head but less involving so if you like the Luv range, Head skis could be well worth considering too. They handle transitions between snow types really well, handle ice great and have decent enough float in powder for playing down the sides of pistes and even a little further afield. I'm 5'6" and 66kg so much the same sort of stats as you so they could well suit. I simply found I didn't use them at all last year because Father Christmas brought me a pair of Scott Rosas at Xmas and I got a good deal on Head Fast Thangs in the end of season sale in 06 and those two cover every possible eventuality for me. PM me if they're of any interest
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spanner07, my wife is an intermediate with nervous tendancies (after some pillock stacked into her a few years ago) - she bought a pair of True Luvs last year and hasn't looked back - compared to hire skis she's knows how the ski will handle.

They're easy to ski and have given her a confidence boast she needs - they're wide enough to dabble in powder and forgiving enough to give you that confidence.

Hope that helps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi,
wow, thanks for all the replies! Think I will def stick to regular length skis, I love skiing on them, I just need something to give my confidence a hand, but need something that will respond when I'm having a good day and that will be forgiving for when I'm not! Also, I hope to improve so want a ski that will stick with me!
Think I will aviod the Head ones, not sure they are the ones for me from what I've read, but thanks for the info!
Thanks 5stitches for the info, was taking a look at them too. Apologies if this is a stupid question but although I've read the specs and can see the diff, I'm not sure what that really translates into on the piste. Any suggestions? The One Luv seems to be a higher level skier one, does that mean it will last me for longer as I improve, or does it actually not make much difference, so long as its a ski you're happy on?
Thank you!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go to one of the Snowdomes and ask in Ellis Brigham to try a few pairs, They are quite happy to do this and will even come out after an hour with another pair of skis so you can try 2 pairs in 1 session. This doesn't cost you any extra over the normal charge of skiing in the dome. alternatively there are a few demo nights being organised at EB round about now where you can go and try LOADS of skis, I know the Braehead one is in 2 weeks time but not sure about near Leeds.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ah, that sounds ace! Shall give castleford a ring and see what they say! Great tip, thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spanner07, spend the money on lessons?

Not trying to hurt your feelings - but perhaps spending dosh towards a holiday with some intensive coaching might deal with the nervous element? Then you might want different skis... I am also unconvinced that testing skis inside a fridge (much as I love them) is anywhere as useful as demoing in resort.

Welcome to snowHeads btw snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,
No feelings hurt! I think its a good idea, but have always hated lessons when I've been away, always have felt pushed into attempting black routes that although I have completed, I have found too steep. The result was not increased confidence and over the years I feel that my technique has suffered due to this. Am thinking of having a couple of lessons at the snowdome, although I realise that they are restrictive, I think because of that I will feel more comfortable learning as I know I am confident with whatever they may throw at me there! (I'm not claiming any logic here!). Could also do with them as I learnt to ski with straight skis, so suspect my carving technique could be shakey at best! After this I think I will be in a better position to demo skis! But would like to go in with an idea of what skis I'm thinking of so can check out prices/ebay etc!
Thanks for the welcome too!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
spanner07 I am also unconvinced that testing skis inside a fridge (much as I love them) is anywhere as useful as demoing in resort.

Welcome to snowHeads btw snowHead

I agree to an extent but it gives you a feel for the ski if thats all thats available. The first few sets of skis I ever demoed in a snow dome felt no different to the hire skis I'd always skied on, I tried more then found a few that felt more "fun" than anything I'd skied on before. I reckon most skis now are pretty good and rather than there being a perfect ski for you, there are probably quite a few that most people would get on well with, trying in a snow dome lets you narrow the list down. Its also quite useful to give you an idea of the shape of skis that you like ie. very straight, curvy etc. All this is given from a not very experienced skier who had no idea about the difference between skis befre demoing so I think it helped me a lot.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spanner07, to be honest my wife was unsure between the two and it came down to the fact that the True Luvs were only £150 from Sport conrad, so we took a punt with them as it was cheaper than hiring skis for two ski trips and if she hated them she'd use them for a season then we'd have to upgrade them.
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
spanner07, welcoe to snowHead!

Forgive the blatant pimp but I have a pair of Head Monster 72s in a 156 cm length for sale at the mo, 05/06 season with Salomon S810ti bindings (IIRC), only done about 25ish days and have been serviced since last used. They're currently sitting in Kent. I enjoyed them a lot and they did wonders for my confidence after I scared myself silly one day trying a Völkl 5*. I tried a Burnin Luv as well and found the feel fairly similar to the Head but less involving so if you like the Luv range, Head skis could be well worth considering too. They handle transitions between snow types really well, handle ice great and have decent enough float in powder for playing down the sides of pistes and even a little further afield. I'm 5'6" and 66kg so much the same sort of stats as you so they could well suit. I simply found I didn't use them at all last year because Father Christmas brought me a pair of Scott Rosas at Xmas and I got a good deal on Head Fast Thangs in the end of season sale in 06 and those two cover every possible eventuality for me. PM me if they're of any interest

This is a good opportunity to get a good ski for a bargain to start out.
If I were you, I'd send her a pm.
snow report
Hi,
thanks for the tip! I guess I'm worried about spending £ on a good deal and then finding they aren't for me, not such a good deal then! How on earth do you go about choosing a ski, esp when I pretty much want a magic forgiving but not floppy ski that will help me get my confidence back?!
Shall pm her though, would hate to miss out on the right skis at the right price!
snow report
sorry, thick question, how do I pm someone?!
latest report
Go to send/read messages by following the link under the SnowHeads logo at the top of your screen.
latest report
spanner07, I noted your posting about having lessons.. Have a look at Bobski ski courses (google bobski or I can dig out the proper address) He does courses specifically for nervous skiers and I can vouch for the fact that he is fantastic. Bob never takes you anywhere steep , believing that the skills you need to learn to ski steeps can be obtained on easier slopes and won't wreck your confidence. he is a lovely lovely man and has a lot of courses between Jan and march next year. If it wasn't for the cost I would go every year.
ski holidays
Wow, that course sounds really good, just googled him. The idea of developing good technique without terrifying yourself on steep slopes sounds great! Unfortunatly £ can't stretch to it this year, but shall absolutly def. be saving up through next year for one at the end of the year. Sounds like just what I need!
Thank you loads for pointing me in the right direction!
snow conditions
spanner07, I have K2 One Luvs and I really like them. I'm a bit smaller and lighter than you and would call myself a lazy (rather than nervous) intermediate. I think with your height and weight you should go for the 160s but like people said, demo them at EB first. They are a really nice ski on piste though and I demoed quite a few before picking them. Off piste I am a bit rubbish rolling eyes (OK, Wengen people, a lot rubbish NehNeh ) but I think they were not bad there either. I don't think you will go wrong if you buy them.
latest report
spanner07, I am 5'10 and ski on 160cm K2 One Luvs. Like you I am a nervous intermediate despite skiing for over 10 years and spending a fortune on lessons - love skiing but a complete coward! I chose the 160cm length (rather than 167cm) as they give me more control rather than speed, which is eactly what I was after. I have no regrets buying them...

I would also recommend buying in resort - you can try out as many skis as you like for a day or 2 before buying. I've been to the Milton Keynes SnowDome and it's rubbish for trying out skis (too busy and the run is short)...
latest report
spanner07 wrote:
Hi,
No feelings hurt! I think its a good idea, but have always hated lessons when I've been away, always have felt pushed into attempting black routes that although I have completed, I have found too steep. The result was not increased confidence and over the years I feel that my technique has suffered due to this. Am thinking of having a couple of lessons at the snowdome, although I realise that they are restrictive, I think because of that I will feel more comfortable learning as I know I am confident with whatever they may throw at me there! (I'm not claiming any logic here!). Could also do with them as I learnt to ski with straight skis, so suspect my carving technique could be shakey at best! After this I think I will be in a better position to demo skis! But would like to go in with an idea of what skis I'm thinking of so can check out prices/ebay etc!
Thanks for the welcome too!

Having taken some lessons with Easiski and tagged along on a few others and with the lesson takers after lessons I'd suggest you try her.... Also the summer skiing there is very well priced and would be great for getting over nerves...

For what it is worth I'm the world's biggest chicken (or was) re skiing.... I was unable to sleep the day before my first lesson and had similar issues before any change of resort/instructor until not that long ago... I also squawk very much when I ski even now... So I speak from experience with the lack of confidence stuff...(Ok I have a sort of reason for the whole thing but still)
snow report
little tiger wrote:

Having taken some lessons with Easiski and tagged along on a few others and with the lesson takers after lessons I'd suggest you try her.... Also the summer skiing there is very well priced and would be great for getting over nerves...

spanner07 I would very much endorse little tiger's suggestions. My wife is certainly not an intermediate but very nervous beginner and easiski's teaching style is ideal. I have heard so many snowHead 's singing her praises particularly for the less confident skiers and have first hand experience this year. You may wish to have a look at her website it's www.easiski.com - I hope you find t his helpful.
ski holidays
Have you owned skis before?

Have you tried women's skis before?

got my own skis don't even know exactly what sort they are, but have found having my own so much better than hiring them, maybe because they are womens skis. I'n only 8.5st and it's only since I got these skis that I realise that skis actually bend. Like someone said earlier you only have to use them for a season and they're paid for.

A friend who was a very nervous skier swapped blades for a few years and just last year swapped back to skis although she went for the shorter length and she now has so much more confidence and can keep up with us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy