Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal Valley - New Link Kaltenbach-Hochfugen

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been several times to the Zillertal valley in Austria, and enjoyed it greatly. Although Mayrhofen is the best known resort, there are several other towns in the valley (all covered on the Zillertal skipass) which have their own ski areas, such as Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach. In fact I know the head of the skischool at Kaltenbach, Gerhard Wildauer, having first met him when he and some of his colleagues were at a Tirolean Ski Week at the Tamworth Snowdome organised by the Austrian Tourist Office a few years ago!
Some of the best skiing in the Zillertal valley is at Hochfugen, but until now it has been quite time consuming for people without a car to get to - you had to catch the Zillertalbahn train (free with the skipass) to Fugen station and then catch a skibus for the half hour trip up a windy road to Hochfugen. Gerhard told me a few years ago that there were plans to link Kaltenbach and Hochfugen. Well now the link is in place for this coming season, see www.hochzillertal.com
This should be a welcome addition to the ski area of the Zillertal.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off to Mayrhofen next Feb, so does this mean I only need to get the bus to Kaltenbach to access the linked skiing? If so, is it far from Mayrhofen?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hayley t, Yes, my understanding is that once you get to the Kaltenbach ski slopes, this now links with the Hochfugen slopes. I have only travelled on the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway from Mayrhofen to Kaltenbach, not the skibus. The train travel is free with the Zillertal skipass (more room and more pleasant than a bus in my opinion). The journey from Mayrhofen station (which is also where buses depart from to go to places like the Hintertux glacier further up the valley) to Kaltenbach-Stumm station is just under 30 minutes. From the station it is then about 300 yards walk to the (signposted) Kaltenbach gondola basestation. En route the train stops at places like Zell am Ziller, which is also worth a visit, both for sightseeing and its own ski slopes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy