Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is the real home of skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, REAL skiers ski in Scotland.
Skiing originated in Norway
Downhill Skiing in Switzerland
In France it's Chamonix
etc etc etc Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin wrote:
Well, REAL skiers ski in Scotland.
Skiing originated in Norway
Downhill Skiing in Switzerland
In France it's Chamonix
etc etc etc Very Happy

why Chamonix
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, I read a book that says Chamonix was the first downhill skiing location in France, I can't say which book 'cos the book is over in Montalbert snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Originated in Norway for sure but the Arlberg defined technique, popularised the sport. I vote Arlberg.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowsports History: Time-Line

A complete list of all the catalytic events and happenings that have made skiing, snowboarding and the Ski Club of Great Britain, what they are today.

Skiing and Snowboarding Events
The Ski Club Of Great Britain Events

2500 BC - The Rodoy Carvings above the arctic circle in Norway show a man on long runners with a hunting implement.

1000AD - First written account of skiing ‘The Viking Sagas’

1206 - Norwegian civil war – 2 scouts carried the infant heir to the throne 35 miles on skis. The ‘Birchleg Race’ commemorates this.

1523 - Gustav Vasa made a trip on skis in Sweden to raise an army against the Danes. The Vasaloppet Cross Country race honours this.

C18 and C19 - the Norwegian and Swedish armies used skis for winter warfare. They had 2 skis one long ski for gliding, the shorter one (ardour) to brake and climb which skins could be applied to.

Late 1830s - skis introduced to USA by Scandinavian immigrants in the upper Midwest.

1840 - The Norwegian army began to hold cross-country ski races.

1868 - Sondre Norheim ‘Father of Modern Skiing’ broke all the jumping and cross-country records at a tournament in Christiana ( Oslo). He added a willow strap around the heel and contoured his skis to have a slight waist in the middle. The new techniques were called ‘Christiana’ and ‘Telemark’.

1874 - Tommy Todd first unofficial speed record of 85 miles per hour

1882 - First Hickory Ski – thinner more flexible ski.

1893 - H. M Christiansen built first 2-layered laminated ski

1903 – Ski Club of Great Britain was formed

1905 – French Army produced first Telemark Ski at Briancon.

1905 – The Ski Club Year Book was started

1912 – notice sent from the Ski Club to hotels in the alps about the danger of avalanches

1920s – early snowboards were reported

1920 – post WWI the Ski Club became active once more

1921 – Arnold Lunn organised the British National Ski Championships at Wengen
and
The Ski Club persuaded Zermatt, Wengen and Murren to use their railways in winter - the first ski lifts

1922 – Arnold Lunn set up the first modern slalom in Murren

1923 – The Ladies Ski Club was founded
and
the oldest ski museum Skimuseet i Holmenkollen opened in Holmenkollen

1924 – The Kandahar Ski Club was founded
and
the International Ski Federation (FIS) set up, first Winter Olympics were held.

1925 – Development of services for members , introduction of snow/weather reports in the National Newspapers

1926 – Ski Club sent an appeal for downhill and slalom racing to be recognised.

1928 – British rules for downhill and slalom provisionally approved by FIS
and
Rudolph Lettner of Salzburg introduced segmented steel edge for skis
and
Aluminium ski prototyped in France.

1928 – First Ski Club Reps sent out to the Alps.

1929 – The Pery Medal was announced for the most notable contribution to skiing.

1930 – FIS accepted the Ski Club rules for slalom and downhill.

1931 – Ski Club organised first World Downhill and Slalom Championships at Murren

1932 - Bjørn Ullevoldsaeter invented the first successful 3 layer ski

1936 – Arnold Lunn persuaded the International Olympic Committee to include downhill and slalom.

1939 – film showing Vern Wickland riding a primitive snowboard down a Chicago hill.

WW2 – the yearbook continued to be published

1944 - Cellulix, the first cellulose plastic bottom, for Dynamic skis in France

1945 – Ski Club moved from Hobart Place to 118 Eaton Square

1948 – Donale Gomme a member produced the Gomme – it had 3 different material layers

1949 - Howard Head's plywood-core, pressure-bonded aluminum Head Standard with continuous integral steel edge the most commercially successful early metal ski.

1955 - Kofler introduced the first polyethylene base.

1959 - Fred Langendorf and Art Molnar, in Montreal invented first successful plastic fiberglass ski.

1963 – 1 st Reps Course held in Sauze d’Oulx

1964 – Sherman Poppen built the first snowboard, ‘Snurfer’ 1.20m long plastic plank: two kids' skis bolted together, a present for his daughter Wendy - went into production in 1965

1964 – The Ski Club helped found the National Ski Federation of Great Britain.

1970 – Dimitrije Milovich formed ‘Winterstick’ the first snowboard company, the first models had steel edges

Early 1970s – first Ski Club holidays for families

1972 – The Yearbook became Ski Survey

1976 – Winterstick made the first swallow tail board

Mid 1970s – Family Holidays were called Skiing Parties with a Purpose.

1977 – Jake Burton founded his own company ‘Burton Boards’ in Vermont. The ‘Snowboards’ were flexible wooden planks with waterski bindings and cost $38.

Late 1970s – introduced adult and over 50s holidays.

1977 – Tom Sims a former skateboard champion started to produce snowboards.

1977 – Bob Webber developed the famous Yellow Banana’ board made of polyethylene.

1979 – Paul Graves at the annual Snurfer contest in Michigan produced 4 sliding 360s and a front flip

1979 – First Half Pipe was found at Tahoe City

1980s – improved ski holidays for the British and formed the Information Department

1984 – James Bond rode an early snowboard in ‘A View to a Kill’ Tom Sims was the stuntman.

1985 – Jose Fernandes (Switz) first European snowboarder to compete in the USA
and
‘Absolutely Radical’ the first published snowboard magazine
and
Return of the steel edge to snowboards

1987 – European manufacturers designed asymmetrical boards
and
1st Snowboard World Championships in Europe at Livigno and St Moritz.

1988 – Peter Bauer won the 1 st International Snowboard World Cup.

1990 - Elan and Kneissl built prototypes of deep-sidecut "shaped" skis – the start of the carving revolution
and
The ISF was founded.

1995/6 – launched the first wintersports website www.skiclub.co.uk

1996 – Incorporated Freshtracks into the holidays programme.

1997 – Ski Club moved from Eaton Square to Wimbledon Village
and
Ski Survey became Ski and Board

1999 – World Snowboard Speed Record of 201.907km/h set by Darren Powell in Les Arcs

1999 – Ski and Board was redesigned

2000 – www.skiclub.co.uk became an interactive site

2004/5 – www.skiclub.co.uk was redesigned
and
Ski Club Holidays was re-branded as Ski Freshtracks

2005 – New green and grey jackets for Ski Club Reps after 12 years of blue and yellow.

2006 – The Ski Club launched www.SkiTV.co.uk, the first dedicated snowsports internet TV channel.

From ski club website
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
redrunmarcus, thanks for posting that.

Should the launch of snowHead be edited into that list? Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have to get my moneys worth somehow that was very interesting and most informative Puzzled Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You missed one Shocked Embarassed

founding of the ultimate snow site......

snowHeads Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you think the Ski Club will add it if we petition???????? Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not sure that there's a correct answer though I do believe that Arnold Lunn probably did more than any other person to popularise the sport of Downhill Skiing, I would hazard a guess that purely downhill skiing started in Wengen, simply because that was the first place (as far as I can find) that opened up its train service in winter specifically to carry skiers up the mountain so they could ski down and in Wengen as opposed to Zermatt or Murren that railway gave skiers a really decent uplift and run length, prior to this inovation people had to walk or skin up the mountain to be able to ski back down. However skis were invented somewhere in Scandinavia in the pre historic time and certainly skiing in various forms existed as a sport and recreation well before downhill skiing took off
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
redrunmarcus wrote:
Do you think the Ski Club will add it if we petition???????? Cool
Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

2006 – The Ski Club launched www.SkiTV.co.uk, the first dedicated snowsports internet TV channel.

2012 - still waiting for its first paying viewer
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redrunmarcus, they missed one
Quote:

and
Ski Survey became Ski and Board

Should read

and became a far more commercial organisation.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2003 - Ski Club pretends to go green
snow conditions
Chalet CPD, La Via Lacrou, Serre Barbin, Monetier Les Baines, France!
latest report
How can anyone publish the highlights of the history of SKGB without mention of David Goldsmith Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, David Goldsmith is just another one of Arnold Lunn's sock puppets. Toofy Grin
snow report
1924 Chamonix hosts first winter Olympics,
mind you I bet the ancient Greeks held their games in the Winter.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
davidof, I read a book that says Chamonix was the first downhill skiing location in France, I can't say which book 'cos the book is over in Montalbert snowHead

ahh, that's wrong, the first place downhill skis were used in France was Chamrousse (the Recoin to be precise).
latest report
im with scotland-for obvious reasons! Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin, at least you got the "Cham" right Laughing
ski holidays
Is it not La Rosiere?
latest report
rob@rar, no you are getting confused. La Rosiere is "The home of real skiing" Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, no you are getting confused. La Rosiere is "The home of real skiing" Very Happy

Thanks, I knew it was something like that.

Wink
ski holidays
There is really 2 questions in the title I suppose. Yes history will give us who invented skiing etc, but what I really meant was what nation really has skiing at the heart of its society? Making it all the more special when you visit. I have not been lucky enough to ski in the USA, Japan, Canada, or the Nordic regions, but out of those four I would say the last 2 countries qualify more than the USA or Japan. Places where I have visited I would say Austria it is ingrained into their culture whereas France it is not!! Does anyone else have an opinion? wink
snow conditions
dk100, I'll get flamed for this Toofy Grin
To the French skiing is an industry
To the Austrians it's an excuse to drink
To the Swiss its an excuse for great engineering
To the Yanks its a way to make money
To the Italians its another fashion market
To the Bulgarians it's another timeshare opportunity
To the Aussies its still a mystery Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, lol snowHead wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Nice one Laughing
ski holidays
To the Montalberians it's something they do further up the mountain Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin, and for the Brits?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
To the Montalberians it's something they do further up the mountain Laughing

Oooh, harsh!
latest report
 brian
brian
dk100, while skiing in a quiet backwater of Switzerland last season, we noticed the restaurant seemed unusually busy one lunchtime. The reason turned out to be everybody packed round a big screen watching world cup downhill. When the Swiss Didier Cuche took the lead, the place went nuts, and there was corresponding misery when he was narrowly beaten by one of the Austrians.
snow report
brian, Is that a nomination for Switzerland then?
snow conditions
The question was: Where is the real home of skiing?
Not where has skiing lived, stayed and generally kipped on the sofa in the past.

As far as I'm concerned British Skiing moved home on 5th Feb 2004 and is just settling in nicely snowHead
snow report
http://www.skiworldcup.org/load/history/index_3.html
snow conditions
I don't know, but in my street it is....My House. Very Happy (I think)
ski holidays
brian wrote:
dk100, while skiing in a quiet backwater of Switzerland last season, we noticed the restaurant seemed unusually busy one lunchtime. The reason turned out to be everybody packed round a big screen watching world cup downhill. When the Swiss Didier Cuche took the lead, the place went nuts, and there was corresponding misery when he was narrowly beaten by one of the Austrians.

You say that, but it was the same in all the bars where i was on the French/Italian Border when the tv was on and the skiing at bormio. Both the french and italians were treating it like a premiership football match.
ski holidays
Slightly biased having lived there for a year or so, but I really do think that Austria needs to be nominated, on the basis that yes it is ingrained in their culture. The scenes you mention Christopher, in France and Italy do happen in those countries in the alpine regions, but I would wager that the interest in Paris and Rome would be much less, and it would not feel like a premiership football match. Whereas I have always felt that for the Austrians skiing IS their premiership football. I've been in Vienna and Graz and Linz with skiing on the TV and people have been going nuts about it. Everybody I have ever met in Austria can name the top skiers in their squad, wherever in the country they live (I have walked into bars in Klagenfurt where I used to live and just asked the general populace 'who won today?' and everybody would know I meant the skiing), whereas I would not imagine the same would apply to Italians in Naples or the French in Marseilles?

Sorry, did I get a bit too impassioned with my argument there? Embarassed

Haven't spent much time in Switzerland so can't comment.

D
ski holidays
Deliaskis, I agree and get the impression that Norway may be the same, however having not been there it is difficult fo me to confirm..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy