Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steamboat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
thanks to many helpful snowheads, we're slowly narrowing down where to go next spring.
now considering steamboat on basis of easy terrain for our kids (six years old, three weeks' skiing, but only two proper weeks), direct flights to denver, altitude not too bad and pretty much snow-sure.

anyone have anything thoughts about steamboat? we're not looking for rowdy nightlife, we want to rent a condo, going last two wks of march?

cheers all in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
northernsoulboy, Steamboat's nice but not for 2 whole weeks. IMV you'll be driving right by the better resort, Winter Park. Why not do a week at each?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steamboat is split in two . The modern purpose built area (the Ski Area) and the old Town (Not walking distance) & its wide boulevard what you see in all the promo pictures.

Skiing is pretty much like the rest of Colorado. Runs for all sorts. Also they have liftline waiting times on signposts on the hill to help you plan.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernsoulboy, I've stayed in Steamboat for 2-weeks for 3 years running and in my opinion there is plenty to keep you occupied. Maybe if you're an expert and after mileage, but for a good intermediate I think there is a lot of variety and each day is different.

As stanton, says there is a downtown area, this is the old town and is a good 15 mins to the slopes, there are regular free buses though. Accomodation tends to be cheaper here, most of the restaurants etc are also here.

The ski area is a bit more pricey but still has plenty of shops and places to eat. I wouldn't say anywhere is particularly rowdy.

There's plenty of other things to do apart from skiing. In no particular order I would recommend

A day trip to the factory shops at Silverthorne
A trip to the Strawberry Park Hot Springs
Hot Air Balloon ride
Snow Mobiling

I would also recommend the Early Bird breakfast and the Dinner with the stars

If you're driving from Denver to Steamboat, I'd allow 4 hours and get a 4*4. If it snows really heavily Rabbits Ears pass will be closed and its a long detour. Don't forget that while the direct flight gets in mid-afternoon on body clock time that will be about midnight.

As you can probably guess we loved it there, haven't been for a while as our kids are younger and for the moment don't fancy the flights.

The Steamboat web site is pretty useful for info - Google Steamboat and you'll find it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For an intermediate - 2 weeks is fine. Better choice than Summit County, but I like Bode Swillers suggestion.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
northernsoulboy, I agree with Bode Swiller, Shocked

I would do a week at Steamboat and a week somewhere else .
We did a week in Aspen last year and it was enough. If we'd stayed any longer I'd have wanted to ski another resort as we'd done most of what it had to offer ( and Aspen has 4 mountain areas). We do do some mileage. So it depends what you want from your ski holiday.
And as Boris, say's if it's snowing the I70 can be HELL. Long travelling times decent hire car essential.

Both BHM and I said if we went back to Colorado we'd fly into Denver, stay somewhere half way along the I70 then ski wherever the best conditions were that day or just tour round the areas.

Minx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Northernsoulboy,

Big fan of Colorado as you know.

I loved Steamboat and could easily spend two weeks there.

More variety in and around Keystone, but snow better at Steamboat.

Although the travel time is longer have you thought about Japan.

Ticks all the boxes you outlined.

Overnight flight to Tokyo or Kyoto. Couple of days in one of these cities soaking up the culture and getting over the journey.

Then 2hr flight and 2hr transfer to Niseko area of Hokkaido.

Needs to be a 2-week trip, much like the western US.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Mike
Japan is on my to-do list but with young kids too far at the moment I think. Plus we've actually booked the flights to Colorado now, got them while they were cheap(er).
I like the idea of Steamboat, we won't get bored as at least half of the time we will be shepherding 2x6 yr old pax around the mountain!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the last two weeks in march is NOT the time to plan a trip to the boat. steamboat has a relatively low elevation at it's base for colorado. i can say with a high level of certainty that late march will bring warm sunny daytime temps and cold nights. the result? you'll run into a line halfway up the mountain with a freeze thaw cycle. rock hard in the morning and sloppy by 1:00 p.m.

steamboat is a great resort, great town and very good mountain. it has wonderful mid winter snow and imho the very best tree/glade skiing in colorado. the time to go is xmas to mid march.

if you want to visit the states in late march traval to a resort or town with a higher elevation. the key elevation being the base area.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rusty Guy wrote:
the last two weeks in march is NOT the time to plan a trip to the boat. steamboat has a relatively low elevation at it's base for colorado. i can say with a high level of certainty that late march will bring warm sunny daytime temps and cold nights. the result? you'll run into a line halfway up the mountain with a freeze thaw cycle. rock hard in the morning and sloppy by 1:00 p.m.

steamboat is a great resort, great town and very good mountain. it has wonderful mid winter snow and imho the very best tree/glade skiing in colorado. the time to go is xmas to mid march.

if you want to visit the states in late march traval to a resort or town with a higher elevation. the key elevation being the base area.

I personally rather like spring skiing, especially in trees where the sun does less damage. And it's often quiter and cheaper. As you say, have to time your movement around the mountain a bit, but it's no big deal. There are also resorts in the US that are not in Colorado. And are actually further north where its nice and cold well into April, even at lower elevations. My favorite postcard in Montana is a bunch of beaver-fur dressed ragged-looking locals holding a sign saying "Montanans for Global Warming" Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy