Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody, has anyone got any advice for me please.

I've been appointed organiser of a ski/snowboard trip for myself and about 8-10 friends for next March (we'll be going the 15th). Basically I'd like some advice on some good ski resorts (and preferably cheap!! most people going are students or recent graduates!). The last two years we've been to Morillon and Morzine and loved both (probably preferred Morillon but had better snow to be fair. Our group will be mainly beginners (or people that have skiied once or twice) so some fairly easy slopes, and areas that have good ski instructors would be a bonus!

Also I know it's early to say, but how's the snow looking for this winter? I had about 2 months of panic last year thinking it we were gonna have a snow-lesss holiday!

We're prepared to go pretty much anywhere across Europe, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, Oli.

p.s. apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oli, welcome to snowHead!

Consider Andorra for price, good beginner terrain, and they do a lot of instructor training there too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oli, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31374 I know they are asking about boarding, but a lot of the same criteria apply.

Personally, I'd look at Austria....but I'm sure others will try and persuade you elsewhere Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Magic, cheers thanks a lot, will take a look!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oli, Austria had excellent snow last year dispite naff snowfall accross Europe - we have snow now and skiing is already open. Have a look at Ski Amade, 45 mins from Salzburg airport. Ski Amade is a maassive area so there is something here for everyone. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oli, Have a look at Mayrhofen. There is a glacier up the road if all else fails but there is plenty of skiing locally. Great apres ski, good value accommodation and a wide choice of runs.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oli, Welcome to snowHead 's . I would second Andorra, Soldeu in particular. The nightlife is good and this is important to beginners as if they do not take to the slopes they can still have a good time. However have you told the novices that skiing is not particulary cheap anywhere! It is however a great holiday and they should look on it as such. Mayerhofen, Sauze D'Oulx, Livigno should also fit the bill.

If price is the overiding factor leave it for the week before you go and get a late deal with a TO. That week is around easter and it may not be so easy to get cheap deals but hold firm and check that side of it out. There are threads on here (somewhere, sorry cant send link!) that Bansko is very cheap cant give you difinative answer but if you get in touch with those snowHead 's and they can advise.

flangesax, I saw the advertorial in the SCGB magazine, and I am very tempted. You must love the place, how well are the villages connected. Is it possible to ski to all areas like the 3V or is it more like the PdS where you have to bus at some point? Or is there a lot of bussing between villages? I like to be able to ski to different places and make it a semi tour rather than staying on one hill!

Good luck and enjoy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

leave it for the week before you go and get a late deal with a TO

Late deal for ten people?! Have you ever tried getting a late deal for such a large number? (Genuine question.) I think you'd have real trouble getting a bona fide bargain.

Oli, find yourself a decent chalet-hotel package deal and you should get a group discount from one of the TOs. If you're looking for extensive easy slopes and good instruction virtually any of the large french areas will do. Even so-called dead resorts usually have a few lively bars so if there are that many of you you should be able to make your own fun. Morillon is not renowned for night-life so if that was okay then I wouldn't worry too much. Plenty of options in Austria & Switz too but probably best to avoid places like St Anton, Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt, as they can be expensive and suit advanced riders more than your level.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley, its a bit of both. Some mountains interlink - Zauchensee you can get to Flachauwinkl and Kleinal. Flachau you can get to Wagrain. Wagrain you can go on for miles! The buses go from village to village and are very reliable. Its a massive area, there is no-way you can do it in a week - we havent even done it in a season yet. Its beautiful though - loads of trees too! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax, You are are terrible temptor!!! It is definately on the list.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, No you are of course right. Did group of 12 to Selva HB for €600 ex Ireland. We normally take about 16 pax with us but as you say with those kind of numbers you have to book far enough ahead to guarentee heads on beds. As I stated I dont think it would be possible for 4 pax as it is Easter week afaic!!! I wouldnt suggest the French option for that group as you will need a pretty hectic nightlife.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oli, another vote for Austria from me. Although it isn't cheap (as say Andorra or Bulgaria) I would guess most places are actually a fair bit cheaper than France. Plenty of excellent resorts to choose from to meet your groups needs. Saalbach springs to mind, especially considering the snow hitting Austria at the moment bodes well for a good winter even in the lower altitude Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oli, I've set you a private message
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, go on - give it a go! We are off to Reiteralm (the mountain next door to Schladming) at the weekend to see the world cup. Season passes are valid from Saturday, skis are all prep'ed and ready to go - gloves and goggles purchased today - off we go! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley, do it! I spent 2 weeks last season in Wagrain, and found it one of the friendliest places I've been.
snow conditions
Hi Oli

How about Bansko Bulgaria. Slopes to suit all levels and a great 7km run back down into the resort at the end of the day (if desired) that is suitable even for beginners after a few days. Night life is ample and varied and at prices that dont break the bank. There is lots more info about Bansko etc on our website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy