Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

B'ham NEC Ski Show - 2nd, 3rd & 4th Nov

Poster: A snowHead
Myself & CEM have our respective tuning & bootfitting kit on the Fall Line magazine stand at the NEC so I've you're attending the show please drop in & say hello. Plus I'll have a tuning bench set-up for anyone who fancies a try.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be there bright and early on Saturday morning. I fancied the NEC and if I can get well fitted boots it will be worth visiting for that alone. See you guys then.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi spyderjon, so you'll be there too - cool Very Happy

Colin's doing me a foot measurement on Sunday, mind if I take some skis along for a tune too? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Plus I'll have a tuning bench set-up for anyone who fancies a try.

spyderjon, Not sure if I will be there Sat or Sunday yet but if I bring my ski's can I wax them? Little Angel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon looks like thee and me could be quite busy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, I've got a few pairs that could do with some fettling Toofy Grin Does the service include carrying them from the carpark?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll be there Friday not long after opening, am hoping to find a new pair of boots.
Wish i could have my old SX92 equipes back!!! Sad

Hope to bump into some of you guys
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hopefully Friday for us
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderjon, any idea what number the Fall Line stand is? I've managed to download the show floorplan. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hugh Jarse, stand 13.2 - from visitor's entrance go straight down the aisle & we're next to the Feature/Learn To Ski Areas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from the freestyle test - no-one there! See more of you over the weekend...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, ah, but the stand number may now be somehting else.... the location is correct but we may be 53.1 where 13.2 was located, the floor plan is not the best idea of scale

you can see my 4 metre flag on top of the stand from the door Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

fallliner, so that was a success then....was it just snowHead's who didn't turn up or was there just a lack of jibbers in general rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any snowHead 's popping along this afternoon? An unexpected window of opportunity has appeared in my diary....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arlberg wrote:
I'll be there Friday not long after opening, am hoping to find a new pair of boots.
Wish i could have my old SX92 equipes back!!! Sad

Shame, I will be there Sunday could have bought you a pair of those in grey in a 10 for a reasonable offer!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderjon,if I bring my skis to be tuned is there anywhere they can be stored whilst I check out the rest of the show ?
snow conditions
Was good to catch up with folk today.
ski holidays
Shades, Yep, I'll keep 'em on the stand for you.

veeeight, Didn't know you were there. Did we meet?
latest report
Spyderjon, thanks,just got to see if I can get my skis in the car now. rolling eyes
latest report
spyderjon, certainly did! Chatted about Whistler, and off-piste briefly.

The demos by BASI and the ESF are worth watching, purely from a geeky point of view.
snow report
See you Sunday. I will not be bringing any ski's for tuning or boots for fitting Can I still have a coffee and bacon bap Wink
snow report
I've just got back, and I thought it was a good show.

The obvious comparison is with Olympia. NEC charges £8 for parking. Ouch. Olympia cost me a hotel room, 2 tickets for a show and a meal out, 2 train fares and yet another favour owed to the grandparents of Eeyore minor. Double ouch.

The S&R / EB presence is much less at the NEC, which is all to the good. Many other smaller retailers, all friendly and willing to offer advice. No 2 retailers agreed on the answer to the burning question 'which skis for me?'

Lots of independent TA's and chalet owners.

A lot of bootfitting going on.

Some good bargains.

And the Fall Line Media stand, with queues of people hankering after the services of spyderjon and CEM

CEM sorted my boots out in a few minutes, then refused any offer of contribution to the beer-fund. What a star!

If the NEC was free - or even reasonable - parking, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
spyderjon, certainly did! Chatted about Whistler, and off-piste briefly.

The demos by BASI and the ESF are worth watching, purely from a geeky point of view.

veeeight, ah that was you. Sorry I just didn't connect you with your username.
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore, was that you with the little 'un in the push chair?
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore wrote:
If the NEC was free - or even reasonable - parking, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

I think the NEC make it up as they go along. At the recent Caravan & Motorhome show there very recently (I didnt attend), parking was advertised as FREE. Parking for Crufts is £7.

We also went to the Metro Ski & Snowboard at Olympia and paid £9 to park at Richmond and £3.60 each (I think) for the train.

I guess the only way for it to cost nothing is to run an International Ski & Snowboard Show from your local village hall Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Eeyore minor snowHead was with me, yes. 11½ months old and looking forward to 2nd trip to the Alps. Although I have a sneaking suspicion he'll go to the darkside and board rolling eyes. Especially as his Mum & Dad remain attached to 2 planks & sticks.
ski holidays
Myself & my OH had a very enjoyable afternoon at the show yesterday.

Spyderjon,thanks for taking the time to chat yesterday,I learned a lot about the "mysteries" of ski tuning.
CEM,cheers for the drinks,my OH enjoyed her 2 cups of wine.

Also took the plunge & finally subscribed to Fall Line.

Managed to make a free day of it too.
Thanks to admin for the tickets & leaving the show after 6pm meant there was no-one taking money at the carpark Very Happy
ski holidays
Attended the show Sunday morning. Met up with spyderjon, CEM, Fallliner, Alistair and Gavin From Elan.

Not to many people in the morning as I left just after lunch it was getting a bit full.Lots of Stands and Interesting things to see. Eating a fresh hot beef bap while watching the mountainboarders doing back flips over a land rover was impressive.
Watched one of Jon’s demo’s. The stand was busy all the time with mag subs,boot fitting and ski tuning going on.

Taking a credit card to the show was useful

Yes after 2 years of waffling I spent money.(also got new sunglasses and Goggles at a good price.)

Overall a good show. Thanks to the snowheads I met, Fallline mag for letting me dump stuff there, Gavin for a good chat about upcoming ski events and to Admin for providing the tickets. Also the ticket girl saying "cannot find any tickets under your name Mr Va.... oh err" was a great start. Very Happy
snow report
Dwarf Vader, Good to meet you. I should mention for other snowHead s benefit that your photo of Spyderjon's demo shows him working on my skis. As they had not been serviced for a year, and I have been a few times to Tamworth snowdome on them since there were quite a few edge burrs on them and Jon was less than complimentary about the state I had let them get into. Embarassed However, being suitably shamed I have bought some ski edge tools from Jon and promise to maintain the skis better in future. Toofy Grin
A big thanks to Jon for his demo, advice and free ski service. You're a star! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, I went today, got a free ticket from a friend.

To be honest I found it very disappointing indeed, despite catching up with CEM and spyderjon. There was too much flogging of last seasons stock at not particularly great prices and not enough displays of more up to date and cutting edge stuff. The fall line stand was the exception rather than the rule, in that it seemed to be doing a bit more to entertain rather than just trying to clear old stock, apart from a few choice bargains from spyderjon's extensive ski quivver.

I couldn't find any back country equipment, hardly any safety equipment, most of the clothing on show was fairly low end bargain basement stuff, there was a poor selection of sizes of the few things that interested me, no one selling (or giving away) promotional DVDs. Nothing to give you the 'wow' factor.

The whole thing had the feel of a ski related jumble sale to me.

I was fairly non plussed at having to pay £8 for parking, if I'd had to pay £11 on top to get in, I would have been very pissed off.

To be honest, you get a better experience wandering around the shops in almost any ski resort, especially Whistler, or even going to the new Snow and Rock store in Manchester.

On the plus side, the sausage cobs were tasty.

Overall, I would rate it as a fairly poor day out, and I couldn't recommend it even if it was free. Only for the really skiing obsessed - those who are worse than me. Shocked
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
I was fairly non plussed at having to pay £8 for parking, if I'd had to pay £11 on top to get in, I would have been very pissed off.

How come you would have got a quid discount?.

We went on freebie tickets too but still had to fork out 20 quid on car parking and kids tickets....a joke really. But in the same vein if we had forked out the full 56 quid for the priveledge of buying stuff at the same price as it is in local shops I too would have been less than chuffed. Must make that same mental note to myself as I have done every year since it stopped being the daily mail ski show not to bother next year....unless we get free car park tickets aswell!
snow report
Dwarf Vader, you were conned, that's not Jon it's his slimmer twin brother. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I was using a fisheye lens Wink
latest report
When the NEC started parking was always free. Somewhere along the line they obviously realised that charging for parking was money for old rope.

Did think about going to the show but glad I didn't having read the comments here
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Dwarf Vader, you were conned, that's not Jon it's his slimmer twin brother. Twisted Evil

He's half the man he used to be. wink
snow conditions
ollski, my mistake on the price.
ski holidays
I went to the show on Sunday with one main objective, to visit the Fall Line Media stand and see Spyderjon's tuning demo, which I did and was very pleased with that. wink Also subscribed to FLM while I was there. My secondary objective was to buy some HH base layers which was achieved with the help of Jimmy Green's shop just by the show entrance.

It was my first time to the NEC for the ski show and so was worth seeing, but I probably wont need to go again for a few years.

Thanks to Jon for the tuition, it was great, and to Fat Face for the Jägermeister too. Laughing
latest report
Another negative vote for the NEC show I'm afraid(and its my local) Didn't intend to go,but was lucky enough to win tickets from admin(cheers Very Happy )I have watched this show go downhill over recent years,to the point where I stopped going.A very poor cousin of its London equivalent.
Highlights....seeing spyderjon in action,chatting to the lovely Joanne of Mountain Sun(who sorted us out for the Atomic Boot Camp)and spending far too long trying on ultra expensive Spyder gear that I had no intention of ever buying wink
If you had to pay for entrance and parking I simply cant recommend it Sad As No1 son said,we should have gone to the Music Show instead.Now that was rocking Cool
ski holidays
snowskisnow
Quote:

Another negative vote for the NEC show I'm afraid(and its my local) Didn't intend to go,but was lucky enough to win tickets from admin(cheers )I have watched this show go downhill over recent years,to the point where I stopped going.A very poor cousin of its London equivalent.

the problem with the london show is that you pay your £15 to get in to a giant EB & S+R store, at least at B'Ham the independants are on show, mind you i would probably can the slope demos in favour of some high flying action of some kind Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM, but certainly on the Sunday, outside of hardware, the quality of the stuff that the independants were selling was very variable.
snow report
CEM wrote:
can the slope demos in favour of some high flying action of some kind Toofy Grin

Last couple of times I went,they had a big slope with top skiers/boarders pulling tricks.Also some champion gymnasts on the trampoline.All pretty impressive.Seemingly now replaced by a 'doughnut' ramp c/w 4 ESF guys preening themselves wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy