Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY - does this sound safe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Selva val Gardena again in February as a package.

However, I was having a look on internet to see if it can be done as a DIY for future reference:

Flight with Ryanair into Milan Bergamo, bus transfer for 29 euros return from Milan Bergamo airport to Selva val Gardena and my own accommodation which can be booked through the official tourist office site.

However, keeping in mind Ryanair's ability to cancel a flight at a second's notice, the fact that you are at the mercy of the bus company (will they turn up, will they not) - does this look safe to do as a DIY?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, It does not seem the closest airport for Selva. Verona or Venice may be better. How long is the bus transfer ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, DIY is never 'safe' - as soon as your travel arrangements go TU you're on your own. However, there's no particular reason to think that the bus won't turn up, assuming it's a regular service. Ryanair, on the other hand, will probably do whatever they like as usual.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
jb1970, It does not seem the closest airport for Selva. Verona or Venice may be better. How long is the bus transfer ?

Hi there, the transfer is 4 hours. Ryanair do not fly into Venice or Verona from anywhere local to me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done loads (well at least 7) DIY's now without problem.

How do you know you won't crash on your way top the airport and miss you're flight? Life's full of little suprises designed to keep you paying attention.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, Rail may be an alternative if the bus lets you down. Or hire car. Depends on flight times of course.

Innsbruck airport may be another possibilty.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was looking at DIY to Ortisei as a friend is working Bologna so we didn't need the combined tour operator package.
As it happens I found a cheap chalet to Arabba and my friend just won't use the flight part of the holiday (we'll meet up at the airport) but here's what I found...

There are 4 flights per day in and out of Bergamo (from stansted) - likelihood is that you should get on one of them.
There are 3 transfer buses on the Saturday...
http://www.terravision.eu/dolomite_transfers.html
If you miss one because of airline delays the TandCs seem to imply your ticket is valid on the next one.
If all else fails you can get a train to Bolzano and then a bus..
Buses Bolzano-Ortisei
http://www.sii.bz.it/en/benvenuti.php
list of timetables...
http://www.sii.bz.it/en/orari_download.php?zone=3
http://www.sii.bz.it/en/orari_download.php?quadro=350&da=2007-09-10&a=2008-06-20
look for Bozen Bhf - St Ulrich it's about 45 mins

Nothing of-course is guaranteed when DIY, but it's probably as good as you'll get.
Hamish
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

There are 4 flights per day in and out of Bergamo (from stansted) - likelihood is that you should get on one of them.

Why would JB1970 want to fly from Stansted? Ryanscare fly to Bergamo from Glasgow and JB1970 lives in Glasgow so I bet he wants to fly from Glasgow.

We flew Ryanscare from Glasgow last year, hired a car at the airport and drove to Arabba no problems. Was all arranged at the very last minute when BA let us down - original flights were BA aberdeen-heathrow-milan, but heathrow was closed due to fog for the week before we went. Took a gamble, booked ryanscare three days before our outward BA flight, betting it would be cancelled. The cost of the ryanair flights and a night in a hotel at bergamo was about the same as the outward ba flights. BA was cancelled, we got our money back and we went skiing -result Smile.

This year we are flying squidgyjet edinburgh-milan and driving to Arabba - flights were cheaper than Ryanscare and Edinburgh is more convenient than Prestwick (for us).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
XL are flying into Bolzano this year, Charter flight rather than scheduled.

I managed to pick up some literature from the Ski Show last week, which I'll put on later tonight, regarding transfers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave Horsley,
Embarassed Should have looked at where jb970 comes from.
I resolve hence forth to read before answering
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryanair flight from Glasgow arrives into Milan at 17.30 and the bus leaves at 19.40 (next bus is not until 10.35 the following day) - would this 2 hours be safe enough to allow for possible delay?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, What is the worst that can happen ? An unscheduled night in a Milan B&B and a day skiing missed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Latchigo, or a taxi ride you can claim back from the credit card company.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always find it far more convenient to hire a car, that way you are almost entirely in control of your own destiny.........
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never done anything other than DIY holidays and i've never had a problem.

Dave Horsley, I like your 'Ryanscare!' Another one of my favourites i've heard before is Fry-em-air. Laughing

On the subject of low cost airlines, I don't know about others but I find Fry-em-air to be the worst!! This year i've booked to fly with Air Berlin from Stansted to Munich. It was £70 return and i'm going to get fed which is unheard of on low cost flights. They're very good flight times too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy