Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
To cut to the chase, my friend does not want to go back to France after a bad time there last year. She has her heart set on Austria, are there resorts in Austria that will cater for competent skiers and beginners alike?
I've looked in St Anton but it is too expensive, I also saw some deals in Niederau but when I looked at the piste map there's sod all to ski! Having said that, If there are off piste lessons available km's of piste aren't so important.

Maybe I should try and convince her to go back to Tignes...

Thanks, Will.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will Stanton, Niederau is a family/beginners resort, it's where I learnt. St Anton is renowned for it's challenging pistes and lively Apres. To try and help you: what did your friend not like about Tignes, when are you going, and how much skiing experience do you have and what are you both looking for in a resort ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When we went to Tignes we made our holiday arrangements through the UCPA... I think the main aspect that put her off was the ski school; The instructors were French, and spoke in French all the time apprently, aswell as this there was no one else English in her class. I would like to do another week off piste, this must be possible in nearly all resorts....? I think for my friends some motorway blues and reds would be most confidence building.

Thanks, Will.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will Stanton, Ok, that is a shame as there are many English speaking Instructors in Tignes:

> Our very own Stewart Woodward - who would be worth dropping a PM to for advice

> Stuart Bernard, who was my Instructor last week at the Atomic Boot Camp in Tignes, and also last year for our snow works course http://www.skifocus.co.uk/action60.asp?p=32

> Phil Smith Snoworks http://www.snoworks.co.uk/

to name but a few.

Having said that; Austria is great, and although I am happy to go back to a good resort, which Tignes undoubtedly is, it is exciting to try somewhere new. Most Austrian Ski Instructors speak English, but if you are in doubt, you can always find out before you book your classes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will Stanton, yes, Ski Amade, 45 mins from Salzburg - massive area so you can take your pick where you want to stay. And yes, it is possible to get off piste lessons too. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski amade is a good option. Saalbach would be good for your friend - I presume that there are off piste opportunities there?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try B+B in the Montafon, its cheap, huge area, great skiing, very Austrian, but little nightlife, you can hear a garage door closing at 2 mile at 10PM.
http://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON&PageID=1&lang=199
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Greatly enjoyed St Johann in Tirol.

3 main ski Areas - St Johann itself 60K of mainly blue and red - good skiing for both beginner and intermediate, Waidring Steinplatte - 35K of motorway cruising - take as fast or slow as you want, some quite long, steep reds too, Fieberbrunn 40K of mixed ability runs, all linked by free ski bus.

On top of that St Johann is a genuinely nice village! (You may be able to tell that I liked it there, however it was good for one week, but not enough for more)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Will Stanton wrote:
I would like to do another week off piste, this must be possible in nearly all resorts....? I think for my friends some motorway blues and reds would be most confidence building.

Thanks, Will.

Lech is good..

hits the motorway blues & reds perfececlty, good for the over half and if you want (and the conditions permit) hardcore off-piste then get on the bus to St. Anton..

But it's not the cheapest place in Austria. I'm not sure why you say St. Anton is expensive I did a week there earlier this year for £500 including lift pass...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will, we were put off Tignes by the locals attitude as well. Mind you, if your original village was submerged and you were told that you are now in the ski trade rather than a farmer then you might be a bit grumpy as well! Did you ski Val d'Isere? Lots of motorways there.
Lech is excellent but pricey. St Anton is realy not the best for beginners. When my daughter was learning we went to Serfaus. It's now linked to the next door villages so the area is bigger. Just a bit further to drive, though. Worth a look I would say.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So I think at the moment I (we) are leaning towards Ski Amade, it appears to have a good variety of skiing to cater for our various abilites. I looked breifly at prices (Iglu) in Lech and St. Anton both were starting at 500+ for early january.

IncogSkiSno, I'll prob head out to Tignes on my own later on in the season. Ill bear in mind the english intructors.

flangesax, Thanks for the tip. Any idea which resorts in particular in Ski amade for off piste, Its a big place!

jbob, I'll look into Montafon, looks promising....

bertie bassett, How exactly!?

Thanks for the help everyone! Now I'm spoilt for choice....Also been informed we now want a log burning fire. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Will Stanton, I know for sure that the Radstadt/Alternmarkt ski instructors can get permission from the farmers to do off piste lessons. There is also an unbashed red running all the way down the Fageralm mountain. Im sure there are others - I suspect the quieter places can do off piste lessons moreso than the big places. Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will Stanton,

UCPA provide all included sports/adventures activities (I've used them for windsurfing and glider lessons... Great value for money..) but are not an "international" tour operator or ski school and as such are a (french) company aimed at and designed mainly for french customers.
So I am not surprised there was not much "support" for english speaking customers. Your friend should have been warned.
However, this is not a reflection on the resort itself. If your friend arranges her trip via a british tour operator and/or book her lessons in a school advertising bristish ski instructors, there should not be any issues...
That said (and I am French) there are plenty of good resorts all over the Alps, so it's good to try various ones.. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will Stanton, The gastein valley is also meant to be a tip for off-piste. Especially the area round Sport Gastein Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oasis13 wrote:
Will Stanton, The gastein valley is also meant to be a tip for off-piste. Especially the area round Sport Gastein Toofy Grin

oasis13, you're right, it's pretty good. There's a couple of off piste routes marked on the ski map for Sport Gastein but there's also a very good run off the top of Sport Gastein down to the Heilstollen. The run to the Heilstollen was on the piste map in the past but they've taken it off now for some reason.

If you're feeling really adventurous, you can take the train through the tunnel to Mallnitz and make your way west and up the south side of the Schareck (3123m) on the Molltaller Glacier. From there, you can ski all the way back to the bottom lift station of Sport Gastein. I was there last year and saw some loonies (and probably Snowheads snowHead ) skiing down from there and it looks amazing .. and tough going. There's also a few ways down off Ankogel too.

I've spoken to a few of the locals about this who tell me it's really great but im afraid my off piste skills need more than a little refinement to test it out.

Kersh
ski holidays
Hey! Thanks for all the help, I've narrowed it down to the Gastein and Obertauern areas. I'll make sure I let you know where we eventually go!
latest report
Hi,

Might be worth looking at kaprun (good for beginers) and zell am zee (ok resort for intermediates/ and a couple of black runs) At Kaprun there is a local hill and Glacier which is mainly suited to beginers but zell has a few more interesting runs. These two are seperated by a 10 min free bus ride.
Just another thought
Denise
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy