Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Third time lucky

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Back in 2003 Natives www.natives.co.uk reported:
Quote:
World Championships 2009
In case you haven’t already heard, Val d’Isère is bidding to host the 2009 FIS World Championships. After 150 World Cups & of course the Olympic Games in 1992, the resort definitely has the experience & the expertise, plus we also have the unique advantage of being able to hold the events on facing slopes less than 50 metres away. Val is up against Chamonix, St Moritz & Garmisch, so lets hope that it is third time lucky after the unsuccessful 2005 & 2007 bids.

The resort proposed Bellevarde and Solaise instead of the Ok - giving easy public access.

The FIS meeting in Miami yesterday came down in favour of Val d'Isère. more on the official site (down at the moment) .... http://www.valdisere2009.org/

And this in a US report in the Vail Daily .....

So it's finally back in France, first time since Chamonix in 1962......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry PG, I root for St. Moritzs,which with about 2 hrs drive, it's closer to where I live, and I wish to go and see a World Championship at last.
Can you beleive, never gone to see one live. Not even a single race.
But then I live near Monza, and I have never gone there during the F1 race days.
I hate the crowds...
More, some of my friends living in Monza, use to come out of the town during those days, because it's nearly impossible to stay there and have a "normal" life.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not quite on the same scale, but we're currently looking for houses and had spotted one in a village in saddleworth - we asked for an appointment to see it his weekend but were told that it wasn;t advisable as this weekend is the annual brassbadn festival and you won;t be able to drive anywhere in the area because of the sheer amount of people

hmmmm, formula 1 racing, FIS ski world cup or the Oldham & Saddleworth Whit Friday Brass Band Contests....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that, PG, and congratulations to Val d'Isere. Will there be more British spectators in town than French?

How did they clinch it? I've a memory that Killy - who had some influence in winning the 1992 Winter Olympics for Annecy - had some role in this.

Legend has it that Killy trained as a boy by racing the Solaise cablecar from its top station to the village. By current speed standards that might not be such a great challenge, but I guess in the days of relatively unpisted snow it was quite a rough ride.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Thanks for that, PG, and congratulations to Val d'Isere. Will there be more British spectators in town than French?

I read in Le Monde that Killy was involved too. He was brought in after the bid for the 2007 WC failed.

Lets hope they have some snow, especially after the huge expense of having their world cup race cancelled this winter.

Of couse La Face is the 1992 Olympic mens downhill piste so makes sense for an event as prestigous as the world championships. The start is from the funicular terminus if anyone wants to give it a go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, Out here in Vail everyone was obviously disappointed, as the 01, 03, 05, and 07 Worlds were all given to resorts in Europe, and a lot of people felt it should have been N. America's "turn" again. Also, much was made of the fact that Beaver Creek stepped in at the last minute to host Val d'Isere's race, which was cancelled due to a lack of snow.
But the revival of the Face downhill (I would say the most technical Dh I ever raced) is a good thing, and yes, there certainly will be great support for the Brits, judging by the times I used to race at Val d'Isere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy