Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski instruction cost in france (tignes) ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi,

off to tignes start of feb for a week and I fancy a few morning's worth of lessons either in a small group or as private lessons - hope to also go with a fellow skier to halve the cost of private lessons.

it seems from a quick look on the web that a 2-3 hour lesson will be in the 45+ quid range - even in a small group. this seems a little bit high ? or is this a typical cost ? I was hoping it would be the 30 quid mark.

I'm very much an intermediate - can get down many piste runs, (reds, smoother blacks) but with no style and dodgy technique. only get 1 or 2 weeks a year done.

cheers,

Gareth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatgaz, what ski schools have you been looking at? Those prices don't seem bad at all. One of the forum members here (stewart woodward) is an instructor with ESF in Tignes so maybe you could send him a Private Message to ask about prices.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, remember the prices are per lesson not per person, so if there are two of you in a £45 lesson it's only £22.50 each.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It a case of "you get what you pay for". If you want quality tuition from an experienced tutor in order to improve your performance and understanding then a professional fee needs to be paid. However as mentioned in the forum, if two people share the lesson the cost is much reduced without dilution of the tuition.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpine Logic, Good to see you're still around Alan!!! Very Happy How about contributing to Bend Ze Knees? We could always do with more professional opinions over there. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh Oh...bit of a high horse here....pros support me please....if you calculate how much it costs to train, live and pay for exams during the 7 years (at least) it takes to qualify and then look at how much a pro can earn in a season, a private lesson price of 50 pounds per hour is not much...if you get 18 full weeks work 5 days a week you are very lucky...it is physically very hard to teach 6 hours...9 - 5 with lunch break and water breaks, getting to and from meeting points....that is 27k pounds a season...and that may be the main source of income for the whole year.....one twist of the knee in a lesson you may not be able to work for the rest of the year.....if you want the best don't be mean...if you start your qualification process at 19 you won't be earning more than you spend until you are 26..then it takes about 4 years to get back what you already spent in training and "lost" income if you had chosen another career...7 years to qualify is 2 more than an osteopath and 4-5 more than a physio...with added risks...and i know osteos who charge 50 pounds for 30 minutes....teaching skiing is not done for the money...well I don't know any teacher who does that...even if you get a job working during the summer it usually just covers the costs
if you go to NZ or Chile to teach in the summer...I bet this post is going to stir up a few embers. Many pros I know could easily be working in other very lucrative careers, a ski teacher is a pro sportsprson, a pro teacher, and still needs management and customer service skills, has to take responsibility for their clients safety..legally and morally...if a computer salesman gives poor advice the customer might need to buy another PC....if we make an error we might get buried in an avalanche..along with you !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
€50ph min seems about right...and is about ESF 3v 2007 - (no idea what the actual instructors get of that though) rates but I have paid €65ph..these are for private lessons max three people.

I have sympathy for no one really..I work in an office so i can get the money to do what I want...its boring but I only have myself to blame..Ski instructor do what they want/like but get no money!!

Only the very lucky do what they like and get paid well for it...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You make your own luck ! I do nothing and get paid nothing - it's great !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
is that Krunchies theorum? Pretty efficient really at 100%. Nice one mate! NehNeh

Anyway, life is full of choices. People generally know before they start careers the financial gain from it.

My advice would be to get divorced and then you will never care about money again. Because no spend will ever get close to the fleecing you recieve. If you are female this rule doent apply wink

All the best Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
krunchie63, slightly off piste but how much do the instructors get from what the ski school charges?

I think a lot of the price difference in the mountains is between private instructors like easiski and big ski schools with big overheads to cover.

FYI my local dryslope charges £26 per hour plus equipment hire and slope time at £14. Milton Keynes charges £129 per hour plus equipment hire and slope time at £21. THe instructors are paid £7. I think the security guards get more.....

So you can either say you in rip off Britain or you are getting a great deal in the mountains wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

teaching skiing is not done for the money...well I don't know any teacher who does that...

The last time I said that on this forum I was accused of not being (a) professional................. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
krunchie63, If I earned 27K pounds per year I'd be thrilled - I don't even earn that in euros!!!

veeeight, Let's not go there again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easiski - what can I say ? I am sorry to hear that. From what i hear you clearly deserve much more ! Out of interest, how many hours do you feel comfortable working over 18 weeks ?
Skimottaret...i heard that about MK....incredible that someone will pay that....are they all Full cert ? I don't think so.
ref ski school percentages - that varies a great great deal. Ski schools take lots of group lessons - and quite large groups as you know - that will make up the profits but I can't take a guess at the average split I am afraid.

Chappers - I agree that life is full of choices trouble is I choose lots of things that aren't available - females particularly ! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
krunchie63 wrote:
Easiski - what can I say ? I am sorry to hear that. From what i hear you clearly deserve much more !

She certainly does deserve more but she doesn't charge enough Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy