Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to give the right advice...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So...my girlfriends dad (52years old, has been skiing for about 5 years, not much improvement in terms of style/ carvings skills limited etc.) wants to buy new skis, so i thought I would help him out. My dilemma however is that I think the skis he wants to get are too advanced for him. He has set his sights on the Atomic Metron 10 puls ti's (2007 model) I think mainly because I got the Metron 11 b5's last year and I raved about them all season. I am a fairly advanced agressive skier I would say, and I ski the whole mountain at high speeds, so this ski fit me perfectly, and was so quick edge to edge that it gave me a workout all of last year... anyhow, he is at the MOST an intermediate, carving skills are limited, he can get down any groomed run but he won't even go down any blacks and he has never skiied powder...technique is very poor and he does not seem to be improving at all, even with my input. Naturally I don't want to tell him this, but is this ski not a little too advanced for him? Atomic rates this ski (the metron 10 puls) as an advanced ski so my question is, will he be able to ski it? I'm not sure how to approach this situation, I have recomended other skis to him which I think would suit him better but he seems set on the atomics, which are quite stiff and you have to be quite an agressive skier to ski them....Any tips on how I should approach this situation because I do want him to become a better skier, but I also don't want him to buy the wrong equipment that does not suit his style....So the question is will be be able to ski the Metron 10 or should I push him to really consider something else?
Sorry about the long post, I just wanted to see what you guys thought...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not let him try yours?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like encouraging him to wait till you go away and then going somewhere that lets him try before buying would be good too.

Don't be too harsh on his lack of improvement - as long as he's enjoying his skiing that is the main thing surely. Maybe rather than focus on whether a ski is too advanced, why not focus on what a ski is designed for and persuading him to positively decide what his needs are & select accordingly - eg get him to actively seek out those for on-piste rather than off-piste.

I am certainly no expert, and am always seeking advice myself; earlier this year I was loaned some skis and on the face of it worried they'd be too advanced but actually they suited me fine - possibly because I'm not a skinny girl, so any extra stiffness in the ski was not a problem? It seems to be such an individual thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rmajor, two things leap out at me:

1. IMHO, with all due respect, unless you know what you're doing, giving advice on technique is generally un or counter productive. IMHO he needs to take some lessons (if he wants to improve. If he's quite happy at the level he's at, then good for him).

2. You might be right, you might be wrong about the ski's suitability. I don't put a great deal of stock into manufacturer's ratings other than rankings. The only way he'll discover whether he likes them or not is to try them. And if that's post purchase and if he doesn't...tears before bedtime.

2.5 IME most people I know find that they prefer skiing on skis that are described as too advanced for them. This may reflect manufacturer conservatism or something.

I don't know where you tend to ski (I presume he's in BC too) but I would expect that the shops in Whistler (or Grouse if I recall the local mountain's name?) will let him test a few pairs. Even better you may find there are permanent or organised test days where you can test all the skis that they have for a nominal sum or free.

In general, my advice would always be (and you'll find it echoed here I expect). don't buy until you try.

Other skis he might like:

* Volkl AC3 or AC4 (maybe even AC2) [these have a different name this year I think just 2 00s on the end but are identical so if he liked them then last years will be cheaper]
* Rossignol Zenith (similar sidecut ideas to the Metrons, slightly more forgiving I imagine)
* Elan Magfires
* Salomon Aero

And playing on lots of other people's skis is always fun!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 28-10-07 11:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The beauty about today's skis is that they aren't so defined in particualr skill-sets anymore.
A skier who has a few weeks under their belt can get on a quite advanced ski because the manufacturers play on a bit of vanity, call the ski advanced and tune them down somewhat.
Plus they are more turney anyway, all helps the skier...
This does bring us into that perennial 'what is an advanced skier' but the mere fact that it is difficult to define means the edges are blurred somewhat.

The only really important thing is ..can that skier get them to perform, can he get them to engage, bend them, load them, whatever,and if they can, then that ski will do ok....
In general, I always think, that a stiffer ski...as in too stiff for that skier... needs a lot more imput, than softer skis, so as long as the weight match-up is there, he should be ok on an awful lot of skis...

But, why don't you set aside a budget, talk him inot a lesson or two and then get him the ski as a reward for good behaviour or something. Get him to try a few, and buy which one he likes the best and can ski the best. His learning curve will be quite slow all things considered, so a good choice now should remain a good choice for a good few years.

One thing.... a skier with a few weeks is likely to break a ski more easily than an experience skier, as they will not be able to miss a few rocks and stuff that needs last minute evasion. the bases and edges are more likely to take a bit of punishment..!!!

Volkl are capable of taking a few base shots, IMV..but these is a limit..!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rmajor, What David Murdoch said, apart from the bit about the Salomon Aero.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seconded (about the Aero) Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll jump on board the David Murdoch post.

If he's interested in improving his technique, then a lesson is the way to go

As for the gear, it may be the best plan to get him enthused about demoing skis. Heck you may like it too. Start with a short list and go from there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advice guys,

I am also by no means an expert but I have had some good coaching in my early years (my dad was a ski instructor in Sweden) so that is why I feel 'confident' when I give him advice about technique which I believe is right....anyhow, about the skis, maybe as you guys say they will turn out right for him, and in terms of lessons, I don't really think he would want to do that...he's the type of person that would try to get it right himself as opposed to having someone 'teach' him how to ski..another thing is that I really think he wants to improve his skiing which is why something like a lesson, or the 'right' skis would be essential...We will see how things develop, but the only bad thing about this season is that im out with a torn acl so I can't do anything to help him on the slopes!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rmajor, "torn ACL" - yuck. Sympathy!

You could help him out by standing at the bottom with the video cam and a decent zoom lens? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps I could Very Happy which would at least mean that I would be at the mountain, enjoying the scenery.....by the way I forgot to add #3 to the torn acl....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy