Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche shovel in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Any issues with taking an avalanche shovel in hand luggage? Flying with BA from Heathrow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can't take nail clippers, I would have thought a large sharp piece of aluminium and something that could double up as a club might be a bit of a No-No Very Happy

Any reason you don't want to put it in your checked luggage?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, This is pure speculation on my part, but I STRONGLY suspect it would arouse misgivings* among the security staff Laughing

*possibly of the type that lead to intimate and unwanted investigations Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, If you're expecting the plane to be buried in snow I think you're doing the right thing. Insist on it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Flying BA, by any chance?

Mine's going in with my boots. If it wasn't tough enough to survive the loving carress of BAA baggage handlers I'd be dubious about its efficiency at moving debris.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickB, not taking checked luggage, just cabin bags and skis, so hoping that it will be acdeptable in hand luggage

I took a magnetic knife rack with me last week and as it looks like a 12 inch metal blade when x-rayed I put it at the top of my hand luggage so I could explain what it was when they opened my bag. If they had insisted I would have been prepared to leave it behind as it only cost a few quid from the supermarket. It went through security with any questions. Didn't have to open my bag to show it. Didn't have to explain what it was. I was amazed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cunners, Laughing I think I'd need something a little bigger than an avy shovel to dig out a short-landing plane Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i haven't been able to discern much consistency on this type of thing. a few years back, i was fine heading out with carabiners in my hand luggage. coming back the staff in nice airport took exception and i had to check them in. i was a bit mystified by this - maybe they thought i might throw them at the crew? or use them as knuckle dusters?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, could you try contacting the airport (and BA?) direct, and asking whether they'd let it through?

Mind you, even if they said it was ok, I'd be impressed if security didn't pick up on it...like NickB said, it does look like it could do some damage!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Might be safer to take a box just in case you need to mail it back if they refuse to let you through.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
An avy shovel will almost certainly be considered a dangerous weapon while the magnum of champagne you can buy in duty free or the perfume you can spray directly into someone's eyes is just fine. No one said paranoid air safety rules make sense.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the comments. I'll tell my brother-in-law he'll need to change is luggage plans
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
why not put it in with the skis?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, will a shovel fit into a ski bag? That would be a good solution if it fits.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
rayscoops, will a shovel fit into a ski bag?
Not unless it's an avalanche trowel
snow conditions
NickB, Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, I've never taken mine (a Black Diamond alu one with telescopic handle) as hand luggage (doesn't really fit around the boots Wink ), but several times taken it in my ski bag. Try it for size and see if it does fit.

First time I went to La Grave I wore my ski kit (incl touring boots) onto the 'plane, and all the rest of my kit for the week (harness, shovel, probe, changes of clothes etc) went into the ski bag and hand baggage. Was a bit of a tight fit but it was fine. Unfortunately I now seem to go with a load more clobber so that won't work any more. Sad
latest report
As mine has a snow saw which could take a leg off in 10 seconds hidden in the handle, I am guessing no in my case...

rob@rar, try it and report back Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
rayscoops, will a shovel fit into a ski bag? That would be a good solution if it fits.

seems so Very Happy
if in doubt borrow a board bag wink

NickB NehNeh
snow conditions
Seeing as my bag was searched by US customs for having a horse riding whip in my CHECKED luggage I would imagine that the snow shovel might be a no-no. In saying that, I did make it to a show in France last year with a scissors and a hoof pick in my handbag.
ski holidays
I had a caribiner taken off me at ParisCDG, as it was deamed a 'Knuckle Duster' despite the fact i could only put three fingers across it's span. Had i used it as such, i'd have broken most of my fingers.
snow report
rob@rar, I would expect your shovel to treated as a potentially dangerous implement.
It's interesting to note that shovels were often used in trench warfare as preferred weapons for hand to hand combat Shocked . From poets of the trenches:

"He also told me to swap my bayonet for a field shovel at any
given moment.
"When you're at close quarters, a sharpened field shovel can lob the head
off a mans shoulders. And it won't break or get stuck in the ribs like a
bayonet." Skullie
latest report
rob@rar, Although u may be attached to your shovel, why not just hire one. I doubt it would be more than 5 euros a day for a shovel! If that.

Oh and in response to your question I do not think they will let you take it on ... Talented Mr Ripley anyone! oars and shovels same difference!
ski holidays
I've thought about it a few times, but never wanted to risk it, for the sake of putting it in your main luggage vs hand and thus potentially loosing it, it's not worth the risk IMHO.

regards,

Greg
latest report
rob@rar, I've wondered about this... if you try it, let us know! (mine does usually go in my board bag thou !)
latest report
Bump

anyone tried this yet?
snow report
nbt, nope. I always assume that in the hands of grey-haired grandad, it could be deemed a Weapon of Mass destruction.
latest report
achilles, Ta. It's gone in the boot bag anyway. 2 Pairs of skis & shovel handle in a single ski bag too. If we get rumbled I'll put the "spare" skis back in the car, but since we're under the total weight limit anyway we should be ok - well on my bathroom scales anyway!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
will a shovel fit into a ski bag? That would be a good solution if it fits.

Mine does.
ski holidays
I assume you can take the handle off - at least put the handle with your skis.
snow report
snowball, thanks, as above the handle is in the ski bag with both pairs of skis Smile

Blade is in the boot bag
latest report
nbt, if you are in the weight limit, I can't see a problem. Have a great time.
snow report
rob@rar, I'd say no. Now dig yourself our of that one. wink
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
rob@rar, If you cannot take a tennis racket on a flight as hand luggage, then I doubt that a shovel would be allowed.
ski holidays
if it's a plastic one you could always dress it up as a hand gun as they seem to make it on and off flights with monotonous regularity...
ski holidays
just as an update, the blade went in the bootbag, the handle in the ski bag with two pairs of skis, and I breezed through without problems
snow report
Worth mentioning that issues of this sort depend on the AIRPORT not the airline. We found this out when travelling from Bristol with Ryanair, we had packed ski boots in hand luggage to save wight in hold bags. Ryan rep. in true friendly fgashion said airport security is airport matter not theirs (so f--- off, my interpretation). we did point out that a note to that effect on their website may have helped saving us repack but got more of the same.....
latest report
skivor, ski boots were explicitly banned from hand luggage at Grenoble when I went through this season. Not a problem with most airline's luggage allowance - but it sure is with Ryanair. Moral: don't travel with Ryaniar if you have much ski kit.
latest report
http://www.1world2travel.com/article.php?articleID=3278
snow conditions
I was checking in at Santiago last summer returning from a Snoworks trip to Latin America. I had packed my boots in my rucksack with the intention of checking the rucksack into the hold, but as there was some confusion about baggage allowances, at the very last moment at the check in desk I decided to carry my rucksack on board.

On the second leg of the journey from Madrid to London, it suddenly dawned on me that my rucksack also contained my shovel (Ortovox with detachable handle which would make a nice club), avalanche probe and Swiss army knife.

Whoops!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy