Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing + Apres?

Poster: A snowHead
For the last few years, I have been skiing with a group of 10-16 people, mostly blokes of about 30.

This year, numbers have dwindled a bit and we are left with two distinct factions - the "Wengen Massive" who go to enjoy the snow, pretty villages and a comfy chalet with lots of facilities (one even brought their mother along last winter), and a group of us who find outrageous apres-ski just as important as good snow and challenging skiing. We couldn't care less about the chalet.

About four of us in the latter contingent are looking to take our little splinter group somewhere in January. We've done St Anton and loved it, but is there anywhere better?

I've heard great things about Ischgl, but am I overlooking some great resorts?

Help me out Snowheads, where else should I be looking?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sauze d'Oulx ? Cheap and cheerful (but not really better than St Anton).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chalky, Les Deux Alpes.. las Vegas of the the Alps!! .. well it used to be until my mate Kev stopped managing Smokey Joes Crying or Very sad and became a maths teacher instead Puzzled

Little place called Kirchberg.. down the valley from Kitzbuhel.. only been once way back in 2002 (i think).. was full of Dutch and was the most drunken ski trip ever....I will never forget the Hoff lookalike in his skin tight pink jeans.. pure class.

How about Pas de la Casa... if you are looking to party.. they pour their alcohol measures by hand.. probably because they don`t make measures big enough Skullie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you like pikey nitelife, then Sauze d'Oulx, Livigno, Ischgl, Saalbach, Chamonix and Andorra are the places to head to.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, I'd sooner my nightlife ambitions were not thought of as "pikey", but you seem to have got the idea, thanks. Do these places have pleanty of decent skiing too?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chalky, I get the feeling some users on snowHead sometimes forget that living the dream involves an element of partying..

Kirchberg - gives you access to Kitzbuhel.. so you can do the famous Strief - Hannenkam... awesome run... will give you 5 euros if you don`t turn to slough off speed on teh way down... Toofy Grin

Pas de la Casa in Andorra is up in teh Pyrenees. It is now lift linked with the other Andorran areas to creat GrandValira.. very large area. Nothing hugely challenging.. try playing in the trees down at Grau Roig for a bit of fun.

Les Deux Alpes.. Europes biggest skiable Glacier so if the snow ain`t so hot in Europe.. you are guaranteed some white stuff up top. It has a fantastic terrain park in the summer.. they tend to however reduce it in size and move it further down the hill in winter. If you are at Les 2 alpes you can take a trip to the off piste mecca of La Grave. Speak to a guy called James to organise a guide/lessons through the European Ski School. He also runs a ski shop called Carrell Sports and a bar called the Secret. Top bloke as well... even if he is a BASI trainer wink snowHead

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 5-10-07 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chalky wrote:
Whitegold, I'd sooner my nightlife ambitions were not thought of as "pikey", but you seem to have got the idea, thanks.

I would lose 'Chalky' then. 'Rupert' is more Hooray Henry. There is no middle ground.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Verbier or Chamonix....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, good call.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamonix - personally never liked it from apres ski and skiing point of view - especially after somehwhere like st anton. Best to have a car to get around, most days ended up at Argentiere - by far the best skiing. Apres ski typcially french - well a bit better than normal but as usual expensive. I know some people love Cham but just not for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i loved verbier not only for the sickass terrain but the apres-ski was a blast. it all starts on the mountain up at col de gentaines around 3pm. there are great bars all the way down the main ski run from there to the bottom at medran. my favorites are the attelas sundeck bar and the geodesic domes near the bottom where they will have djs spinning until sunset. then at the bottom you have mont fort pub for some great times but its usually very crowded. lots of nice restaurants to recoup from the apres ski buzz, for a nice swiss style dinner try rosalp. also there is a great pizza place i can't remember the name of near rosalp. and then later at night, if your still alive, there are a few nightclubs that get bumping hard....most infamous is the farm club. le scotch is fun too. didn't check out any others. but if your not into the loud music scene go back to mont fort pub for a more chill scene. there are also plenty of smaller bars that are nice to hang out at as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl or Solden! Might well float your boat. However not cheap.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Petite Danoire wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chalky, one word. Verbier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chalky wrote:
For the last few years, I have been skiing with a group of 10-16 people, mostly blokes of about 30.

This year, numbers have dwindled a bit and we are left with two distinct factions - the "Wengen Massive" who go to enjoy the snow, pretty villages and a comfy chalet with lots of facilities (one even brought their mother along last winter), and a group of us who find outrageous apres-ski just as important as good snow and challenging skiing. We couldn't care less about the chalet.

About four of us in the latter contingent are looking to take our little splinter group somewhere in January. We've done St Anton and loved it, but is there anywhere better?

I've heard great things about Ischgl, but am I overlooking some great resorts?

Help me out Snowheads, where else should I be looking?

I would say, atay at home, Unless you understand the gemutlikeit ?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 5-10-07 22:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
johnboy, do you mean http://www.lepetitdanois.com/
ski holidays
Chalky, for apres, sauze but the skiing isn't that great and there are a lot of drags.

Livigno - skiing is better but it tends to revolve around very few bars. Big nights, just the same places.

LDA - seriously over rated for Apres. And in January it's 50/50 as to whether you'll be able to ski to the valley.

Zermatt could come out of left field. The scenery is spectacular, all of it.
ski holidays
Solden is pretty good for apres ski.
latest report
Chalky, VERBIER
snow report
Chalky, VERBIER..VERBIER... and thats from someone who lives in Morzine!
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
Petite Danoire wink
RAOFLMAO Laughing
snow report
Intereresting that there are so many recommendations for Chamonix, which I think has good nightlife but not great apres as it doesn't have many bars right at the bottom of the lifts. I've heard Verbier's good for this though, as well.
ski holidays
I'm not sure I understand apres ski. I haven't found anywhere that doesn't have a bar. Even Solitude (UT). If there's a bunch of my mates - or even me on my own with a book (Hunter Mountain, NY) I can have plenty of fun.

Much more critical is good skiing.

I would vote Chamonix, Verbier, Morzine...just cos I like them
ski holidays
I'd re-iterate what some others have said with ... Solden, Saalbach, or Ischgl. Am not sure I'd agree with comments about any of them being expensive. Compared to somewhere like Chamonix they're all positively cheap.

I think it depends on what you mean by apres. LDA for example has lots of bars, but it's very different to somewhere like Ischgl or Solden. Austria every time for me wink
latest report
Chalky, six of us did Saalbach for the 1st time in Jan. Was so good, there's 12 of us next Jan Wink
ski holidays
Mayrhofen or Sauze. Although you won't find Sauze terribly challenging, but good base for Sestriere and Montgenevre and if you have wheels Serre Che isn't far.
ski holidays
firebug wrote:
Intereresting that there are so many recommendations for Chamonix, which I think has good nightlife but not great apres as it doesn't have many bars right at the bottom of the lifts. I've heard Verbier's good for this though, as well.

Interesting, never thought of that, I guess the OP should define if his version of apres is straight into the bar from the slopes and dancing away the night in ski boots, or a swift couple after skiing, sh**, shower and shave and out for the night....

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
Ideally both!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chalky, Deux alpes everytime
ski holidays
Have a look at Are, skiing is only average compared to the Alps but nightlife is great.
ski holidays
mrtoastie, Shocked Shocked Shocked And how much has he or Jeremy contributed to Snowheads over the last 3 years??? rolling eyes

666, your percentages are way off unless you're talking about the green path - we can almost always ski to the town but it might be via an adventurous off piste black, the few pistes below are not really all that important. Last year it was the end of the first week of opening to be possible and I skied it with ssh on 29th april. OK not officially 'open', but skiable. Valentin was closed for 1 week in the middle of the season, but other routes were doable if adventurous.

Chalky, My experience is that Austria has more early evening night life and France has more late night life - mind you I never go out myself!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Speak to a guy called James to organise a guide/lessons through the European Ski School. He also runs a ski shop called Carrell Sports and a bar called the Secret. Top bloke as well... even if he is a BASI trainer

From my sources, he has been referred more to as an" opportunist rat" than a top bloke. These people have known him for a while though.......
snow conditions
anyone who doesn't recommend Ischgl for the things you require hasn't been there ... the apres there is is the best in the world bar none and the skiing is very good although maybe not for serious off pisty types (but is plenty ok for that when there's been a good dump)

it makes me snigger when people mention places like Verbier or Chamonix for good apres .. they haven't got a clue .. in the late afternoon/early evening any decent Austrian resort will make those places look like a vicar's tea party and Ischgl is the best of the Austrian apres
snow report
Chalky wrote:

As an allround resort with expert skiing St Anton is the best resort in Austria.

Other places such as .....

Sölden
Ischgl
Saalbach

....... might have more night life but the skiing isn't up to the same standards esp if you venture off-piste.

On the whole there are very few places in Austria where you can't get bladdered and dance about in ski boots after a days skiing. If the night isn't lively enough it's because you haven't drunk enough yet Wink snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy