Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Want to train for BASI, which ski course?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of taking some focused training this season. There a a number of companies out there offering courses. Main aim is to ski some more variable and off piste, also to train towards BASI. Looked at these:

www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com

www.inspiredtoski.com

www.alpinecoaching.co.uk

www.mountaintracks.co.uk

www.snoworks.co.uk

All look like they offer a good programme. Only inspired and Alpine seem to employ current BASI trainers (really need up to date info as I understand the system has evolved over the last few years). Any recommendations out there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd either snowworks or alpine coaching. Probably alpine coaching pete is a great coach.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
elbrus, arent you BASI qualified already? Certainly from other posts you seem to know everyone in the BASI system.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
elbrus, Why ask it as a question, when You already know the answer Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why the implied need to have BASI trainers on the staff?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, I know what I think. Asking what YOU think! What are peoples experiences in attending the courses listed.

If you want to work towards a BASI course, then you will seek BASI person. There are loads of other courses that are really good I would think. BUT whats the best way to get up to date info?

I know alot of people with BASI qualifications, but hold them....NO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New Generation and ICE also run BASI courses, and both have a number of BASI Trainers on their roster.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Do they run courses, or are they more ski school? ie can you book a weeks all day coaching?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
elbrus wrote:
rob@rar, Do they run courses, or are they more ski school? ie can you book a weeks all day coaching?

Not sure I understand the question? They run courses leading to BASI qualifications, but they also teach recreational skiers, in the same way as all the schools you listed in your first post (except for Mountain Tracks?). I'd guess that if you gave them enough money you could arrange coaching/instruction in whatever format you wanted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, sorry im not clear. I want to book a week long, all day course to develop my skiing skills. Want to do that with BASI ISTD/Trainer so I get up dated info. Want do do it with like minded people ( training towards the same goal). Who do you recomend?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think all of them would do a reasonable job, depending on what exactly you wanted to focus on. I've skied with two of the schools you listed in your first post and had a good experience, plus I've skied with NewGen a lot and have a week booked with ICE this season. I don't think you need to get too hung up on skiing with a BASI Trainer - a good ISTD will provide first class instruction, especially if you have personal recommendations from here or elsewhere.

For me I'd find a week long, all day course which focused entirely on stretching my personal skills would be too demanding, physically and emotionally. About three hours a day instruction, then some time for consolidating those skills away from class is about right for me. You also have to factor in evening video feedback, and possible some fitness sessions. This all adds up to an incredible busy week. I don't think I'd cope if there was six hours of intensive instruction per day plus the other stuff!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
elbrus, Are just starting on the BASI route ?Why not get some (much cheaper) training at your local dry/indoor slope first ? You'll then arrive at your course much better prepared wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
elbrus wrote:
rob@rar, sorry im not clear. I want to book a week long, all day course to develop my skiing skills. Want to do that with BASI ISTD/Trainer so I get up dated info. Want do do it with like minded people ( training towards the same goal). Who do you recomend?

Pete Silver-Gillespie BASI ISTD Trainer @ Alpine Coaching.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
elbrus,

I haven't used them, but you might want to take a look at

http://www.world-class-skiing.com

I had a lot of tuition from Alex (a long time ago), and would recommend any outfit that he is involved with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
elbrus, If youy want to eventually train for a BASI Instructors license why not start with one of BASI European business partners who you would take your instructor training with. Choice is mainly dependant on location.

New Gen, ICE, BACE and BASS. All get good reports and as approved centres i would guess would be up to speed on current info.
snow report
You could also try www.skivolution.co.uk/

All staff are ISTD or above,

Courchevel is also a bit of a BASI training ground.

Good luck
snow report
elbrus, One thing to note is that the Trainers will be shifted around to avoid commercial pressures from their home ski school to get high pass rates..

For instance the ski manager of skivolution in courchevel does instructor training for New Gen in Courchevel. There are < 80 BASI trainers and you have NO choice as to who you get to avoid favouritism on instructor courses. Best to pick the ski school that ticks your boxes and get to know them and if you wish to progress to instructor training. You wont be allowed to "select" which trainer you get on an official BASI course.
ski holidays
elbrus, Alpine Coaching or worldclass skiing are excellent organisations to consider if you want current, up to date direction, input and coaching.
snow report
I don't feel qualified to answer this question but can personally strongly recommend both alpine coaching and snoworks for personal performance.
ski holidays
elbrus wrote:
rob@rar, sorry im not clear. I want to book a week long, all day course to develop my skiing skills.

Easy book flight to Denver and ski with Fastman .... Razz
latest report
Maybe Alpine Coaching should be re-named Caucasus Coaching wink
latest report
St Maurice of Borg, quite funny, close, but WRONG!
ski holidays
elbrus, I guess you know a thing or two about the Caucasus.
snow report
laundryman, Know they are in Spain!
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
elbrus, I guess you know a thing or two about the Caucasus.

elbrus wrote:
laundryman, Know they are in Spain!

Shocked Puzzled
snow report
So what b]little tiger[/b], and elbrus, laundryman, happened to Mt Elbrus? Has it done a bunk to the beaches of Spain for a week or so?

The Ruskies will be a bit p****d **f if the hills for the next Olympics have gone AWOL. snowHead

As for Snow Orks... can't stand the pace. Early off the hill and early to bed. Mmm what happened to hard core performance training.

Regards to Phil Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Snowshark,

Quote:
Regards to Phil

Who's Phil? Puzzled
latest report
 monster77
monster77
Spyderman wrote:
Snowshark,

Quote:
Regards to Phil

Who's Phil? Puzzled

Could be the Phil that runs Snow Orks??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
monster77, Oh yeah, Doh
snow conditions
Beat me to it monster77,

In all seriousness Spyderman, Phil has an excellent team at Snow Orks. I understand PSG also helps out occasionally and I believe you already know Stuart Bernard who's face appears on the current snoworks web site. An excellent all round performance coach.
snow report
Snowshark wrote:
Beat me to it monster77,

In all seriousness Spyderman, Phil has an excellent team at Snow Orks. I understand PSG also helps out occasionally and I believe you already know Stuart Bernard who's face appears on the current snoworks web site. An excellent all round performance coach.

I've skied with Snow Orks (Smile) a few times and have always been very impressed with the quality of the instructors that they use.
latest report
Snowshark,
Quote:
I believe you already know Stuart Bernard

Ask him about Plough-Parallels on a Simulator Toofy Grin Laughing

Nothing but good things to say about Snow Orks. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy