Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody go skiing in scotland? If so when do you go and how do you get there? How good is it?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vicky, First we need to know where your from so we can tell you how to get there. Skiing in jockland is a very hit and miss affair but can be great if you are VERY lucky with the weather. Planning much more than 24 hours in advance is a waste of time as the weather is very changeable.

I would guesstimate that in a 90 –120 day season there will be AT MOST 10 days where the weather will be fine and there will be fairly to good snow on the piste.
The rest of the time it will be storm force winds, dense fog , snowing or raining.

I skied there (Cairngorm, Nevis range, Glenshee and Glencoe) for many years until I moved to South Wales 7 years ago.

To get the best chance of a good day skiing in Jockland

A watch the weather & snow reports every day for weeks
B be prepared to go within 24hours notice
C a have your car packed and ready to go
D get up super early on your chosen day and check the weather reports again.
IF things still look good jump in your motor and boot it to the resort with the best forecast.

I would suggest that if you live South of Edinburgh or Glasgow it’s not worth the effort and certainly not worth booking in advance.
Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would second Boardski's post.

It is a 4 hour drive from where I live and I haven't seen really good snow yet. Icy, foggy, windy, rainy .... plenty of that. Only did Glenshee and Caingrorm at weekends only.

There is a saying that if you can manage skiing Scotland you can ski anywhere in the world. Think there is some truth in it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
xxx

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 19-10-04 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reluctantly I have to agree, thats what the last few years have been like. Hardly ever enough snow and bad conditions regularly. But it used not to be like this 20 or even 10 years ago. Then you could be fairly sure there would be enough snow any time you went up. The snow might be boilerplate most of the time from the wind, but there were quite a lot of good days. One of my first experiences was making first tracks down deep powder in the back bowl at Nevis Range ( Photo from the good bit last season ).
There have been lots of threads on this, including the tentative idea of a Snowheads visit this coming season. Well, we might suddenly get a good season again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been twice, both years ago. First time 1 day at Glen Shee, couldn't ski, stoned, brilliant time. 2nd time weekend at Aviemore, could ski, not stoned, most unpleasant skiing conditions I've ever experienced, pissing down, slopes either ice or water skiing, unbelievably squalid facilities.

No doubt Aviemore's better now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is some truth in what you say. As Glasgow is only 1.5 hours from Glencoe. it is quite easy to check out at 8.00am and be there 9.30am. As to 10 decent days per season, well last year, one of the worst seasons for snow, there were a lot more than that including some great skiing January and April.

Was up on the funicular at Cairngorm today and the snow level is half way down M1 / White Lady.

I'm afraid I wouldn't really regard skiiing as my main winter sport if all I had was a couple of weeks abroad. Skiing every week is my aim and as I do not live abroad, I consider myself lucky to live in Scotland where in most seasons, I can frequently ski, although I would readily accept there have been some rather spartan seasons of late.

Sure the weather can be bad, but good too. Last season in Val d'Isere we had a week of howling gales, zero visibility and concrete runs. Very Happy Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes,

The Scots and people living in the north of England do.

It doesn't really compare with the Alps but those who ski there tend to be passionate about it because it does offer special experiences that are not found in the Alps.

The conditions are usually rather variable. They can however be superb. Three years ago the cairngorms had the best skiing in the northern hemisphere. There seems to be a correlation between poor skiing in the Alps and good skiing in Scotland.

Despite a poor season last year there were still some great days. Have a look at these pictures from Glencoe http://winterhighland.com/glencoe/pics_17_jan_04.php

To get the good conditions you have to be flexible, but I've always found it worth the effort. Besides if the skiing is poor or closed then there always plenty of other things to do, especially if you are keen on other outdoor activities.

The skiing is generally more challenging than most mainstream resorts and because of that the standard of skiing is surprisingly high, higher than most large interconnected Alpine stations anyway. Its no accident that Britains best skiers and snowboarders tend to be Scottish.

It really is true that if you ski in Scotland, everywhere else will seem easy. Laughing

If you regard it as a valuable addition to your skiing season rather than a replacement, then you probably won't be dissapointed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two websites:
Ski Scotland
WinterHighland

You can drive up (about 9 hours driving from London), or take a night train (eg for West coast - to Glasgow overnight, then change for Fort William or hire a car), or fly (Glasgow for West coast) then hire car...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 27-10-04 0:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IF - the conditions are working- it's worth the effort for a mid-week trip....weekend crowds can be horrendous when the snow is decent - had a foot of powder at Nevis Range 2 years ago me, couple of boarder mates and about 50 others - with blue skys - bliss
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oooh ooo look at the snow at cairngorm! So exciting!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vicky, yes people do go skiing in Scotland. They are the Special People. The Chosen Ones.
They are all completely bonkers.
For example: see that couloir? (the adding of "Jimmy" to this question is optional).
Do you think anyone would be mad enough to ski it? Would you ski it?
Well, if you look carefully about a third of the way down you will see Gavin.
And here a bit further down is Ben.
As I said: completely bonkers.
Pictures from CairnGorm Mountain - Sunday 16th May 2004, as seen on Winterhighland .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vicky, I lived in Scotland for two years in the early 90s. In that time I had about a weeks worth of good days.....

From here in the sunny southeast, I can be in Chamonix two hours faster than Cairgorm. The White Lady, West Wall etc can be fantastic.....but given the choice, I think the Grands Montets would win.

However, you should go at least once. If you're lucky, you'll have a fantastic day's skiing which you'll probably remember for ever, if not, well there's alwats whisky tasting.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I prefer Nevis range (and Glencoe down the road) because of the back bowl (see pic of entry point in my post above) and not having the snow fences hemming-in all the pistes, which are an eyesore. Also I think the views are even better (you can see the sea and ranks of mountains to the Cuillins in Skye in clear weather).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scottish ski-ing is as good as anywhere in the world on a good day. It's sad they've had several bad winters lately, but the weather's not as bad as it's made out - it rains at least as many days per winter in LDA as it does in Aviemore (and it's colder).

Sadly though, I have to echo the other sentiments: if you can go on the spur of the moment as an extra it's brilliant, but to book your one week of the year ........ well, it would be hard to recommend it. Easter can be good though, andyou can always go pony trekking or visit distilliaries if there's no snow! Aviemore is only 30 mins to visit Nessie too. Little Angel
latest report
easiski, what kind of aircraft do you use when you visit Nessie from Aviemore?
snow conditions
handyman, A land-based submarine Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy