Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Himalayas. Too Little ? Too Late ?

deleted
deleted
It took a Brit to realise the full potential of the Three Valleys - Peter Lindsay way back in 1938, well before the ski boom. Thanks to him many of us now enjoy the delights of the world’s biggest and best ski resort. Brits who like France but do not like the French love the place because they are surrounded by their own, in British-run chalets and apartments. Those who drive to the slopes need only one stop on the way there to do a big shop and one on the way back for their duty free .

But Meribel was dreamt up nearly 70 years ago.

Since then, we skiers can all give thanks to the budget airlines for opening up inexpensive options to the package market. The recent good news that the budget airlines are going to New York got me thinking.

If they can do New York, why not the Himalayas ? That whole area is woefully underdeveloped. The finest range of mountains in the world and not a single proper ski resort. True, some skiers do go there - but they tend to be the intrepid and the rich, to whom money is no object.

Surely there must be a politically safe area in the Himalayas that is ripe for development. Obviously Nepal is risky. I would have thought that somewhere in India would be suitable. There would be no red tape like in the EC to hamper a well-run budget airline operation. Clearly the areas would be too poor to pay the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet the annual fee to fly to their airports - but there are other options. An area could be set aside for the carriers to develop as their own ski areas. They could quite literally be given the land in return for inward investment.

Firstly there could be a cheap resort with few lifts and minimal piste grooming for experienced skiers. This would test the whole idea. I would market this as a ‘retro’ concept - a sort of Alta, without the annoying Americans.

Clearly this would be a hotel-based resort, making use of the cheap local labour or bussing them in from other areas of the sub-continent if necessary. Other areas of work would be transfer buses and a large number of security staff to keep out the beggars and locals who have no business being there. The aim is a sort of gated community to provide a top-quality holiday experience with no reminder that holiday-makers are actually in the Third World.

Once this resort became established, Phase Two would be an altogether bigger resort with the finest four and five star hotels. These would offer the height of luxury. The cuisine would be international, but all hotels would offer a range of restaurants. Indian cuisine would also be available in a separate restaurant. This would please the chicken tikka brigade, whilst not upsetting the older folks who cannot stand the smell of curry. Beer would not be a problem. Brits are already used to Cobra and Kingfisher. Wine could be imported.

The Final Stage would be chalets and self-catering. This would be the most difficult. Few Brits would be driving to India. Self-catering would be a nightmare because there are no proper grocery shops in the sub-continent. However, Tesco, Sainsbury etc are no slouchs. A few years of success and I am sure they could be persuaded to provide supermarkets offering Kellogg’s cornflakes, Marmite etc. This would allow chalets to flourish and enable those who prefer to self cater to do so at last.

Depending on the success or otherwise of the initial resorts and the availability of funds, British companies could stake out the best areas of Himalayan real estate for future development.

As the budget airlines developed the market, ski hire could be the way forward. This would be cheap and would please the green brigade as there would be no extra weight on the planes - just fare-paying passengers.

Summer could bring a different market. There is potential for these resorts to operate all year round.

However, I am mindful that this sort of opportunity cannot last forever. A growing, moneyed, Indian middle class will soon look to ski themselves. If the Brits do not get in early they could be priced out of this opportunity. If they get in early they could make their money quickly and then sell the resorts on American-style when they get a bit tired-looking or their potential fades.

What do other Snowheads think ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now you got me thinking, Why haven't Sainsbury's or Tesco's moved to Chamonix?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Afganistahn's mountains often seem to have wonderful snow on in TV coverage. Skullie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Goldsmith wrote:
The Himalayas. Too Little ?

Perhaps they are too little, yes.
What size would you like them to be?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sounds no different to what we've already done in the Caribbean and places like Cancun (Mexico), the Maldives, and all those other places where people go for exotic holidays in all-inclusive gated communities for as little as £500/week now. Some even go out to deliberately provide employment for the locals and boost local economies (some don't, mind you).

What are the train services like to the Himalayas?
snow report
 deleted
deleted
Afghanistan raises a number of issues.Clearly the ski areas would need to be well away from Taliban-type trouble spots.

However, an additional opportunity exists to provide R&R facilities for those Allied troops in the combat zone. The Vietnam war made Thailand after all. However, I think those two markets need to be kept very separate. Troops will want cheap booze and lewd entertainment. This would not be helpful for the development of the sort of upmarket ski resorts I have in mind.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You want expensive booze and lewd entertainment?
ski holidays
 deleted
deleted
petemillis, You have quickly grasped the concept.

Our competitors already have their own home ski areas. Ignoring Scotland, the UK does not. This could give added impetus for Brits to look elsewhere - especially if there is an overspill of Russians from Courchevel into Meribel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I shall contemplate this matter while flying to the Mediterranean this evening.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So that is the way the skiing industry should respond to the climate change.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis wrote:
You want expensive booze and lewd entertainment?

ahhhh, Chamonix . . . the underbelly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a few ski fields in the Indian Himilaya, I skied in one near the tibetan border. Really good fun. It had one tow rope of about 100 metres(not working of course). Although you could hire someone to push you up the hill in what looked like a garden bench! We stayed in a "hotel" and hired our skis and food for about £3 quid. Brilliant friendly locals who couldnt do enough for you. Amazing scenery, endless possibilities.
There are a few more in the Himalaya, SilverStar in Canada sent one of their old lifts to somewhere in India.
Doesnt cost that much to go there either - cheap flight to Delhi, Bus to Shimla, bus to Manali, bus to the mountains. Probablt cheaper overall than a boozy trip to the three valleys or Cham. Just maybe a little bit of a tougher journey (although if you have flown out of leeds/Bradford not to bad)
snow conditions
 deleted
deleted
cham Nice one. Clearly cheap skiing is already available in India without the need for budget airlines. All we need is a more upmarket option.

I found this site which lists the main resorts. Gulmarg seems to be the most developed

http://www.travel-himalayas.com/himalaya-adventure-activities-sports/snow-skiing.html

Clearly there is great enthusiasm on Snowheads for Himalayan skiing.

The season from December to March seems short but I suspect that is because there are so few skiers.

I am not sure about all the bus changes required either. I reckon the Indians should open a purpose-built airport closer to the skiing. People do not need transfer hassles. Heliskiing also has boundless opportunities for expansion but I think it would still be on the dear side.

One bonus I forgot to mention is that if there is significant global warming the Himalayas are so much higher than the Alps and Rockies that they could be one of the last places to lose snow. All the more reason to get in at the start in this region.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cham wrote:
There are a few ski fields in the Indian Himilaya, I skied in one near the tibetan border. Really good fun.

Hello, Cham. Could you tell a little bit more about skiing in Manali? I am going to be there for 2 days in this February. If I rightly undersand that someone should wallk up to reach slopes? How far to walk? and are there long slopes?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Tundra,

I skied at a little place called Solang Nulla. I was there in 2003 so things might have changed. Solang Nulla is about an hour by bus from Manali. Theres not much there apart from some guest houses with million dollar views and a few eating places. The slopes themselves are not really up to much. It is a skiing destination very much in its infancy. However you are right in the middle of the Himalaya, you are only limited by how much energy you want to use walking upwards. There was some pretty ropey hire equipment when we where there. If you learnt on skinny skis youll be right. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy