Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hurrah ! Time For A Colourful Chart

brian
brian
I know you'll all have been missing these through the long summer .... wink

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oh no I had just forgotten about the hours I spent searching for signs of a change in weather last season, along with watching webcams Laughing

Having said all that, its almost time to think skiing again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can i say now before the season gets underway. ANYTHING OUTSIDE 48hrs IS UNRELIABLE if last season was anything to go by on these charts!

Let it snow
David
ski holidays
 brian
brian
skinutter wrote:
ANYTHING OUTSIDE 48hrs IS UNRELIABLE if last season was anything to go by on these charts!

Spoilsport ! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So glad I don't understand the charts... I'd be analyzing them continously.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
does that = cold scotland, warm Europe then Brian??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I too had kind of hoped to put off worrying about Alpine weather for a month or two, but no......

snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kitenski, it means a reasonable chance of some snow on high ground exposed to the north. Europe not especially warm, I think that's average-ish for September.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, nothing to see really, just a wee bit of Scottish hill snow that will last about a day even if it arrives ! Still, stirs thoughts of winter in the chart obsessed skier Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, Isn't the arrival of Skanky on this thread a sign of winter?

snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, the proverbial one skanky that doesn't make a winter ? Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am new to these type of charts as well.

However, because of conditions last year I started to review the metcheck.com site, primary the Atlantic jet stream conditions, when it snowed good in Austria I checked the prevous 7 day forecast from metcheck then looked for similair patterns of weather and booked my hols last min based the jet streams Alantic flow.

In 2007 went twice to Austria based on these predictions and guess what ...snowed both times and had great boarding conditions.

Well thats how I do it and it appears to work. The weather is all about the jet stream, trust me..

Cheers

The Mongoose
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is this a multi coloured "spot the British Isles competition" or something?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i dont know about anyone else, but winter hasn't even got here and i'm sick of people predicting what the weather will do already.

it will do what it will do. You cant change it, so what is the point of worrying about it and predicting it.

just wait and see.

I personally will have a great winter what ever the weather does, cos i dont moan about it and i will make the best out of what ever comes.
latest report
 brian
brian
snowangel., calm down dear, it's only a waste of bandwidth on an internet forum wink

Que sera sera ....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, LOL exactly but can you please tell the numpty's that keep going on about it that!
was so cold last week up the granon, this week its summer again.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
snowangel., Stop trying to be sensible. This is snow we are talking about! wink

snowHead
ski holidays
At the risk of appearing to be a numpty (and then speaking and removing all doubt.....) 6 cm forecast in La Tania for Monday! Woohooooooo! Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowangel. wrote:
i dont know about anyone else, but winter hasn't even got here and i'm sick of people predicting what the weather will do already.

it will do what it will do. You cant change it, so what is the point of worrying about it and predicting it.

just wait and see.

I personally will have a great winter what ever the weather does, cos i dont moan about it and i will make the best out of what ever comes.

Jeepers, sounds like staying at your place would be a right laugh. Shocked Puzzled
snow report
another colourful one Very Happy
snow report
Anniepen wrote:
At the risk of appearing to be a numpty (and then speaking and removing all doubt.....) 6 cm forecast in La Tania for Monday! Woohooooooo! Laughing

Are you sure? Freezing level looks to be well above 3,000m at the start of next week.
latest report
gwaelod, you should try it then maybe you'd know. not had any complaints yet and lots of rebooks.
Put it this way if you want to know an area like a local then you want to come and stay with us. As i said i dont moan about the weather like most of the doom merchants on here and i do have a great time what ever.....
or didn't you bother to read any of the reports of serre chevalier last year.

infact dont bother coming to stay with us, more room for people who do want to come and have some serious fun without doom merchants ruining it

NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowangel. wrote:
gwaelod, you should try it then maybe you'd know. not had any complaints yet and lots of rebooks.
Put it this way if you want to know an area like a local then you want to come and stay with us. As i said i dont moan about the weather like most of the doom merchants on here and i do have a great time what ever.....
or didn't you bother to read any of the reports of serre chevalier last year.

infact dont bother coming to stay with us, more room for people who do want to come and have some serious fun without doom merchants ruining it

NehNeh

As I said. Charming. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Well, it WAS Snow Forecast but I like positivity wink Very Happy
snow conditions
Well - how about this next week!!! - I'm out to the Alps, supposedly for some Via Ferrata-ing - maybe take the planks instead Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...WTF does that mean?!
ski holidays
Timmaah, Below average temperatures I think. Smile

snowHead
latest report
Sage, but only one or two of the outliers can anywhere near freezing. Can't see much hope in that forecast for snow, other than perhaps the very highest terrain. The 17th-20th looks like lots of rain.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Is it the thick blue, green or gray line that is more relevant, I can never remember.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the grey line is the average of the ensemble forecasts.
snow conditions
What does it all mean Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
Headplant wrote:

It means that if you live somewhere and you look out the window and it is snowing, it is actually snowing.

Joking aside way, way to early to even try and predict the winter snows. The lack of snow last year suddenly made everyone a chart expert.

snowHead Laughing
snow report
Headplant wrote:

This thread should give you some clues.
snow conditions
rob'rar, Ah, now I understand. I was trying to work out what all the scales were and the two sets of lines just lost me, but now I see. The coloured map was also an odd one, couldn't find the uk in this thread but it's a lot clearer if you know here to look. Very Happy Thanks I now know what I'm looking at and what the implications are, must get me a link to the site that produces them, almost as good as watching web-cams. Laughing Well almost.[/b]
latest report
Headplant wrote:
... must get me a link to the site that produces them

Try here for lots of charts, not just GFS.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
The 17th-20th looks like lots of rain.

Agreed Sad unless you can get over 3500m.
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, Swirly, are you looking at the chart geoffers posted above ? That's showing a cold front, with a snow/rain line dropping sharply to below 2000m I would've thought.
snow report
Read some snow reports on the ski resorts sites seems to be around 2200~ and 2700~ depending on the day. Either way looks like the glaciers will get some more snow base.
snow report
brian wrote:
rob@rar, Swirly, are you looking at the chart geoffers posted above ? That's showing a cold front, with a snow/rain line dropping sharply to below 2000m I would've thought.

It was just a quick look on GFS for the French Alps. Without comparing across several different models I though that when the precipitation was forecast the snowline would be much closer to 3,000m than 2,000m, with temperatures dropping below that over the following couple of days (but no significant precipitation). But I most certainly bow to your superior knowledge on this, and hopefully the glacier at Tignes will get a good top up (as I'm there in six weeks Smile)
snow report
brian, as rob@rar says it was from the GFS chart, to me it looked like the temperature for the precipitation spike was about +10 and IIRC this refers to about 1500m asl. However, I will also bow to your superior judgement as everything I have learnt about these charts has been from reading your posts.
snow report
Quote:

Let it snow
David

Damn right!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy